Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM

356 posts, read 410,013 times

Advertisements

My daughter lives in LA. During the recent rainstorms there I congratulated her on the drought receding. She said "Ick, when it rains, it smells!" In Portland, rain makes things green. In LA, it stirs up the detritus. Ever seen a Los Angeles river? Ha ha ha pffft. Concrete-lined ditch that is mostly dry. I'll take Portland.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM

256 posts, read 265,961 times
Man, some of these comments haha. So offended.

Personally I've only lived in this climate, so I don't really know what the outside world's like haha. But I have a feeling that I wouldn't really change if I left, if not maybe feel worse. I like the rain here becuase I always hate the feeling of dry air that makes me cough and have nosebleeds.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 AM

125 posts, read 291,977 times
When I first moved to so cal, I LOOOOOOVED it. That lasted about 2 years, and for the last 4 years I've basically just been tolerating it because I have good job opportunities here.

I think I'm getting tired of all of the sunshine, day after day. When we went through the rainy spell not too long ago, I found myself being glad to see the rain every day, and sad when I walked out my front door and realized the sun had come back. The mountains are a beautiful green color now, which I love, but in my 6 years here, this is the first time I've ever seen them green. Usually they're a disgusting brown color.

I'm just really over so cal. I hate how much time I waste in traffic, and driving around parking lots looking for parking, and standing in long lines. It's so over-crowded here. I hate how self involved people are here. I hate how materialistic people are here.

For me, it's just really not worth the price tag. I don't want to pay so much to live in a place that actually kinda sucks.

I honestly don't know if I could tolerate the rain in Portland, but I'm really thinking I might give it a try. I just really want out of so cal. I'm dying to leave, I just can't seem to decide on a place.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
I live in So Cal. It's awesome. 77 degrees and sunny yesterday.
so don't come here and troll the portland forum! post something in your so cal forum and leave us with our rain..

Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
Quote:
Very few people want to move from So Cal to Oregon. Those who do, do it for money reasons. Most regret it but moving out of So Cal is a one way street. Too expensive to move back. There is a reason why So Cal is expensive. It's better.
Are you friggin' kidding me? half my neighbors here in Oregon are from Southern CA.

My problem with S CA folks moving here is the ones that want to turn OR into S CA.

But please, I am not trying to convince you that OR is better! Please keep preferring S CA!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM

199 posts, read 217,613 times
How is so cal better than Oregon? They have traffic 24/7, gang crimes, air pollution, higher taxes, higher cost of living, too crowded, you wait in long lines wherever you go...etc. Just because it's warmer and sunnier doesn't make it better. As a matter of fact, the warm weather can make things worse, evidenced by the drought California endured the last few years. I'd rather have my green forests, fully flowing rivers and beautiful scenery full of life than live in some overcrowded and overpriced desert just because it's sunnier.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM

635 posts, read 746,361 times
I think many natives to Oregon and Washington adapt to the ongoing daily rain most of the year. So they don't miss the sun because they haven't lived somewhere the sun is out more often. I will say I've lived in the Northwest, Portland area for over 30 years, I moved away for about five years. I found myself in San Diego for awhile and absolutely loved it but for personal reasons had to move back to Portland just recently. I guess having some experience on both sides this is what I've noticed. I now find myself missing the sun and warmth of San Diego. By the way people who say Southern California, includes Los Angeles and San Diego don't have a clue because Los Angeles and San Diego are a world apart in many ways. So after living down there and coming back I noticed a few things, of course the rain, how dirty Portland looks from the rain and other reasons and the traffic. The traffic for such a small city is outrageous but that is mostly from poor freeway planning and the growth in the Portland area...of course the amount of left lane drivers doesn't help. I have been in more traffic jams in Portland than I was ever in San Diego, but only a couple weather related. So overall I prefer San Diego over Portland for many reasons, weather being a huge reason.

Now to the people who disagree there was very recently a study that said Oregon and Washington have the highest rates of depression in the US. By the way San Diego the life expectancy is one of the longest in the US. So there's the facts and there is a simple reason the weather relates to both of those.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,266 times
I moved to the Portland area from Souther California (Orange County). Not for money reasons but because my fiancée and I wanted to. It's not really that much cheaper anymore anyways. I prefer a cooler climate and the rain doesn't bother me nearly as much as the constant heat and sunshine (I work outside). It may seem nice living there at first but when it's 80+ degrees 9 months out of the year it gets old quick. There's no way you can compare the absolute beauty of the PNW to southern California's grey and brown backdrop. The hills will be green for a couple months until the sun scorches everything. I hope you enjoy it though, more power to you. I'm happy where I am and plan on staying here.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM

199 posts, read 217,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
I think many natives to Oregon and Washington adapt to the ongoing daily rain most of the year. So they don't miss the sun because they haven't lived somewhere the sun is out more often. I will say I've lived in the Northwest, Portland area for over 30 years, I moved away for about five years. I found myself in San Diego for awhile and absolutely loved it but for personal reasons had to move back to Portland just recently. I guess having some experience on both sides this is what I've noticed. I now find myself missing the sun and warmth of San Diego. By the way people who say Southern California, includes Los Angeles and San Diego don't have a clue because Los Angeles and San Diego are a world apart in many ways. So after living down there and coming back I noticed a few things, of course the rain, how dirty Portland looks from the rain and other reasons and the traffic. The traffic for such a small city is outrageous but that is mostly from poor freeway planning and the growth in the Portland area...of course the amount of left lane drivers doesn't help. I have been in more traffic jams in Portland than I was ever in San Diego, but only a couple weather related. So overall I prefer San Diego over Portland for many reasons, weather being a huge reason.

Now to the people who disagree there was very recently a study that said Oregon and Washington have the highest rates of depression in the US. By the way San Diego the life expectancy is one of the longest in the US. So there's the facts and there is a simple reason the weather relates to both of those.
I will agree with you on one thing: San Diego is completely different from the rest of south California. When people say South California they usually talk about LA and its surroundings. San Diego is definitely an exception. If I were to live in California, that would be probably the only place in the state I'd consider living in (that and far north side of Cali right next to the Oregon border).

Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM

497 posts, read 484,857 times
Quote:
How do you people do it? I used to live in Portland and couldn't stand it any longer. Feel so much better to have sun and warmth.
I'm not sure how I do it. I moved to Oregon 9 years ago from Utah and before that I was in Las Vegas for 13 years. While I don't want constant sun, this constant rain is beginning to wear on me. I have a friend in SoCal and I spent a week with him last year. It was so nice to spend time hanging out at the pier in Santa Barbara and enjoying the sunny weather while it was raining up here. The die hard Oregonians will always prefer it here and that's fine. Some of us that transplanted put up with the crappy winters because summers are so nice. That said I'm ready still to move elsewhere, but not California. High cost of living and an abundance of idiot politicians are enough reason to stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland