Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 11:17 PM

46 posts, read 81,856 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to add that I had another incident coming home from work a week back from last Thursday. A group of wannabe gang banger thugs got on at NE 82nd and a young girl immediately came to the upper platform area where I was sitting and started threatening two other teenagers sitting together. It got so bad for them, the young man of the couple at some point called the police. He told her when the train pulled up at E. 102nd: "The police are coming". They finally fled like the cowards they were. The couple then left, while we all had to sit there waiting for transit police for what felt like half an hour.

Extreme stress and time wasted when you just want to get home in one piece after working all day.

I get the tangent conversations went in, but one of you saying people on the train looked normal to you up until a few months ago makes me scratch my head. Which line do you ride?

Jeremy Christian was just found guilty on all counts for murder, assault and menacing. My brother made the remark that Tri-Met should have been on trial with him. And I say, the City of Portland too. They don't care about our safety and they have proven that conclusively.

So on it all goes. Every weekday I hold my breath, hoping for the best until someone does something to change all of this around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 05:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
As for MAX tips, I scan the train as it approaches for the safest car to ride in, based on my perception of its population. I put on an unapproachable air, get in and head for a seat. During the trip, I look out the window or tap my phone - no eye contact with anybody, but very aware of my surroundings.
I hope you avoid trains with filled with lawyers, doctors and accountants.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:36 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I was also born in 1956 and moved here in 1994. My office is just south of downtown and I go all over the downtown area regularly. I've seen exactly one used syringe on the sidewalk and zero piles of feces. I do see homeless people and their tents but have never been harassed or seen anyone who seemed dangerously unstable. It's rare to even be asked for spare change. I was riding MAX regularly until a few months ago and it was safe and clean and full of completely normal-looking people.

Before Portland I lived near New York, Boston and Los Angeles. People don't know how good they have it here.
Thanks for your sane and sensible post. I go to Portland, Seattle and even (gasp) Tacoma, and no I haven't seen "piles of excrement" and used needles lying in bulldozer challenged piles, nor have I felt like the Omega man character flying along the city streets in a frantic attempt to get home before the sun sets--When the mutants take over the city.

I live in the burbs where I'm far more likely to be ran off the road by the legions of jacked up 4 wheel maniacs, rear ended by the rude crude tailgaters who seem to be in great abundance, accosted in line at the supermarket, not by some homeless guy, but another suburbanite Troglodyte in Pajama garb, fully immersed in the culture of entitlement. Neighbors, certainly not homeless, but living as such, garbage piled up, dogs barking, kids running amok, all that annoyance and not one homeless person in sight.

I see that we may have a problem with media think-- Vocally spewing the "news" long after it is relevant, having a pocketful of media "talking points" at the ready, but secretly hating the city no matter what may go on there. It's the small mind syndrome in action, or just being what I call a "wowser" a guy who over exclaims everything by prefacing his verbal outburst with a hearty "WOW I can't believe this.."

I love the old Sellwood Moreland area, the Saturday Market, the many art and museum sites that dot the entire city, Twenty third ave, Nob Hill in general, and the wonderful people I've met in Portland. Yes it's a dangerous world out there, always was, and most likely we will need to be aware of that. But never will I denounce the city and it's people for the fact of a few miscreants among us..

Old 11-27-2020, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 30,191 times
And look at Portland now.....

Old 12-04-2020, 08:50 PM

42 posts, read 80,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaJa View Post
Hi, I've been unable to find a support group for this issue which has me very much on edge.

I've ridden TriMet transportation for a long time off and on having lived in Portland, now on my third go round.

I finally was employed 7 1/2 months ago after nearly 17 months of unemployment and am back riding the Max to and from downtown. It has changed. No police presence on the train, no fare checking. I've had to get on the train intercom three times, and a few days ago I was threatened on the Gateway transit center platform.

If there is anyone who feels the same as I do, not safe, not having the money for a decent self-defense class, please let me know. Maybe we can share information, resources, tips on this subject.

Many thanks.
Maybe buy some mace or something. Growing up and living in a few large cities most people will not just come out and attack you straight off. They are usually trying to feel you out to see if you are vulnerable at all. Just don’t make any eye contact with any troublemaker and if you are confronted stand your ground. A little bit of street smarts and crazy can go a long way.

When I lived in Boston and took the bus or subway nobody made ANY eye contact with anyone. It was quite strange but it works. And Portland has always had a sketchy transit system. I saw a female bus driver pummeled back in the early 90’s and around the same time I witnessed numerous attacks on buses and once had a female bus driver have some kind of breakdown and ran off the bus screaming at the Coliseum MAX station and hid in the bathroom there or whatever it was. We had to wait for another driver.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:17 PM

181 posts, read 166,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I hope you avoid trains with filled with lawyers, doctors and accountants.
Contrary to widespread belief, I find lawyers, doctors and accountants a good crowd to rub elbows with.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
Contrary to widespread belief, I find lawyers, doctors and accountants a good crowd to rub elbows with.
Not too much physical violence?

Old 12-16-2021, 01:57 AM

Nah, negligible. A civil bunch, believe it or not

Old 12-16-2021, 08:39 AM

Back to the topic of this discussion - MAX and Ti-Met safety. When the pandemic hit, I all but stopped riding. I wonder how things are today, from those who still, or again, ride regularly. Especially the OP, whose last post was pre-pandemic (I hope you're doing well!)

Old 12-19-2021, 09:26 AM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
Fare checking is hit or miss. I have rode MAX countless times and I am sure I only had my ticket checked a few times. My husband rode the MAX for years to downtown and he rarely ever got checked. They get what they deserve using an honor system. Personally I have never not bought a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland