Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 05:29 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times

Advertisements

its worse a dump

Old 07-26-2020, 12:01 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I wish I owned property in Oregon. Would love to stick you with it!
But I would sell it to you for full market value, not some artificial "50%" number that you would love to pay.
If the city is worthless then property there wouldn't be worth anything. Like Youngstown, you could buy a house for 50k. Portland median home price has risen from 337k to 465k in 5 years.

Sounds like no one wants to live there.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:27 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Not sure what point you're trying to make here. If you think Portland's a great investment, go for it.

I would never want to live there, and undoubtedly it's an expensive place to own property. Used to be a beautiful city, ruined by a very liberal populace that has infested the place.

Now it's just good for entertainment value, and a cautionary tale for other cities around the country.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:31 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If the city is worthless then property there wouldn't be worth anything. Like Youngstown, you could buy a house for 50k. Portland median home price has risen from 337k to 465k in 5 years.

Sounds like no one wants to live there.
The past is not necessarily an indication of the future.

The only real tangible thing Portland has going for it is proximity to CA.

As f'd up as OR and Portland are, there are still millions of people from CA who will see it as a better alternative to where they are now. To some extent same can be said about NY. People are bailing out of that state in droves.

This reality may help keep some demand on housing - but most likely in suburban areas, not Portland proper.

As to desirability of Portland to people from most other places - no way.

If economy here (which is never super strong thx- to insidious income tax rate) - comes down; there will be reduction in demand and corresponding price decline.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

As f'd up as OR and Portland are, there are still millions of people from CA who will see it as a better alternative to where they are now. To some extent same can be said about NY. People are bailing out of that state in droves.

This reality may help keep some demand on housing - but most likely in suburban areas, not Portland proper.

If economy here (which is never super strong thx- to insidious income tax rate) - comes down; there will be reduction in demand and corresponding price decline.
Seems like Californians are trying to remake Portland into a mini-SF. They're succeeding when it comes to homelessness and drug addiction and unaffordable housing and driving businesses away.

Don't people ever learn from their mistakes?

Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
As f'd up as OR and Portland are, there are still millions of people from CA who will see it as a better alternative to where they are now.

I'm in California, and considered moving to Seattle or Portland. I've now scratched them off my list.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:30 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:

The city proper has grown 14% in the 2010s, 50% since 1990. Yeah it's really failing. A real Youngstown.

If taxes were what made a state, Alaska would be the most dynamic state in the U.S., since it has the lowest taxes in the country, followed by Delaware and Montana.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:52 PM

628 posts, read 209,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I'm in California, and considered moving to Seattle or Portland. I've now scratched them off my list.
Thank you.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:54 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The city proper has grown 14% in the 2010s, 50% since 1990. Yeah it's really failing. A real Youngstown.

If taxes were what made a state, Alaska would be the most dynamic state in the U.S., since it has the lowest taxes in the country, followed by Delaware and Montana.
Did you READ the first line?

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-27-2020 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: not nice

Old 07-27-2020, 04:07 PM

Oregon is growing, mostly from migration from elsewhere in the U.S., but the growth is slowing.

Their internal growth i.e. babies is slowing, as it is in most of the rest of the country. In fact, Oregon has one of the lowest birth rates in the country.

Probably most of their population growth is Californians looking for cheaper cost of living; California recently has had a net outflow of 3.3%.

What does this bode for Oregon? Not great news. The migration brings skilled workers and some tax revenue, but declining birth rate means an aging population.

Every state in the country, including the most fertile ones like Utah, is seeing a crash in births. Perhaps this helps to explain some of the unrest plaguing Portland and other "youth oriented" cities. When people in their 20s-30s are not settling down and raising families, but instead are tending to continue the lifestyle of young singles, they have a more juvenile outlook on life, and they have less of a stake in a stable, calm community, safe streets, law and order, moderate taxation, good government, etc.

We're becoming a nation of self-indulgent narcissists. Not good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland