Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM

146 posts, read 641,408 times

Advertisements

'El Rey' reigns in Portland radio scene - OregonLive.com

I was shocked by this story. I always thought that the struggling economy in Portland and the large number of young people who come to Portland to live would limit the need for Hispanic Immigrants. But I understand that the Hispanic Population of Portland and the rest of Oregon is booming. Some people think that it could be another Los Angeles in a few years.

Have you noticed a huge influx of Hispanics into Portland? What impact will it have on our culture.

(For the sake of discussion I have no opinion about the issue other than shock)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Okay, I'll take the bait, but only momentarily. The article's fifth paragraph says:

"The station took the top place while drawing an average of just 6.4 percent of the Portland audience listening to radio at any one time, a statistic that reveals the fragmented nature of Portland's radio market. No other privately owned station -- country, rock, top 40, news/talk -- got more than a 5 percent share."

So the research doesn't really prove much except that Portlanders have diverse tastes in radio. It doesn't discuss the methodology of achieving the "No. 1" spot -- whether it's a listener survey (notoriously biased by who chooses to -- and not to respond) or by some other criteria. It also doesn't account for declining radio audiences due to satellite radio and MP3/4 listening.

It's more of a "newsy" item (a la Stephen Colbert's "truthiness"), than a news story. It's interesting, but not analytical enough to really "say" anything. Catchy, though.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 427,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Have you noticed a huge influx of Hispanics into Portland? What impact will it have on our culture.
Improve it?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 AM

42 posts, read 142,436 times
I believe that the more diversified that Portland becomes the more it will add in a positive manner to the City. I think that a growing number of peoples of different backgrounds, from different cultures bring with them a multitude of good to a community. Hispanics are now the largest minority in the US and make up nearly 40% of the population of California. It is only natural that Oregon and more specifically Portland has seen and will see a continued increase in the Latino populaton. Therefore it is not surprising that a Spanish language radio station has the highest ratings in the Portland area. The Max gives all of their recorded announcements in both English and Spanish and everyone will see this more and more in the future.

I believe that Hispanics and other minorities will continue to add to what makes Portland a great place to call home.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 AM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
[quote=Oregon
I always thought that the struggling economy in Portland and the large number of young people who come to Portland to live would limit the need for Hispanic Immigrants.[/QUOTE]

By your logic, it seems as if:

1. You think a struggling economy is a good thing if it keeps the Hispanics away.

2. There's no such thing as a young Hispanic immigrant.

Am I correct?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
This may be a bit off topic but what I find most disturbing is that in years (generations) past, when a large immigrant population began to make its presence known in this country, one of its primary goals was assimilation. All those Poles, Italians, Greeks, etc. came to this country and began learning English almost immediately. Few if any accomodations were made to make anything accessible in their native languages. That doesn't seem to be the case with this new tidal wave of Spanish-speaking immigrants. It's getting harder and harder to find anything that doesn't include a Spanish translation. Where's the incentive to assimilate now?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:31 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I don't know how it would impact Portland, but here are some of the things that have occurred in other cities that have had a huge influx of Hispanics:

An increase in competition for scarce entry level jobs.

An increase in crime.

An increase in gang activity.

An increase in welfare use.

An increase in the use of social service programs.

An increase in out of wedlock births.

An increase in school dropout rates.

A decrease in school standardized test scores.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I don't know how it would impact Portland, but here are some of the things that have occurred in other cities that have had a huge influx of Hispanics:

An increase in competition for scarce entry level jobs.

An increase in crime.

An increase in gang activity.

An increase in welfare use.

An increase in the use of social service programs.

An increase in out of wedlock births.

An increase in school dropout rates.

A decrease in school standardized test scores.
You may be correct, but I would prefer that a post that seems so negative about one rather amorphous group be sourced to the specific research that you refer to.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 PM

146 posts, read 641,408 times
The Hispanic Population of Los Angeles has boomed and they now dominate the City. What impact has this had on the social indicators mentioned above by another poster?

Would Portland be a better City if it were similar to LA demographically?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Um...wasn't LA once part of Mexico's land anyway? It's not like Mexican influence hasn't always been part of Southern California and California in general.

And as for LA, demographics of LA are complicated and exist for many reasons. Of course Portland as LA (a carbon copy) would not make it a better city. Would Portland as a more diverse city make it a better place? That's the question you should be asking, not if one race or another dominates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: