Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why can't you accept that some people don't like the Portland weather? Why must you impose your will on others? Why is it that all of us saying that the weather is worse than what was claimed makes us your target to oppress our feelings and opinions?

For what it's worth, don't worry, your actions in this thread are consistent with the culture of Portland I encountered.
That about sums it up. I showed this to a native Portland friend of mine and she also agreed. She is open minded and doesn't mind her town being criticized because she knows this is the place she wants to live but accepts the fact that 1. there have been many changes over the years 2. not everyone will like it here and 3. it's okay to find fault.

Subjects like the weather can be looked up at websites that give the scientific stats. That's fact. Everything else is opinion which is in some cases being presented as fact.

The attitude that every negative opinion has to be argued with does seem to be typical of these threads. There is a difference between giving a different opinion and insisting that the other person's opinion is wrong because it differs from yours. I think if I were an outsider looking to move here, reading the comments by people who constantly have to argue other people's opinions would be enough to keep me away. I prefer a more tolerant society.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 PM

61 posts, read 491,507 times
Hi,
I'm a native Oregonian and I too can't stand the weather. I've always wanted to move. Unfortunately, for most of this time, I haven't had the finances to do it. I've recently gone back to College and have made the decision to move after I graduate in two years. I'm trying to plan a way to save up enough to do it or maybe I'll transfer while still in College. I don't know yet. The weather can really get on your nerves. From about Nov. to almost June all I want to do is nap, because of the gray. I'm also not one to go hiking, camping, and to the coast in the rain. I just don't like to do those things in the cold and wet, so I do those things in summer. Frankly its not enough for me. I can hear what your saying and relate to it.

I think Oregon is great and beautiful, but I can't take the gray. I'm going to try some sunnier places on for size. If I don't like it I can always come back home. Life is an adventure anyhow. I think some people moving here should know that they may not like the weather it is a reality. There are probably quite a few of us native Oregonians that don't like it, but stay for family or financial reasons.

Edit ophaned portion from off topic Everyone needs to find a place where they fit the best and for some it will be Portland or other locations in Oregon and for others it won't be a fit. Take Care.

Last edited by deegers; 04-15-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM

108 posts, read 470,309 times
nillawafer, congrats on going back to school. And thanks for adding an honest opinion to the discussion.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,562,021 times
Ok, members note the reminder below:
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

There were times we did get off topic and I allowed some posts in the beginning, but it was getting out of hand and the agruments grew. Even though the OP is about gloom, we don't need to go into too much detail on the health aspects of this and your theories. If you want to continue this further, please start a new thread on this.

I am keeping this thread closed.

Last edited by deegers; 04-15-2008 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland