Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,683 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be moving to Portland to attend a speciality college located in SW Portland - any suggestions as to areas to check out for a rental? I have two neutered cats and one neutered malemute. I am a 55-year-old widow who is quite open-minded and ready to begin a "new phase" of my life. Any information will be greatly appreciated! Many Thanks!

Last edited by Alyeska Woman; 01-18-2008 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 04:39 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Dear Alyeksa ~~~ Wonder what your name means ....... Best of luck to you and ..... well, let me know how things go for you. I am retiring in June (a little older than you) and I also am moving to Portland . I even have a cat ( just one , a fat Maine Coon named Gracie) .
I'm moving to begin again , in a way, also.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,683 times
Default Greetings Nancy!!

I chuckled at your wondering what my name means - so, to "enlighten" you - Alyeska means "great country" or "great north country" - so my name means Woman of the Great North Country - I was born and raised primarily in Anchorage, Alaska! Actually, Alyeska is where the name Alaska came from also!

Thank you for introducing yourself and telling me about your cat - one of mine, Shadow, is black and sleek and the other one, Little Man, is actually quite big and fat! LOL!

I'll keep in contact as it would be nice to have new friends with whom to meet and have a light lunch and or coffee once I'm settled in Portland!

I hope your weekend was fantastic!

Vicki

Old 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
SW Portland is a very large geographic area....can you give more details on the location and what you're looking for?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:50 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Default Starting Over in Potland

This is to both adventurous women moving here...
I moved here almost 8 years ago to "start over". It was very much worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I lived in Spokane in my early 20s then took a break (HA) to raise my family and lived in the Midwest.

Finally wended my way back here when I was in a position to call the shots. (Kids grown etc.). I wish you well in this new adventure! I found a lot of healing here. I'd be glad to help any way I can...
Regards,
Deb

Old 01-22-2008, 05:28 PM

Wink gypsydoc, thank you for your kind words.

I found a lot of healing here.

That is just about what I need, gypsy. Healing. That is why I am coming from so very far away. I'm very anxious for my new life to begin (just have to wait to retire in June ) .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-02-2008 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 PM

I had a feeling that your name was an Inuit (Alaskan) one. There are, in New York, virtually no Alaskans, but I have seen many on the Portland site. I guess it is still the (lower) PNW.
What kind of school will you be attending ? You'll be there a little ahead of me. I still am not sure whether to rent first or to buy a small condo. Depends upon the market , I guess.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Try Craigs List to get an idea of what's available. From articles I've read, it's a landlord's market. But all of southwest is a nice area. I'd start looking there. Commuting can be difficult if you're crossing bridges - they tend to bottle-neck things up.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks , enrico. I would probably not be really commuting since I'll be retired and can sort of go into the midst of the city whenever it is convenient. I am looking to be close to public transport, though.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 AM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Default More moving stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Thanks , enrico. I would probably not be really commuting since I'll be retired and can sort of go into the midst of the city whenever it is convenient. I am looking to be close to public transport, though.
Have you been here before? If so, did you have some time to nose about the different areas? As you've noticed, there are plenty of opinions on this site. It reminds me of the 6 blind men trying to describe an elephant... each had a different part. One thought an elephant was like a tree.. He was touching a leg. Another, thought an elephant was flat, like a large leaf... He was learning the ear... etc... They all had a piece of the truth, but none of them truly knew the whole elephant. Yet none of them were wrong, either.

Keep doing searches for various websites that have information. The Chambers of Commerce are a good resource as well. If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to let me know.
Best,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: