Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:53 PM

125 posts, read 153,382 times

Advertisements

Well, if this apparent tag-team of senior or distinguished member’s don’t like this subject - there are plenty more I’ve shared a lot of personal links to the PNW, as a multi-generational Portlander, with kids. Right now - I’d love to be looking across Tillamook Bay ...from any of several homes I’d considered buying. Now, I’m a long way from ..home

As mentioned, if ignored - what I have to say is for those, like myself, who were attracted to this subject thread, not to sooth, deny or ignore, but to bring the most current information to light. Yes, it’s ‘out there,’ but you still have to dig... And, to the OP who had the courage to ask. Though prodded by those who’d prefer to ignore this (but for some reason can’t), I haven’t. But again, thank City-Data for providing a platform, not only for those seeking accolades, attention, bonus points or a purpose in life - but also for those using it for what I hope it was intended.

Anyone recognize this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
How worried are Portlanders about a potential BIG quake coming soon?

I know Seattle is at high risk. But is the risk in Portland as high, or not quite as high as in Seattle?

Any idea on the best place to be in Portland during a quake? Are those houses on the mountainside in the NW area safer than in the flat areas? Firmer ground? Or are those mountainside houses in danger of slipping off their foundations and rolling down?
I’ve fears, or at least concerns about where I’m at ‘back east.’ But honestly ..fear sharing them in what, to me, has become an increasingly hostile environment… That’s not right. So - beyond a putdown-pissing match - I encourage anyone reading ‘this’ to review my posts; they’re from the heart and research of a Native Oregonian, who will likely always have family and friends there … and occasionally visit ~

Old 12-19-2016, 03:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Again, what is your goal here? Most people seem pretty informed about the possibility of earthquake. Continuing to yell at them for not pulling up stakes and running scared isn't accomplishing anything.

ETA 5th generation native Oregonian here, if you want to go that route. Not sure why you keep bringing that up.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-19-2016 at 04:05 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 10:59 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I guess some people have to obsess over something.

I have a sister that won't live on a hill because it might get snowy or icy, and won't live on the coast because maybe a tsunami could happen, and won't live in the Cascades because one of the mountains might erupt, and won't live in Portland because she might get mugged or get in a car crash...

Old 02-08-2017, 10:06 PM

65 posts, read 68,831 times
Those of you who are choosing to stay here: do you have earthquake coverage on your home or renter's insurance?

That's going to be the biggest hit to this state. I'm guessing well under 1/4 of the people with ultra vulnerable (pre-mid-70s) houses have such coverage. Can't imagine having so much money in something, and then having it completely destroyed. It's almost as life-ending as having a 50 year prison sentence.

If I ever have the money to buy a house, I'll be sure as hell making sure it's built after 93, so I don't end up with a pile of scrap wood and $300k or whatever in debt on something that'd then be entirely worthless.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
to die in portland would be the worst thing ever. ive lived here my whole life and hate it here

Old 02-09-2017, 03:25 PM

356 posts, read 409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
to die in portland would be the worst thing ever. ive lived here my whole life and hate it here
Then you won't be offended if we ask you to die somewhere else.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:35 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
Then you won't be offended if we ask you to die somewhere else.
if the earthquake traveled all the way to central oregon and i died id be offended

Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 PM

..wonder what those quake policies look like? If you can simply take the cash (are still alive) and move on, OK. If they’re linked to ‘rebuilding,’ no way ~

And no ‘obsession’ going on here - once my kiddo's are gone - it’s all yours But I tell ya, driving mountain roads sitting on solid rock give me all the comfort I need! ...and every time I think of home, anymore, I think of some of you! ..and would love to see the looks on your faces when all hell breaks loose… Sorry, but the messenger’s gotta have some fun

Old 02-10-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
Then split But it’s not that easy ..took me a year and a half: prepare home & land for sale, store unnecessary belongings, find a realtor (if you rent, much easier, but no equity), say your goodbyes.. Rent the largest truck you can, load it ..and head up the Gorge, perhaps for the last time. Serious s..tuff

Most won’t do that on EQ speculation, but from what I watched of this winter, from afar.. Never again. And if you only go to the east side, you’d be far safer ..till the Portland zombies make their way over the Cascades looking for provisions

And Detractors - there was a really tight cluster of Q’s at the northern edge a month ago, very unusual, two days worth, maybe 8 in all, and pretty good size - but I didn’t say a thing! Recently, nothing … which is so weird to see, as (yet again) the rest of the ‘ring of fire’ continues to shake, rattle & roll ~

Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
I think the risks of a major coastal subjunction quake would be similar in Seattle and Portland, depending on where the epicenter is. I believe most scientists dismiss major tsunami damage in Seattle, and even less in Portland. However, mudslides and general shaking would be more of an issue, potentially creating much damage. Modern high-rises would likely survive, but highway infrastructure would be an issue. The lastest forecasts, which are certainly not exact, call for a huge subjunction quake every 300-500 years. The last was in 1700.

I believe the Oregon Coast is much more in danger than the Willamette Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland