Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 12,565 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are currently in Portland looking for good neighborhoods to relocate to. We have two boys, whom we homeschool. We are looking for a town that is very family friendly, meaning they have family events that take place often. We do not want to live in the city, we would ideally prefer to live no further than 35 minutes from a big city, like Portland. I want the town to be surrounded by mountain views or lush green trees everywhere. Ideally we would love to live somewhere where we can have half an acreage or a forest as a backyard. We both work from home, so jobs do not matter to us. We are open to relocating anywhere in Oregon or Washington as long as there is a big enough community. I looked at Mountain towns but they all seem very isolated. Examples of what I find absolutely stunning are: Lungern Switzerland, Craig Alaska, or places with a gorgeous
River.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Daystuss; 05-05-2017 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Adding photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 PM

333 posts, read 328,780 times
35 minutes from Portland will not get you into any sort of alpine mountain scenery. However, I would make a few suggestions. The Northwest has great scenery, but it is a surprisingly long drive to access most of it from Portland or Seattle. The Columbia Gorge is the exception. The gorge starts only 20 minutes from central Portland and goes on for about 60 miles.

1) If you work from home, I'd look closer at Washington than Oregon. Oregon will take nearly 10% of your income in state income tax, while Washington doesn't have income tax at all.

2) I'd look around Camas, WA and Washougal, WA, both of which are about 30 minutes from Downtown Portland (at non-peak hours), have nice neighborhoods and a somewhat conservative atmosphere, and are close to the mountains and the Columbia River Gorge. The schools in that area are good as well in case you ever decide to stop homeschooling.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
WA sounds like a better choice, maybe Olympia.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Second the recommendation for Camas or Washougal. Lots of semi-rural woodsy areas around both towns that fit your criteria. Camas has the higher rated schools and is closer to Portland so prices will be higher. Your money will go farther in Washougal. Depends on what your criteria are.

Camas has a more developed downtown area with shops and restaurants and lots of events throughout the year. Washougal is more blue collar but catching up.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
If Oregon is your choice... Choose Corbett! Living in the Columbia Gorge is GREAT (rough weather, but fewer wimps). Nearby HUGE River and waterfalls are tough to beat, I have each right out my picture windows. (+ 80 mile uninterrupted view). EZ access to recreation and very close to civilization. (20 min away from SUN escapes via PDX (every week of winter if possible). Had $49 flights this yr to LAS, SFO, SNA, SMF, OAK, REN, DEN, and < $100 to PHX, SAN, ABQ, AUS. Used to have a DIRECT to SAN on Spirit @ 5:10AM for $19.90, (back home at midnight) but no more.... now must go through LAS ~$50

If you can deal with the other side of the river, there are many choices. Washougal is the hotbed of homeschoolers (since 1970s / Moore Foundation). We had 300 kids in our HS group (20 yrs ago) We hired professors for week long fieldtrips to coast and fossilbeds and Mt St Helens,.

WA has a terriffic option for your High Schoolers... NO HS REQUIRED!!!! FREE FT college instead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start
This Works for thousands / yr since 1990, including my kids, most their friends and one of my bosses

Living in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area you have to deal with the "friends (?) of the Gorge" watching you daily with spotting scopes. They will have the building officials pay you a visit the day you touch your roof, lights, color of house, Gorge Facing windows. Just the 'price-of-admission' for what they consider their own. (tho most do not live here).
https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1536&bih=827

As a homeschooler... consider living around the world. We did work assignments / living in SE Asia, Canada (Island) and Europe (Including a mtn village in Switzerland, and Spain). Kids and us still travel 50% of the time (gone overseas 100% of last yr, an election yr is a great yr to be gone from USA, tho we haven't had a TV since 1968...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-06-2017 at 11:09 PM..

Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 AM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Portland is the only big city, but you could look for property up the McKenzie River Highway which is close to Eugene.

You'd have to commute to Eugene for all of your children's activities, except maybe a soccer team.

You are looking for something contradictory: lots of space, large properties, small town, and yet you want tons of activities geared towards children. There aren't enough people in small towns with large properties to support endless programs for your children.

Either move to a mid size or larger city for your children's programs or be prepared to drive for them.

Anything that is a large property with beautiful scenery and 30 minutes from a city is going to be expensive, so bring a fat checkbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland