Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 01:05 PM

731 posts, read 680,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oregon's own little gulag system.

I suppose it only makes sense that progressives would finally move that far left. History usually repeats itself.
Not a gulag, something like the CCC. I'm no progressive, by the way.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 PM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Not a gulag, something like the CCC. I'm no progressive, by the way.
My father worked for the WPA for a while when he was in his late teens. During WWII, some continuous objectors were sent to work camps. If your job didn't contribute to the war effort--farming, mining, steel--off to camp you went. I don't see why it should be any different today.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,950,010 times
So its that time of the thread where Leisesturm steps in to observe that the Fortune 500 is about to get another Tax Amnesty that will allow them to bring in $2Trillion dollars that has been parked offshore for the last 15 or 20 years. I'm just saying... $2T. If that can't sort the homeless out (the opiod painkiller and methamphetamine abusers as well) then lets just nuke the planet and start over from single cell lifeforms again. We may get a better result next time.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 AM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So its that time of the thread where Leisesturm steps in to observe that the Fortune 500 is about to get another Tax Amnesty that will allow them to bring in $2Trillion dollars that has been parked offshore for the last 15 or 20 years. I'm just saying... $2T. If that can't sort the homeless out (the opiod painkiller and methamphetamine abusers as well) then lets just nuke the planet and start over from single cell lifeforms again. We may get a better result next time.
We're on the eve of destruction.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 AM

978 posts, read 1,090,545 times
Yesterday someone had a good idea on YouTube. He said if if everyone stayed home and didn’t buy anything for one day everything in money would fail (I can’t remember the exact words).

Or we can live in a world where everyone only cares about money. Most people are smart but there’s so many people that say screw those people dying of starvation, I want to be famous. Things usually happen in a bad way though, the future probably won’t be good

Old 12-10-2017, 07:07 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,466,505 times
We should have all taken George Carlin seriously.

He tried to warn us all, but we just thought it was radical humor.

Turns out, he was right more often than not.

Youtube some of his later stuff.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:15 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,869,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Fortunately you don't call the shots. It actually would not solve any problems.
As stated earlier, gov't cannot and does not solve problems, gov't exists to grow itself - PERIOD.

Taking $ from companies that create wealth and give it corrupt bureaucracies, will not and cannot do anything positive. We just got through 8 yrs of hell with Obamy. He grew and politicized gov't, clamped down on business to "correct wrongs" and generally weakened the system that creates the value we all need to survive and thrive. NOTHING, repeat NOTHING came from all of it. 8 yrs of low growth, a lost generation of people without work ethic and a weak country that will take several years to undo. Terrible terrible waste.

Go ahead and bring on same old crappola about the "rich not paying their fair share" - we have heard it before and will hear it again. It's a cute talking point for some.

Even if your gov't outright gave people homes, food, drugs and alcohol - do you think you are solving anything? You would be creating a weak people, easily swayed by charlatans and handouts. Oh wait - that's what progressive Democrats want to do every day.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:58 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,501,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Fortunately you don't call the shots. It actually would not solve any problems.
As stated earlier, gov't cannot and does not solve problems, gov't exists to grow itself - PERIOD.

Taking $ from companies that create wealth and give it corrupt bureaucracies, will not and cannot do anything positive. We just got through 8 yrs of hell with Obamy. He grew and politicized gov't, clamped down on business to "correct wrongs" and generally weakened the system that creates the value we all need to survive and thrive. NOTHING, repeat NOTHING came from all of it. 8 yrs of low growth, a lost generation of people without work ethic and a weak country that will take several years to undo. Terrible terrible waste.

Go ahead and bring on same old crappola about the "rich not paying their fair share" - we have heard it before and will hear it again. It's a cute talking point for some.

Even if your gov't outright gave people homes, food, drugs and alcohol - do you think you are solving anything? You would be creating a weak people, easily swayed by charlatans and handouts. Oh wait - that's what progressive Democrats want to do every day.
There's no hope. None at all with views like this. I genuinely despair.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,466,505 times
Unfortunately Ccjarider, we don't have a government that works for the people.

We have created a modern bureaucratic "ruling class" with their own agendas, that keeps us all in our places.

Coldly look at the engineered societal structure of our great capitalistic nation and what we have, all bleeding heart social blathering ignored.

The rich in their untouchable ivory towers running the country, the middle class that slaves away their lives and pays all the bills for this country (and are given the illusion of "freedom"), and the "poors" that exist to scare the hell out of the middle class, keeping them in line dutifully paying their taxes under the threat of chaos, ensuring that the government coffers stay full.

Portland is a perfect example of this.

I also strongly believe that we have created a weaker country in the last eight years.
We are turning into a nation of "betas", when we should be "alphas".

We should all genuinely despair.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-10-2017 at 10:37 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,869,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
There's no hope. None at all with views like this. I genuinely despair.
Nonsense - there is GREAT Hope.

Many people have now had their eyes opened to the charlatanism of big government as a solution.

Future is bright!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland