Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM

385 posts, read 626,649 times

Advertisements

How does that make you feel?
I want to live somewhere where people are considered "earthy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 PM

385 posts, read 626,649 times
Wait...now he just referred to Oregonians as "greenies."

Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,857,145 times
What is this CNN's Rick Sanchez talking about? I mean there must be some main subject. I hope he is not just randomly calling us things.

Earthy huh? I knew there was something different about me

Last edited by Waterlily; 05-18-2008 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: fixing it

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,186,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Earthy huh? I knew there was something different about me
It must be that organic deodorant you are using.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:41 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times
Cool. I'm earthy. I don't live there now, but I was born there and lived 35 years there, so that counts, right? LOL.
I like earthy.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM

290 posts, read 1,181,489 times
Haven't been in OR long enough to know, however this is probably true from looking at the size of our garbage containers that we place at the curb for once a week pickup.. The "recycling" container is about 3 times as big as the normal trash container, and there all sort of warnings not to overflow the normal trash container. So that forced us to recycle anything and everything that can be recycled (the garbage company provided a list of items that can be recycled). They also provide two smaller containers to use for glass items (one for clear glass and one for colored glass).

Also if you drive around in the Portland area, you would get the impression that people are in love with the Prius. This car is everywhere, it is amazing. A huge change from Texas :-)

Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
What is this CNN's Rick Sanchez talking about? I mean there must be some main subject. I hope he is not just randomly calling us things.
If I had to guess, I would say it is in reference to tomorrow's democratic primary... It has kinda been in the news lately.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,186,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
Also if you drive around in the Portland area, you would get the impression that people are in love with the Prius. This car is everywhere, it is amazing. A huge change from Texas :-)
The humorous "Stuff White People Like" blog has been in the news lately. It could easily renamed "Stuff Portlanders Like."

Item #60, Toyota Prius:
".......You can buy a car, continue to drive to work and Barak Obama rallies and feel like you are helping the environment!"
The whole article:
#60 Toyota Prius « Stuff White People Like

Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 PM

290 posts, read 1,181,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The humorous "Stuff White People Like" blog has been in the news lately. It could easily renamed "Stuff Portlanders Like."

Item #60, Toyota Prius:
".......You can buy a car, continue to drive to work and Barak Obama rallies and feel like you are helping the environment!"
The whole article:
#60 Toyota Prius « Stuff White People Like
ignoring the article in that link....

When we moved from Texas, we moved with two large cars. Now I'm looking at my monthly gas bill and thinking, do I really need all the space in both? no. So going with a smaller car makes sense from a $$ point of view. Then you look at the available options, factor in the price over the period you will own it, and the gas consumption and then decide which is best option.

Another brand I see often in the Portland area is Subaru. I love the Forester, but then I need to look at the price, gas consumption (20 mi/gal in city vs 46 for the Prius) and then decide.

So to me, it is not about the environment so far. And we recycle as much as possible simply because the trash container is not big enough (not kidding).

Old 05-19-2008, 07:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,660 times
Just another "journalist" who's trying to show that he knows something when all he really knows is how to read a teleprompter.

I knew there was a reason I hate TV news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: