Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 PM

412 posts, read 386,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
if the earthquake traveled all the way to central oregon and i died id be offended
As well you should be.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,630,236 times
Quote:
..and would love to see the looks on your faces when all hell breaks loose… Sorry, but the messenger’s gotta have some fun
Schadenfreude.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:25 AM

846 posts, read 611,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorupaa View Post
to die in portland would be the worst thing ever. ive lived here my whole life and hate it here
Yikes! I hope you consider that this is a big country with a vast array of climate, political, and economical opportunities. Be bold.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:00 PM

978 posts, read 1,090,281 times
the reason i want to move to central oregon is my dad has property there. i dont have any money to build a house. ill find a away to move out of the rainy city.

its nice today though.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:20 AM

125 posts, read 153,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think the risks of a major coastal subjunction quake would be similar in Seattle and Portland, depending on where the epicenter is.
The weird thing is, with these subduction zone quakes, the ‘epicenter’ is only the starting point, as the entire Juan de Fuca Plate ‘subducts’ under you. It more so unzips along the length of the offshore edge. Medford will likely experience the same level of damage as Portland, Seattle, or BC Canada…

Quote:
The lastest forecasts, which are certainly not exact, call for a huge subjunction quake every 300-500 years. The last was in 1700.
I’d been acting (living and ignoring) on the same 3 to 5 hundred year time span, too. Until newer core borings led to the ‘southern half’ (of the plate) breaking twice as often and the ‘entire length.’ Then I found the following (within the articles previously linked): “The latest studies of undersea landslide debris, released last spring by Oregon State University geologist Chris Goldfinger, suggest a Cascadia subduction zone quake happens every 300 to 350 years.” Willamette Week

A detractor had previously used Chris Goldfinger as an example of a ‘smart guy who must not be that scared because he still lives in Oregon’ (paraphrased). So, smart enough to have revised the timeline..?

Quote:
I believe the Oregon Coast is much more in danger than the Willamette Valley.
It’s said the coast (of three states and a province) will be shook only slightly harder than the inland valley’s, something like a 9.2 vs an 8.6 ‘inland.’ But it’s not as much the intensity as the duration… But the coast will experience the quake-generated wave damage, unlike the valleys.

New guy (great name)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTomJones View Post
Those of you who are choosing to stay here: do you have earthquake coverage on your home or renter's insurance? ….. If I ever have the money to buy a house, I'll be sure as hell making sure it's built after 93, so I don't end up with a pile of scrap wood and $300k or whatever in debt on something that'd then be entirely worthless.
Some areas will surely ride it out better than others ..depending on their underlying strata, but after the duration of the quake to come, little will be habitable. With ground heaving to the extent predicted, foundations will buckle ..as liquefaction allows them to sink, as is predicted for both PDX and SeaTac…

And if ‘your house’ survived, I’d envision a situation like New Orleans or innercity Detroit ..with only outpost houses remaining amid a devastated city… Excluding major aftershocks, predicted to go on for years, I suspect area homes to sell (if at all) for a penny on the dollar of their current value ~

Old 02-12-2017, 06:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,910,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
The weird thing is, with these subduction zone quakes, the ‘epicenter’ is only the starting point, as the entire Juan de Fuca Plate ‘subducts’ under you. It more so unzips along the length of the offshore edge. Medford will likely experience the same level of damage as Portland, Seattle, or BC Canada…

I’d been acting (living and ignoring) on the same 3 to 5 hundred year time span, too. Until newer core borings led to the ‘southern half’ (of the plate) breaking twice as often and the ‘entire length.’ Then I found the following (within the articles previously linked): “The latest studies of undersea landslide debris, released last spring by Oregon State University geologist Chris Goldfinger, suggest a Cascadia subduction zone quake happens every 300 to 350 years.” Willamette Week

A detractor had previously used Chris Goldfinger as an example of a ‘smart guy who must not be that scared because he still lives in Oregon’ (paraphrased). So, smart enough to have revised the timeline..?

It’s said the coast (of three states and a province) will be shook only slightly harder than the inland valley’s, something like a 9.2 vs an 8.6 ‘inland.’ But it’s not as much the intensity as the duration… But the coast will experience the quake-generated wave damage, unlike the valleys.

New guy (great name)

Some areas will surely ride it out better than others ..depending on their underlying strata, but after the duration of the quake to come, little will be habitable. With ground heaving to the extent predicted, foundations will buckle ..as liquefaction allows them to sink, as is predicted for both PDX and SeaTac…

And if ‘your house’ survived, I’d envision a situation like New Orleans or innercity Detroit ..with only outpost houses remaining amid a devastated city… Excluding major aftershocks, predicted to go on for years, I suspect area homes to sell (if at all) for a penny on the dollar of their current value ~
I mostly agree with you, my comment about the coast was strictly based on tsunami waves, not shaking.
And the fact that the Oregon Coast is more populated than the Washington Coast.

Nobody knows for sure, but I don't think "a devastated city" would apply for Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver. My comparison would be how Tokyo faired in 2011 with a similar quake. Tokyo is a bit further away from the severest Japan coverage, about 140 miles. However, there was minor damage in Tokyo from that 9.1 quake. Tokyo is closer to the ocean than both Seattle and Portland, and if that 2011 quake had occurred further south it could indeed have been a Tokyo disaster.

As far as liquefaction is concerned, I can't speak for Portland, but Seattle has only one real area of concern in this regard....Harbor Island and SoDo where the major stadiums sit. That is scary.

Highway infrastructure is another major concern. While some it has been retrofitted, so much has not.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-12-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,464,443 times
dAMNN. I'm getting scared.

Where should I go where i will be safe from everything within normal preparations and expectations?

Please, I want to live a life of no worries.

Between Trump and earthquakes, I feel the end is soon approaching.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:56 PM

412 posts, read 386,965 times
Mars?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,910,977 times
Not sure if your post was meant to be serious or sarcastic, but with all your emoji's I would guess the latter.

Here is the deal. There are few places on this planet that are completely safe with "no worries".

Old 02-12-2017, 11:36 PM

125 posts, read 153,755 times
Quote:
My comparison would be how Tokyo faired in 2011 with a similar quake. Tokyo is a bit further away from the severest Japan coverage, about 140 miles. However, there was minor damage in Tokyo from that 9.1 quake. Tokyo is closer to the ocean than both Seattle and Portland, and if that 2011 quake had occurred further south it could indeed have been a Tokyo disaster.
Note the daily quake activity along Japan, actually, a good thing! Their ‘conveyer belt’s’ moving … a constant series of subduction and fault line fractures. I don’t want to post that timeline video again... but what’s not happened, as opposed to what's happening in Japan (or most anywhere around the Pacific Ring of Fire) is ...nothing..

The PNW of N. America, nothing ..except for every 300 to 350 years, then the ‘entire length of the plate breaks,’ giving you what Japan hasn’t had, duration… I’d have to look over that video again to ‘count the minutes,’ but it seems like forever. I’d read somewhere that the quakes in CA, on the San Andreas Fault, will be ‘small in comparison’ … actually had me considering a move to CA! As is, this is poised to be the most costly disaster in US history. And it makes me sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
dAMNN. I'm getting scared.

Where should I go where i will be safe from everything within normal preparations and expectations?

Please, I want to live a life of no worries.

Between Trump and earthquakes, I feel the end is soon approaching.
I get that, Mike ...all of it.. Better hope this doesn't happen with tRump in charge, he’d withhold federal aid, for sure … there’d go a massive ‘chunk of blue,’ and at times, our nation’s only hope.

So, here in Appalachia, I’m constantly asked (by those who know where it is), ‘Why did you ever leave Oregon?!’ Because I did not want to reinvest my savings or lock another generation into an area that’s poised for such disaster; not me, nor my kids, or theirs… ‘How’d ya find us,’ they’ll ask? ‘I googled - most geologically stable places in USA.’ Got ‘The Canadian Plate,’ and the entire length of the ‘Appalachian Range.’ ‘Well don’t tell em all to come here’ they’ll say! -- They won’t, I assure them

There are personal ‘answers,’ and national answers. But since our nation no longer works.. there’s not going to be any federal relocation zones, plans or concerns ... which would of course be ignored anyway… So that leaves whomever ‘I’m talking to,’ or is taking this serious. Now’s the time. I’ve given up on friends & relatives relocating … and I’m not scoring any points around here, either But, if there were a dozen people who cashed in, moved away, and became unbelievably happy they did.. Maybe that’s it.

I envision the future of the PNW as being a garden area, hydropower producing, outdoor adventures & recreation, nurseries, wineries, timber, fruit production ... though not many beach activities.. Minus large cities and associated infrastructure. ...And, I’m sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland