Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:12 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

My wife has borne up very bravely under a number of circumstances she absolutely hates. To show my appreciation and respect for that, I want to take her on a photography drive. She normally does most of the driving, but I'm behind the wheel this time. I want her to be totally free to enjoy the scenery and ask me to stop whenever so she can take pictures.

There is no form of scenery that we don't enjoy in the region, so we are open to anything. We figure the coast will be pretty busy, though, and we'd like to get away from crowds, who can be assumed to be cramming all the popular places. We figure a couple hours' drive there and back. While the Gorge is always a winner, it's the part we have seen very many times, and we'd like to explore.

Where would you suggest we go? If there's a different route on the way back, even better. Doesn't have to be two full hours out, just would like to discover more about the natural beauty of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 01:59 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Right off the top of my head...
Sauvie Island
Mt St Helens
Timberline Lodge
82nd & Flavel

(just kidding about one of those four)

Old 07-05-2015, 02:15 PM

Heh. I can guess which one.

Drove past Sauve Island when we went to St. John. Looked interesting. We went to Mt. St. H two weeks ago. Most impressive, but a little soon for us to hit it again.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:13 PM

478 posts, read 881,863 times
It's too hot for it right now, and a bit more than 2 hours, but the Painted Hills are amazing.

A little closer to home, there are some lovely drives through the wine country that offer all kinds of bucolic photo opportunities

Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Heh. I can guess which one.

Drove past Sauve Island when we went to St. John. Looked interesting. We went to Mt. St. H two weeks ago. Most impressive, but a little soon for us to hit it again.
Yeah, I was just joking about Timberline Lodge. The scenery of 82nd & Flavel is just dying to be photographed.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
It's too hot for it right now, and a bit more than 2 hours, but the Painted Hills are amazing.

A little closer to home, there are some lovely drives through the wine country that offer all kinds of bucolic photo opportunities
You know, as we were headed out past Sandy, my wife brought up that idea. I've never been that far out in east-central Oregon, but she says it's pretty amazing indeed. That will probably be a stayover trip. Not sure what's near for lodging; maybe Prineville might be a good option. Her work occasionally takes her out toward John Day, but on those days she's on a schedule (and there is probably not a lot for me to do by myself in John Day while she does her work stuff).

Old 07-05-2015, 09:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Mt Angel and the farming area nearby. (Hops are interesting for photo ops)
Silver Falls region and back to Salem.

Forest Grove, Yamhill, McMinnville, Amity, good during farming / harvest season (might be slow).
(*can stop and enjoy a few McMennanins (gardens and pubs))
I usually find something to take pics of in each of their locations.
McMenamins - Forest Grove Hotel - The Grand Lodge
McMenamins - Oregon Wine Country Hotels - Hotel Oregon
McMenamins - Hillsboro Pub - Cornelius Pass Roadhouse & Imbrie Hall
McMenamins - Thompson Brewery & Public House Home

Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
My favorite drives.

Lusted rd out to Ten Eyck Rd and up Bull Run.

224 east of Estacada

Lucia Falls Rd. along the Lewis River

Dickie Prarie Rd. then Molalla Forest Rd. along Molalla River

Larch Mountain Rd. up to Larch Mountain.

Out to Scotts Mill and then Abiqua Falls

Washougal River Rd.

240 out of yamhill then 47 back to Forest Grove.

Nehalem Hwy. Banks to Vernonia to Elsie then to the coast or back to Portland. Or you can go to Astoria on 201.

WA 4 to Naselle then you can decide if you want to go to Ilwaco or Astoria or Both. I like to take a side trip to puget island.

Necanicum Highway. 53 from 26 to Wheeler, I call it the sickest road in Oregon, If you get car sick avoid this road. I love the view from Wheeler northward.

WA 141 to Trout Lake, incredible views of Mt. Adams which is hard to see up close from anywhere but Trout Lake.
If you really want to see Mt Adams go to Takhlakh Lake or go to Council Lake and hike the half mile to the top of Council

North Santiam River, Opal Creek Wilderness

the list goes on.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Oh... and the covered bridges of Willamette Valley (nice fall drive)

Old 07-06-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Yeah, I was just joking about Timberline Lodge. The scenery of 82nd & Flavel is just dying to be photographed.
First, I have to get some chalk for the bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland