Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:18 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
Portlandians get a little prickly about the weather. They know it's nasty but they can't afford to leave. California is out. Too expensive. So they try to justify their locale by saying "it's worse someplace else". There is a reason why the Pacific NW leads the nation in suicides. It's super depressing.
So sorry that you couldn't cut it here, JamesB.

No need for all the bitterness though, there are plenty of people that absolutely love it here, and they cancel out your negativeness tenfold.

I think you did what is best for you by leaving the PNW.
Now you can do us all a favor and just "Let it go".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 12:07 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
Quote:
So they try to justify their locale by saying "it's worse someplace else". There is a reason why the Pacific NW leads the nation in suicides. It's super depressing.
Maybe it's not justifying. I'm sure there are plenty of Oregonians who have moved elsewhere and found out firsthand that the weather actually is worse someplace else.

And about enjoying more than one type of weather. Hey, variety is the spice of life. One type of weather all year long? How boring.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Especially in the Spring, after a nice rain, this mountain forest air here in southwest Oregon is so clean, fresh, sweet, alive..... .....the forest critters are playing & singing.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Portlandians get a little prickly about the weather. They know it's nasty but they can't afford to leave. California is out. Too expensive. So they try to justify their locale by saying "it's worse someplace else". There is a reason why the Pacific NW leads the nation in suicides. It's super depressing.
The PNW states do not lead the nation in suicides. The Rocky Mountain states do.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6345a10.htm

Old 05-13-2017, 04:49 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
Most Portlanders (europeans as well) wear the long rainy months like a badge of honor. They don't really love it. It's famliliar to them but while living in Portland or Germany I never heard anyone say "oh no, it's supposed to be sunny and 75 next week."

I've never really loved it.

It's 95 here today, but once the sun goes down we will have dinner out on the patio and watch the sun turn the mountains purple and it will be pleasant. Sure we have to put up with hot heat but just like anything else you get acclimatized to it, just like rain, just like snow. Next week Portland is rainy and showers ~60 degrees. Next week Tucson is mid 80s and sunny. I'll personally take mid 80s and sunny.

Southwesterners say: "Its a dry heat"
Southeasterners say: "It's not that humid"
Northeasterns say: "Hey buddy! New Youk (jersey) (boston) is the greatest crap hole on the planet go eff ya self if ya don't like it!"
Midwesterners say: "We have four seasons!"

Everyone has their battle hardened response to foreigners who don't like some aspect of their homeland's weather. And in the US we do have significantly different homelands or residences.

One thing people tend to forget that if the US was overlayed on Europe with Seattle being London, Florida would be near Tehran and New York would be in Kazakhstan. Coincidence?

Last edited by AndyAMG; 05-13-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 AM

119 posts, read 156,130 times
Tucson is just as miserable as Portland but in the opposite way. Nothing like coastal So Cal. It's near perfect all the time.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:36 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Most Portlanders (europeans as well) wear the long rainy months like a badge of honor. They don't really love it. It's famliliar to them but while living in Portland or Germany I never heard anyone say "oh no, it's supposed to be sunny and 75 next week."

I've never really loved it.

It's 95 here today, but once the sun goes down we will have dinner out on the patio and watch the sun turn the mountains purple and it will be pleasant. Sure we have to put up with hot heat but just like anything else you get acclimatized to it, just like rain, just like snow. Next week Portland is rainy and showers ~60 degrees. Next week Tucson is mid 80s and sunny. I'll personally take mid 80s and sunny.

Southwesterners say: "Its a dry heat"
Southeasterners say: "It's not that humid"
Northeasterns say: "Hey buddy! New Youk (jersey) (boston) is the greatest crap hole on the planet go eff ya self if ya don't like it!"
Midwesterners say: "We have four seasons!"

Everyone has their battle hardened response to foreigners who don't like some aspect of their homeland's weather. And in the US we do have significantly different homelands or residences.

One thing people tend to forget that if the US was overlayed on Europe with Seattle being London, Florida would be near Tehran and New York would be in Kazakhstan. Coincidence?

This whole post is ridiculous. Folks in all areas gripe about the weather. In response to others who criticize, most don't proclaim that their states are the end all, be all...They simply say, "If you don't like it, leave!"

And by the way, this is what I hear from different regions:

Southwesterners: "How can I get my air conditioning bill down?!" and "I think our rock lawn looks beautiful, don't you?. Grass is so over-rated."

Southeasterners: "It is a bit sticky, dear...Bless your heart, perhaps another sweet tea?"

Northeasterners: "That's it. I can't take another winter. I'm moving to Florida!"

Midwesterners: "We have tornado cellars. We do the best we can. If it's our time to go, it's our time to go."

Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,692 times
Cream corn

Old 05-15-2017, 09:38 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandysweets View Post
Cream corn
Miracle Whip.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:27 PM

36 posts, read 37,671 times
Oregon ranks 9th in the national suicide rate.
Yes, it's more complicated than the weather.OF COURSE it is.
But why do some of you just, well, lie about the weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland