Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times

Advertisements

And the Oregonian published this video of the teens being questioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWyOZLoJLVQ

Here's additional info on what could happen with the teens. It says the same thing I read and said on here. That's three sources now.

Fate Of Teen Suspected In Eagle Creek Fire Depends On Charges, Investigation . News | OPB

What Could Happen to the 15yr Old That Started Eagle Creek Fire

The article I read and refer to was either Oregonlive, Willamette Week or Portland Mercury in the past couple weeks and they posted it on Facebook and I posted shortly after reading it so it was fresh in my mind but it's been awhile now. Its title started with something like: "So here's what could happen with the teens in the Eagle Creek Fire..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 PM

199 posts, read 217,613 times
Oregon has a history of fining people $1-3 million but never actually getting the money unless the person has insurance coverage that is willing to pay for the damages.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:15 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
Oregon has a history of fining people $1-3 million but never actually getting the money unless the person has insurance coverage that is willing to pay for the damages.
By a generous estimate, Oregon only has maybe 100,000 out of 4 million people that could pay out that kind of money.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
Right. That's always the problem with big cash settlements. Same for bad car crashes and ensuing injuries or death. Individuals rarely collect the millions from other individuals who cause the car crashes. Huge fines for starting catastrophic fires will likely never be collected.

I guess in the case of car accidents, if the person who caused the crash has insurance, the insurance company will pay out to the limits of the policy, but usually not into the millions for terrible crashes and injuries, unless they carried some kind of catastrophic coverage.

At any rate, significant jail time for any perps who started the fires would be a start.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Because they are teenagers I think that requiring them to perform public service 8 hours a day for every weekend for the next x years in lieu of jail time would be an effective punishment. Then the justice system needs to look at parental liability. Who purchased the fireworks for those kids? Did they know they had them? Based on my reading of the press reports the fireworks they used are illegal in Oregon. Run down the enablers and sue them for the cost of fire suppression.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:11 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Default Update From Hood River County River District Attorney's Office

On behalf of the Hood River County River District Attorney's Office:

"When the Eagle Creek fire erupted a criminal investigation was immediately begun by the Oregon State Police. US Forest Service investigators have been assisting the State Police in this ongoing investigation. As a result of the investigation legal proceedings have been commenced in the Hood River County Circuit Court. A fifteen year old boy recently appeared and was arraigned on a Juvenile Court Petition.

Allegations in the Petition include acts of Reckless Burning, Depositing Burning Materials on Forest Lands, Unlawful Possession of Fireworks, Criminal Mischief and Recklessly Endangering Other Persons. The charging petition was filed by the Hood River County Juvenile Department at the direction of the Hood River County District Attorney John Sewell. The Hood River County District Attorney's office has been acting in cooperation with the Multnomah County District Attorney's office. Although extensive damage caused by the wildfire occurred in both Hood River and Multnomah Counties, Oregon's juvenile code dictates that legal proceedings be commenced in the county where the illegal act originally occurred, which is Hood River County.

The District Attorney's office, the Oregon State Police and the Hood River County Juvenile Department will have no further comment until the case has been resolved."

Old 10-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Is the fire still burning or nearly out? I've been out there several times now and always pick up the smell of smoke passing Cascade Locks but the news cycle died down so they're not covering it as much with everything else happening recently. I've seen the trees they logged and patches of forest fire damage but from the highway it's not too bad of a view. Still beautiful and healing area. Though I know they lost a lot that will never return to the way it was as it's altered forever and will take decades to grow back into a new patch of forest.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:09 AM

Ah Snap! They posted the update on the fire after I asked. Nice!

Columbia gorge fire: What you need to know as prosecutors announce charges | OregonLive.com

Old 10-20-2017, 02:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
This was forwarded to me. It is a NFS produced commentary.

I consider it a tad trite for the risk during and after the fire (human / property / ecosystem / recovery). but... I live there... and see it everyday (which is far different than it was 2 months ago, and will take 10 yrs to stabilize, then generations to recover.)

For some of you, it might help sooth the loss.

https://www.outsideonline.com/225002...0River%20Gorge

Yes.. there is the continual argument that is was 'bound to happen by nature vs human' but... we don't know that, and cannot predict the result of such things.

Sure it is a mixed blessing (forests need to be purged).

Fire is one way to do it,

I feel "Nature" would have done it differently (we will not know until the next 'Nature' event !)

Lots of arguments / What If's... living with the "Friends (?) of the Gorge" can be just as dangerous and disruptive... comments / examples restrained... has NOT been pretty for my last 24 yrs doing so... well meaning (I presume) but... so have been very many destructive forces. (usually those who don't live there... / countries / governments / special interests / folks with an agenda (for the control of others)... mixed blessing / burden.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 PM

That is quite beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland