Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM

716 posts, read 2,821,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I've been to Florida a number of times. My parents live in Cape Coral. I've been around Orlando/Kissimee, Palm Coast. Driven through the rest of it... ... Seen the people, talked to the people... ... I'm scratching my head here because nothing, not one single thing jumps out at me and says 'Portland!'. Nothing. Nada. Nicht.

H
+1. I couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
If I have a shortlist, its St Pete and Sarasota and Tampa to a degree.
I feel South Floridian born and raised residents actually resemble oregonians kinda.
Those are the three cities that that seem to come up in my research as well. Although I think Sarasota might be more the yuppie version. St. Pete though is the one I keep coming back to as a ''maybe to live in, if in Florida''. Tampa seems like a wasteland, with St. Pete being the gem. I'm just not sure how much of a gem it actually is though. (I'm bumping this up, because I'm quite interested in renewing this topic in the Portland forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
I live in Tampa Bay, and it's not nearly as progressive as Portland. It has its beauty, but is somewhat stunted culturally.
This is a repetitive theme I always hear. When I try to get involved in the Tampa forums as well, there are always some real bizarre remarks by posters that seem to strongly confirm this.

Actually most of the thread seems to confirm quite consistently that nowhere in Florida has any Oregon vibe whatsoever.

I wonder, what is it about ST PETERSBURG in particular, that people seem to regularly refer to it as this 'exception to the Florida' norm, as I'm picking up the vibe from Oregonians that nowhere is like Oregon whatsoever.

Those who've spent time in St. Pete, why might you think some people state that St. Pete is a gem among FLoridian cities?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM

240 posts, read 483,808 times
I lived in the Tampa Bay area for 25 years before moving to Oregon almost 4 years ago. I have spent a good deal of time in St. Pete; I would have to say it might seem like a "gem" because of the contrast with Tampa. St. Pete is much more liberal (compare the St. Pete Times to the Tampa Tribune), lots of beaches, and the people in general just seem happier there. Tampa is greatly hampered by its conservatism.

Regarding comparisons with Oregon, no, I can't think of any place in Florida that is anything like any place in Oregon. If I had to live anywhere in Florida again (heaven forbid), however, I'd choose Sarasota (where I did live for a time while going to school), because of its commitment to the arts and the natural beauty of the area itself. However, the oppressive heat and humidity, lack of good public transportation and general conservative and rather backward mindset of most of Florida would prevent me from ever living there again. I'm very glad there's no place in Oregon like in Florida!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
I don't think anywhere in Florida is going to feel like Portland, but I have some friends that are from Florida that I knew in Portland that are back in Jacksonville and seem to really love it there.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicanne View Post
I lived in the Tampa Bay area for 25 years before moving to Oregon almost 4 years ago. I have spent a good deal of time in St. Pete; I would have to say it might seem like a "gem" because of the contrast with Tampa. St. Pete is much more liberal (compare the St. Pete Times to the Tampa Tribune), lots of beaches, and the people in general just seem happier there. Tampa is greatly hampered by its conservatism.
I'm curious if that detracts from St. Pete quite a bit. I mean, it might be quite comfortable in that little pocket, but when you know the entire region all around you, is one big sea of red and bad ideas and the bumper stickers and editorial comments. Does it have a repel feel, even if someone was living in a St. Pete?

I'm also curious how different or similar St. Pete might be from the NW mindset. I'd imagine completely different. But are some obvious similarities and differences between the St. Pete mindset and the Portland mindset?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM

178 posts, read 392,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
Nothing in Florida resembles Portland. If you like Portland and the overall environment it is best to avoid Florida.
I absolutely agree! I am from Eugene, 11 years ago I was trying to find a way to move to Portland, but I got offered a position in FL and I took it. BIG MISTAKE! FL is a flat land of big box store suburban sprawl and a conservatives paradise. There is nothing here even remotely resembling Portland.

I do like the downtown, Lake Eola, Thornton Park area of Orlando (Winter Park is nice too) but it doesn't come close to Portland, in size or feel. A bit of St Pete downtown is alright, but the rest of the city sucks. Tampa, give me a break! It's virtually all office towers downtown with no street livability and little to no life after 5pm.

The only thing keeping me here is a job and lack of savings. I'm working on finding a way to finally move to Portland and get the H*LL out of Florida! Some days I just want to take the risk and do it without any lifeline, as it starts heating up again that will become much more tempting.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great people here, and some cool things, but it's not my homeland, Oregon is. Florida is nothing like it. Great place to vacation, but it's not home.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicanne View Post
If I had to live anywhere in Florida again (heaven forbid), however, I'd choose Sarasota (where I did live for a time while going to school), because of its commitment to the arts and the natural beauty of the area itself. However, the oppressive heat and humidity, lack of good public transportation and general conservative and rather backward mindset of most of Florida would prevent me from ever living there again. I'm very glad there's no place in Oregon like in Florida!
I live in Sarasota now and my feeling is that it's arts community is great if you are part of the 1% other wise not so great. That's why my name for it is Snobbysota.

It's funny sometime this place feels like it is so proud of itself but in my opinion the Hult Center for the performing arts in Eugene blows the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall here away! There is really no decent conference/convention facilities here like at the Eugene Conference center right next door to the Hult Center or like the Lane County Fairgrounds.

If you like Renascence art and the Circus, the Ringling Museum is very nice, Selby Gardens is very nice too, but overall I'll take Eugene or Portland any day.

For a while Sarasota had a green vibe going that I liked but it's all but gone now.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Those who've spent time in St. Pete, why might you think some people state that St. Pete is a gem among FLoridian cities?
I've spent a little time in St. Pete and really couldn't tell you. The downtown core area is pretty cool, (MUCH BETTER than Tampa, but that's not saying much.) but it's also pretty small. I have heard that St. Pete is more liberal, but it's not where I live and I don't like it enough to want to spend more time there.

I like how Thornton Park and downtown Orlando feels better, there is a nice area of shops and restaurants in small towers there that is really nice, including a Publix grocery store at the base of a condo tower a stones throw from Lake Eola, Do a Google street view - the Publix is at 400 E Central Blvd, Orlando, FL. Very nice for FL but it's still not close to Portland!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post
I've spent a little time in St. Pete and really couldn't tell you. The downtown core area is pretty cool, (MUCH BETTER than Tampa, but that's not saying much.) but it's also pretty small. I have heard that St. Pete is more liberal, but it's not where I live and I don't like it enough to want to spend more time there.

I like how Thornton Park and downtown Orlando feels better, there is a nice area of shops and restaurants in small towers there that is really nice, including a Publix grocery store at the base of a condo tower a stones throw from Lake Eola, Do a Google street view - the Publix is at 400 E Central Blvd, Orlando, FL. Very nice for FL but it's still not close to Portland!
St. Pete. Before I knew St. Pete was 'one of the only few good looking cities' in Florida. I visited the area, and kind of basically drove through it, didn't see a whole lot to get me to get out of the car, etc. And moved on. I saw much less of Tampa to get me out of the car. Ybor looked interesting, but again, it was just a party area, and outside of partying, it didn't seem like the kind of place either you'd want to get out of your car and walk around all day.

Afterwards I learned that many people with urban-mindedness in FL hold St. Pete in high regard. But, if you are there, and nothing about it draws you there to even spend time. Then it must be doing something wrong. That being said, it does seem to be the only place in the area that has the bones of a city, that has the potential of something way better.

Orlando was one that surprised me, when I visited. I actually quite liked the city, which I didn't expect. That's interesting you said you like the feel better as well. The Disneyland stuff is actually a real turn-off for me, I don't know if I could live in a city whose economy relies on Disney tourists - I really dislike the concept of a corporation building a 'fake city' for people to walk around all day and pay overpriced food and drinks all day. Particularly when if they just did proper cities in that region of the U.S., people wouldn't need to park at Disneyland to walk around all day.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,405 times
I live in St. Pete and came across this thread because I'm looking to move the Pacific NW, most likey Portland. I've never been to Portland, or Oregon for that matter, so I find it interesting that St. Pete would be the popular choice in resembling Portland. I have been to Seattle and WA and one of the things I liked about it was that the people were nothing like they are here.

As for the city, downtown St. Pete is the entire city's only redeeming point. Several microbreweries have popped up, there are tons of restaurants and unique shops, a Saturday morning market, and art shows, etc. And that's about all the good I can say about St. Pete and the surrounding area. I've lived here most of my life and I can't stand it. I'll gladly trade the beaches and the suffocating heat and humidity most of the year for the green and rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland