Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 08:34 AM

200 posts, read 174,022 times

Advertisements

There is a IG page with the name @portlandlookslikesh#t. If you havent seen it, check it out. They basically take videos and pics of their followers and post it for all to see while tagging all of the city and state officials. Recently, they had an actual murder on video on there which was disturbing but most of the time its needles, theft, and homeless zombies destroying everything they can.

I for one support it because it;s a crisis that is being ignored. It also gives the public a first hand view of how policy has destroyed that great city while attempting to hold The dippy Gov and Mayors accountable even though they don't truly seem to care to make changes.

I just went back to visit in July and I can honestly say I did not feel safe in any part of Portland, its was absolutely disgusting , and the state has been ruined by the enabling. It is true anarchy. We thought about moving back but there is 0 chance I would ever want to raise my family in that environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 02:23 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Sad to hear.

My only visit was a few days in 2012, and I liked most parts of the city I walked or drove in...then.

Is it just the Portland downtown area that feels dangerous and dirty to you and maybe most locals and visitors -- but also some or even several nearby towns have been tainted, especially since the riots began last year?

Old 08-30-2021, 07:10 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
There is a IG page with the name @portlandlookslikesh#t. If you havent seen it, check it out. They basically take videos and pics of their followers and post it for all to see while tagging all of the city and state officials. Recently, they had an actual murder on video on there which was disturbing but most of the time its needles, theft, and homeless zombies destroying everything they can.

I for one support it because it;s a crisis that is being ignored. It also gives the public a first hand view of how policy has destroyed that great city while attempting to hold The dippy Gov and Mayors accountable even though they don't truly seem to care to make changes.

I just went back to visit in July and I can honestly say I did not feel safe in any part of Portland, its was absolutely disgusting , and the state has been ruined by the enabling. It is true anarchy. We thought about moving back but there is 0 chance I would ever want to raise my family in that environment.
I agree. When I left Portland I knew I would miss it, but I miss the Portland that was. I'd have a nervous breakdown if I lived there again, and had to deal with the mess its become. I've often wondered why do so many residents tolerate the city falling apart as it has. Yet pay a very high premium to live there. Does make one wonder. Why?

Old 08-30-2021, 09:56 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
So many people who have not been here, acting like only Snake Plissken can survive. I post on my Facebook routinely scenes like kids playing in parks or people eating at an outdoor cafe from around Portland, specifically for my Fox News viewing friends who seem to think it's all Mad Max here.

Are there problems? Yes. Do I want a new governor and mayor, yes. Do I think replacing them will solve those problems? No.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:28 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times
can someone post or pm the link on instagram? i can't access it. was this removed last night because of the murder footage? I don't have instragram btw not sure if that's the issue

Old 08-31-2021, 08:12 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
The account, with 87000 followers, was suspended because of the murder video.

From Willamette Week:

"When asked why moderators posted the video to the account—which shows 30-year-old Johnny Polanco being murdered by a man standing in the 7-Eleven parking lot after appearing to try and break up a fight among three people who all appeared to be women—the emailer wrote: 'Because we are in a public safety crisis and the public needs to see the raw truth so they can hold the elected officials accountable for the out of control state our city is currently in.'”

https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2021...-by-instagram/

Old 08-31-2021, 03:08 PM

289 posts, read 311,529 times
Drove through the other day with my wife, born and raised in SE Asia. Her response in summary: "It's dirty - Looks like Manila." She primarily noted the extensive graffiti and trash everywhere. And that was just driving through on the interstate! She has no bias against Portland but she can clearly see the filth compared to other US cities she's either lived in or is familiar with.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We used to go there at least 2-3 times a year, and after the last time in late 2019 we remained in our state through 2020. Finally in June we went back and were shocked at the dramatic increase in both visible homeless and graffiti. I work in Seattle, and Portland has become just as bad, suddenly. We went to one of our usual favorites, the Portland Nursery on Stark, and that area still seemed OK, but after that we decided to go to lunch in Beaverton instead, and spent the afternoon there instead of Portland.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:36 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
Drove through the other day with my wife, born and raised in SE Asia. Her response in summary: "It's dirty - Looks like Manila." She primarily noted the extensive graffiti and trash everywhere. And that was just driving through on the interstate! She has no bias against Portland but she can clearly see the filth compared to other US cities she's either lived in or is familiar with.
The interstate and parts of the city core are where it's bad. If you go to wealthy neighborhoods it's like nothing happened. It's almost like a wildfire.. some parts look fine while others burned to a crisp.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:34 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
.......... If you go to wealthy neighborhoods it's like nothing happened...........

Well, yes. If you have enough wealth, it does tend to insulate you at least a bit. Is that the secret to living in Portland? Only move there if you have much higher than normal income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland