Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:06 PM

95 posts, read 116,855 times

Advertisements

The springwater trail around 82nd feels like a seasonal ghetto when summer rolls around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 AM

171 posts, read 305,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I remember when I first moved here, I was given a driving tour by a couple locals. I was told we're entering the ghetto, and after a short while I asked how much further. They turned to me surprised, and said "we're here!" In most cities, these would be considered working class neighborhoods. Portland has an amazingly intact city both structurally and socially.
this!
we just came back from our first visit to pdx and on our drive to our friends place from the airport we went through what they called their 'bad neighborhood'. coming from NYC i just laughed as it felt like a working class area, certainly not a ghetto. I honestly didn't see one person, in 9 days of walking and driving all around the city from vancouver to SE, that i felt was a threat.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:52 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
this!
we just came back from our first visit to pdx and on our drive to our friends place from the airport we went through what they called their 'bad neighborhood'. coming from NYC i just laughed as it felt like a working class area, certainly not a ghetto. I honestly didn't see one person, in 9 days of walking and driving all around the city from vancouver to SE, that i felt was a threat.

Fine. I can agree that our ghettos here are rather nice. I've seen worse looking areas in parts of SE Portland.

But I have to ask. What is a threatening person supposed to look like???

Old 08-02-2016, 04:29 PM

686 posts, read 806,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post

depending on the people you are around, an employer with a job application could be seen as threatening. lol

Old 08-02-2016, 04:47 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,190 times
Quote:
Fine. I can agree that our ghettos here are rather nice. I've seen worse looking areas in parts of SE Portland.

I don't thinks it's a question of the person but rather the situation. There is NO part of the greater Portland metro that I would be scared to walk alone at night. Now it may certainly be more safer in some parts than others, but there is no neighborhood that really worries me. I would NOT do that in East Oakland, or Compton, or many other inner city neighborhoods around the country.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times
Here's an article from 2014 that could be of interest: GoLocalPDX | Portland’s Most Dangerous Neighborhoods

Old 08-04-2016, 11:12 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
I would have to have a damned good reason to walk around Old Town at night.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:58 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Barhopping is usually the reason people walk around Old town at night. I don't go out drinking at night, so I avoid that area for that reason, not because it is an area I would feel unsafe.

Though these days, there are parts of the Springwater Corridor I won't ride down, which is a real shame that we have let such a great resource fall by the wayside like that.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
Though these days, there are parts of the Springwater Corridor I won't ride down, which is a real shame that we have let such a great resource fall by the wayside like that.
Yeah, even the Hood to Coast run has detoured around the bad part of the SWC.
It's a total shame, and an huge embarrassment for Portland.

What is supposed to be one of Portland’s most beloved off street paths has become one of the most unsafe places in all of the city.

People are calling it "Fury Road" after the Mad Max movie.

For all the tax money Portlanders have spent to develop this wonderful trail and adjacent restored wetlands and wildlife areas, it's all been money and effort down the drain.

A big thank you to the worthless Mayor Hales and his wonderful leadership.......NOT

Old 08-05-2016, 11:11 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,190 times
Quote:

Been there, done that on a few occasions. The place is Disneyland compared to East Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland