Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamipgh View Post
I have posted in MSP forum as well and only one person recommended against his/her own town. You touched upon a very important matter. Being an outdoorsy person, That groovy plus of Portland for me was the fact that I hiked and went to a beach in February. And no, it was not cold. 45-50 degrees with drizzle is not cold for someone who has lived in midwest and NE. It's a spring type weather to me. But is it really worth it ? Does these groovy pluses get ordinary and routine for you after a while ? I am afraid, 5 years from now, I am walking on a hiking trail or a beach I have been to a million times and thinking about all the money I lost by not going to MSP. Or who knows, might be pretty glad that avoided the frigid air while myself and my kid has more friends of his ethnic background ?
to answer your question -yes it can. i lived right on the beach in Nor Cal for about a year - i could see/hear the ocean waves crashing from my bedroom and took beautiful pictures for the first couple of months. Then i just complained about the traffic and never went to the beach. It's really up to you though- now i wish i would have taken advantage of where i was living a bit more, but to be honest, money always helps. You could certainly afford on the larger salary to take vacations to a better locality during the MN winters. But ultimately the decision is up to you - if you feel you will take advantage of the PDX area than make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 01:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
In your situation MSP would be my choice. You mentioned education for your kids as a factor - public education for K-12 is much better in MN than in OR. Plus you would be making double the salary and COLA is lower so MSP seems like a no-brainer for you. Double the salary and lower COLA can pay for some nice winter vacations to somewhere warmer to help offset the long, cold MN winters.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
In your situation MSP would be my choice. You mentioned education for your kids as a factor - public education for K-12 is much better in MN than in OR. Plus you would be making double the salary and COLA is lower so MSP seems like a no-brainer for you. Double the salary and lower COLA can pay for some nice winter vacations to somewhere warmer to help offset the long, cold MN winters.
Yes if you have kids, then go to msp. Way better schools.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:54 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
The only drawbacks to MSP compared to PDX are the cold winters and the hefty sales taxes. Plus, the murder rate is higher.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The only drawbacks to MSP compared to PDX are the cold winters and the hefty sales taxes. Plus, the murder rate is higher.
My perception is that derives entirely from the fact MSP (and more specifically, Mpls) has a few specific neighborhoods that actually qualify as 'ghetto' with the heightened gang crime and violence that derives from that.

Edina has had 1 murder in 10 years, etc. St. Paul (3.7 murders per 100,000) is even slightly below Portland (4.2)

I'd live in most of Minneapolis, even more so the Cities as a whole, without a second thought. Stranger murder is still a rarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: