Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 06:46 PM

46 posts, read 81,816 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been unable to find a support group for this issue which has me very much on edge.

I've ridden TriMet transportation for a long time off and on having lived in Portland, now on my third go round.

I finally was employed 7 1/2 months ago after nearly 17 months of unemployment and am back riding the Max to and from downtown. It has changed. No police presence on the train, no fare checking. I've had to get on the train intercom three times, and a few days ago I was threatened on the Gateway transit center platform.

If there is anyone who feels the same as I do, not safe, not having the money for a decent self-defense class, please let me know. Maybe we can share information, resources, tips on this subject.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 09:18 PM

181 posts, read 166,221 times
I am with you. I am not a regular rider, but even with my limited Tri-Met experience I've run into some uncomfortable situations.

Our teenage daughter recently got her first job; she does not feel safe to use Tri-Met buses after dark. We pick her up/drop her off as needed for later commutes.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:45 PM

181 posts, read 166,221 times
As for MAX tips, I scan the train as it approaches for the safest car to ride in, based on my perception of its population. I put on an unapproachable air, get in and head for a seat. During the trip, I look out the window or tap my phone - no eye contact with anybody, but very aware of my surroundings.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:54 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I have encountered fare checkers on the MAX.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
As for MAX tips, I scan the train as it approaches for the safest car to ride in, based on my perception of its population. I put on an unapproachable air, get in and head for a seat. During the trip, I look out the window or tap my phone - no eye contact with anybody, but very aware of my surroundings.

Hi, thank you for your responses. Very appreciated. I also try to do the same.

I've had to get on the intercom three times since I started riding again; once, the police had to come.

Before I was unemployed and living near Beaverton, I had to come to the aid of a woman bus driver and tell a man to get out of her face as he threatened her to turn the bus around (she missed his stop or he didn't ring the bell, I can't remember). He was gesticulating with his hands and nearly hit her in the face.

Last week I was threatened while standing on the Gateway T.C. platform because I asked a couple standing right in front of the doors as I tried to leave the train, to move. Immediately, the woman got aggressive and started in.

Frankly, I'm more afraid of what I might do because these people are not worth going to jail for.

I found a place called One with Heart that offers a Self Defense workshop for women every couple of months. The next one is in March I believe. $99 for four hours. I may do that one. Maybe it would empower your daughter? Just a suggestion.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Elderly friend was robbed and beaten at gateway MAX.

When the bad eggs take control, the fare paying public loses and eventually only bad eggs can ride.

Many businesses have recently had to leave Portland under similar conditions. 5 lifelong Portland resident friends moved their families to Vancouver this year (out of personal safety concerns.)

Old 02-03-2020, 10:01 AM

248 posts, read 451,663 times
See if Warrior Sisters has a group or classes in your area. They do in Eugene and I think in Portland. One of the weekly meetings in Eugene is free. They helped my daughter immensely in learning self-defense, threat assessment, and support. https://warrior-sisters.org/

Looks like they just had a free training. I would FB message or call them. https://www.facebook.com/events/857252508048015/

Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Elderly friend was robbed and beaten at gateway MAX.

When the bad eggs take control, the fare paying public loses and eventually only bad eggs can ride.

Many businesses have recently had to leave Portland under similar conditions. 5 lifelong Portland resident friends moved their families to Vancouver this year (out of personal safety concerns.)
It seems the decline of Portland continues.

Perhaps Portland needs groups like this:
https://www.messynessychic.com/2019/...ardian-angels/

Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
See if Warrior Sisters has a group or classes in your area. They do in Eugene and I think in Portland. One of the weekly meetings in Eugene is free. They helped my daughter immensely in learning self-defense, threat assessment, and support. https://warrior-sisters.org/

Looks like they just had a free training. I would FB message or call them. https://www.facebook.com/events/857252508048015/

Thank you!

Old 02-05-2020, 01:51 PM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
I don't like to ride MAX but I do. Long ago I used to read books to break the boredom but not anymore. I watch people around me like a hawk. A couple of years ago, in the middle of a hot summer day, a guy entered wearing a long black leather coat with gloves and a hat I watched his hand and was ready to hop off the next stop if it looked like he was going to reach inside for a weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland