Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 02:55 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
I think I put it as simply as I could. If I have to transform a location to a dollar store, so be it.
Why would REI want to change their business to a Dollar Store... or any other business? Why would a Dollar Store be any safer for customers or employees than the existing REI store?

You say a lot of simple things rrampage. Why not try to stay a few more complex things that explain your point in a realistic business sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 02:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
I think I put it as simply as I could. If I have to transform a location to a dollar store, so be it.
I don't think you understand how this works. Even if REI had the ability to simply devolve into a dollar store, that location would be just as vulnerable to factors that keep customers away.

Even WalMart fled downtown Portland. Not sure why you think a dollar store wouldn't do the same.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:59 PM

374 posts, read 257,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Why would REI want to change their business to a Dollar Store... or any other business? Why would a Dollar Store be any safer for customers or employees than the existing REI store?

You say a lot of simple things rrampage. Why not try to stay a few more complex things that explain your point in a realistic business sense?

Why wouldn't they? The more flexibility, the better. I am being completely realistic. I would want to serve multiple market segments, not just a concentrated one. It gives me more flexibility.

Safety is never guaranteed. Different markets adapt better to risk than others.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think you understand how this works. Even if REI had the ability to simply devolve into a dollar store, that location would be just as vulnerable to factors that keep customers away.

Even WalMart fled downtown Portland. Not sure why you think a dollar store wouldn't do the same.

No, I do understand how this works. You act as if Portland has no businesses left due to homelessness/crime. That is simply not the case. REI could choose to adapt if they wanted to. But, there's the negative side of strictly following an inflexible business plan.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
No, I do understand how this works. You act as if Portland has no businesses left due to homelessness/crime. That is simply not the case. REI could choose to adapt if they wanted to. But, there's the negative side of strictly following an inflexible business plan.
No, you don't understand how it works. At all. The PTB at REI don't even have the choice to suddenly become a dollar store. Do you even realize that REI does not own that building?

And you haven't explained how a dollar store is going to thrive in that location. Do you think that a dollar store will be able to bear the losses from theft/vandalism more easily than others? You'd be wrong; they're operating on an even slimmer profit margin. Or do you think that the low prices would incentivize customer traffic? Good luck with convincing legit residents in and around the Pearl to shop at a dollar store in the first place, let alone navigate homeless activity to get there.

Do you even live in Oregon?

You can read more about downtown Portland's struggles here:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...b-7ee1688b1f0a

Old 05-08-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, you don't understand how it works. At all. The PTB at REI don't even have the choice to suddenly become a dollar store. Do you even realize that REI does not own that building?

And you haven't explained how a dollar store is going to thrive in that location. Do you think that a dollar store will be able to bear the losses from theft/vandalism more easily than others? You'd be wrong; they're operating on an even slimmer profit margin. Or do you think that the low prices would incentivize customer traffic? Good luck with convincing legit residents in and around the Pearl to shop at a dollar store in the first place, let alone navigate homeless activity to get there.

Do you even live in Oregon?

You can read more about downtown Portland's struggles here:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...b-7ee1688b1f0a

Show me the law that says they couldn't sell a different variety of items at that failed location.

I see a lot of hyperbole and political propaganda on here. But, little in the way of anything factual. Just look at a google map of that area. Plenty of businesses around.

I'm not coming here with a political agenda.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times
Quote:
Show me the law that says they couldn't sell a different variety of items at that failed location.

I see a lot of hyperbole and political propaganda on here. But, little in the way of anything factual. Just look at a google map of that area. Plenty of businesses around.

I'm not coming here with a political agenda.
lol if this is the level of thought and rationalization from some of the Portlanders, the bottom is still a long ways down. Good luck the rest of you.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:40 PM

We have people acting as if Portland is a 3rd World Country. Too much political propaganda in this thread.

So, anyway, nevermind.......

Old 05-08-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
lol if this is the level of thought and rationalization from some of the Portlanders, the bottom is still a long ways down. Good luck the rest of you.
I suspect that rrampage has never set foot in Portland.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Because you probably don't know this, REI is structured as consumers cooperative. Go read the company's bylaws and then get back to me about how easy it would be for them to devolve into a dollar store.

And you haven't answered the question of how a dollar store would even be successful in Portland's Pearl District. Dollar stores are placed in locations near their customer base for a reason, and that wouldn't be the Pearl. Edit from previous comments, it seems your real problem with that retailer is that their products are too expensive for you.

It's pretty clear that you don't even know the fundamental basics of business...

Not sure why you're trying to make this political, but I guess that's all you've got.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-08-2023 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland