Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,358 times

Advertisements

I look at the area, its more gang infested, however, from my experience staying in a hotel near the max rail, it is a convenient location to all parts of Portland. A quick ride to 42nd and Hollywood to catch the Hawthorne bus or by car its very close. Not far from Lloyd Center stop, Close enough to downtown. I find if you live in Beaverton, your farther from more things.
I think considering, NE 82nd isn't that bad altho nobodys favorite but rather affordable probably moreso than other central areas to things. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
I'm curious, what does a gang look like? I also stayed in a hotel on 82nd near the I84 and couldn't say whether there were gangs there or not. However, even though blind my GF knew we were in a part of town that wasn't the nicest. We lasted one night and headed for a less 'seedy' vibe. It hasn't been my experience that in the new economy that rents are lower in more run down area's. Rents are high everywhere but fewer questions are asked and less screening is done in order to rent something near 82nd than someplace nicer. Lloyd Center is not the Javits Center in NYC. I'm saying this in the nicest possible way to suggest that proximity to it wouldn't be a reason to live near the 82nd St MAX stop. Those are my thoughts.

H

Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,358 times
Yea I could see how someone could pick up its not the nicest area but I dont mean how Lloyd Center is the top place in Portland like an I gotta live right near there kinda thing. I just mean how Ne 82nd area is central to most things in Portland and the less screening factor is something to look at I think only if more are extremely fussy to renters in other parts. Rents also do not seem much lower around NE 82nd than they do around Hawthorne really but maybe a little bit.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
There are some areas along 82nd that I don't think would be too bad, but 82nd & I-84 isn't one of them. I wouldn't want to live there. It's just too transitory of a population. If you're looking out that way, I think going to Gateway would be a bit better, or down to Hollywood.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:34 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
I can't think of any area along 82nd ave I'd consider remotely safe. Prostitution, drugs, pimps... and I'm sure some gang activity as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 AM

333 posts, read 810,771 times
How safe is it around NE 82nd and Sandy? There's a business over there that's worth the drive from the westside (Ed's House of Gems - awesome rock shop on Sandy) but I do feel a little uneasy with the street traffic sometimes.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
How safe is it around NE 82nd and Sandy? There's a business over there that's worth the drive from the westside (Ed's House of Gems - awesome rock shop on Sandy) but I do feel a little uneasy with the street traffic sometimes.

It's very VERY unsafe. So come during the day, do your business and leave. Since there is so much crime, there are also a lot of police patrol.

You'll be fine.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,910 times
Hawthorne is the trendy, hippie area. It'll be way more expensive there, but you're paying to be near Vegetarian (and Vegan) restaurants, art parades, and trendy older houses that are well kept (often). Beaverton is a higher rent area, but it is also near many of the technology companies too. And there is Washington Square mall out that way.

But I also notice you're limiting yourself to areas next to the max. While the max can be nice for transportation there are tons of buses that can get you around too. Or biking, etc...

Old 01-14-2009, 06:02 PM

333 posts, read 810,771 times
Thanks for the warning Blazer. I was just there a few days ago and as I got out of my car a young man walking down the sidewalk addressed me - asked "Do you smoke?" I said "no, sorry" because I thought he wanted to bum a cigarette! I guess if I'd said yes he might have asked more interesting followup questions. I've been there a few times - always during the middle of the day mainly cause of traffic concerns.

To add a positive note....I really like the Hawthorne area too. I visit some fun stores and restaurants there sometimes. It really makes me wish I were in my twenties again because it seems like a wonderful place to misspend your youth

Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
Thanks for the warning Blazer. I was just there a few days ago and as I got out of my car a young man walking down the sidewalk addressed me - asked "Do you smoke?" I said "no, sorry" because I thought he wanted to bum a cigarette! I guess if I'd said yes he might have asked more interesting followup questions. I've been there a few times - always during the middle of the day mainly cause of traffic concerns.

To add a positive note....I really like the Hawthorne area too. I visit some fun stores and restaurants there sometimes. It really makes me wish I were in my twenties again because it seems like a wonderful place to misspend your youth

I like NW 23rd. The shops, the restaurants, watching the people. I may not be a big city fan, but there are some quaint areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland