Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM

82 posts, read 110,952 times

Advertisements

seems like the potential workplace is right between them on the map. Sounds like Tigard is a tad less expensive than Metzger. Based on what I am seeing, 250k will do the trick for what my needs are.

Looks like Eugene will be a little less, maybe around 200k.

Portland people, why do you/would you prefer Portland over Eugene? I need to start making a list of pros and cons for both locals. Having been to Eugene a good dozen times, I try to fool myself that I know what is it is like there, but a week or two every year is for sure not living there. Hopefully there are a number of people on the forum who are familiar with both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
I like both, but my husband's job requires him to be near a major airport, and it was easier for me to find a job in Portland.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil View Post
seems like the potential workplace is right between them on the map. Sounds like Tigard is a tad less expensive than Metzger. Based on what I am seeing, 250k will do the trick for what my needs are.

Looks like Eugene will be a little less, maybe around 200k.

Portland people, why do you/would you prefer Portland over Eugene? I need to start making a list of pros and cons for both locals. Having been to Eugene a good dozen times, I try to fool myself that I know what is it is like there, but a week or two every year is for sure not living there. Hopefully there are a number of people on the forum who are familiar with both?
There's really no comparison between them. Eugene is a city of 160k, Portland metro area is around 3 million. Both have colleges, but Eugene is a college town and Portland is a city with some colleges in it. Weather and surrounding landscape no real difference between the two. There will be lots more jobs, more services, more entertainment, more everything available in Portland. Prices for real estate will be higher in Portland, but likely so will your income. It really depends if you want to live next to/in a major city or if you prefer to live a couple of hours away from a major city and whether you can find jobs that pay you the desired salary in a city of 160k.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
There's really no comparison between them. Eugene is a city of 160k, Portland metro area is around 3 million. Both have colleges, but Eugene is a college town and Portland is a city with some colleges in it. Weather and surrounding landscape no real difference between the two. There will be lots more jobs, more services, more entertainment, more everything available in Portland. Prices for real estate will be higher in Portland, but likely so will your income. It really depends if you want to live next to/in a major city or if you prefer to live a couple of hours away from a major city and whether you can find jobs that pay you the desired salary in a city of 160k.
Having lived in both, I agree with patches 100%. I would just add that you can find quiet areas and active areas in each city if you look for them. Also, it's easier to get around in Eugene because of its size and population (less traffic). Also faster to get out of town for the same reasons.

I know this is subjective, but I find Portland to be more interesting on many fronts: culturally, entertainment-wise, food, but mostly the physical landscape. The Gorge is a sight to behold, and being able to see the grandeur of Mt. Hood regularly (when we're not socked in) is never boring.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:16 PM

8 posts, read 8,255 times
Your commute would be longer if you move towards Scappoose or St Helens, around 45 minutes But you will be In a rural area. $250 out there can get you a decent sized home on acreage or a 2200 plus square foot home on decent sized lots. Less than an hour to the beach, 30 minutes to Portland, 30 minutes to really nice camping.

There isn't much to do if you are used to big towns but you can see a movie, get popcorn, snacks, drinks for two and spend less than $20. There are a ton of antique stores and small businesses. It is a very "support local businesses" community. Local farms with fresh produce are very close, local honey suppliers, tons of hidden hiking trails.

The majority of people living out there do commute and until you get over the hill and onto hwy 26 or into Portland, there is no traffic.

Very small towns though. Better for people that enjoy the outdoors, lots of hunters, 4x4ers, etc out there.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:22 AM

thanks all very much for the great info and feedback!

Quote:
Your commute would be longer if you move towards Scappoose or St Helens, around 45 minutes But you will be In a rural area. $250 out there can get you a decent sized home on acreage or a 2200 plus square foot home on decent sized lots. Less than an hour to the beach, 30 minutes to Portland, 30 minutes to really nice camping.
That sounds really nice and perhaps more of what I am looking for....I have about 15 more years of work before retirement, and buying closer to the city and having to sell, and then buy a retirement place in a more rural small town place is probably not what I want to do. Especially if that could be found with relatively easy access to the city, coast and fishing and camping spots! I need to investigate those places! More rural, less urban, is very attractive. I will say Tigard and that area sure does seem about as nice as a suburb as one could ask for compared to down here.

thanks again all. these comments are awesome and very helpful.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:06 PM

question:

do lots of people live in Vancouver to not pay state income taxes, but work/shop in Portland to not pay sales taxes? Does that even work?

Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
People who live in Vancouver but work in Oregon pay Oregon income taxes; they pay sales tax on cars because they can't avoid it because of registration, otherwise they shop in Oregon.

The commute over either Columbia River bridge can be beastly.

Frankly I am not a fan of commuting over the hill from Scappoose or St. Helens. The drive from Scappoose is doable but the roads, whether Hgy 30 into Portland or Cornelius Pass Road to Hillsboro, are not a fun drive particularly in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland