Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,644 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to Portland after finishing my degree in graphic design, and am finding it very difficult to find any work. I have a good resume, my bachelors degree, and a portfolio of what I can do, as well as sales and management experience, yet I can't even seem to get an interview anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Nope, you are affected by the economy just like the estimated 100,000 other people in the Portland area. The positions you sound like you are looking for have a drastic over abundance of people looking for the same position. Many people seem to come to Portland thinking youth, flexibility, and eagerness are a good competition to advanced education and experience of the many that have been laid of from firms recently.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
subsound is correct. Most of the graphic design professionals are employed in consumer products (NIKE, Columbia Sportswear, Adidas and the like). All those businesses have been hit hard by this economic situation and probably struggling to hold on to their current workforce.

FYI, there is HUGE competition for a slot at NIKE under the best of economic conditions. Make sure that you look at many other employers... or develop a clientele of your own.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,644 times
It seems to affecting everything. Not even sales are really hiring. Right now I am willing to suck it up and work out of my field, but still no luck. c'est la vie, I suppose.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 AM

58 posts, read 167,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter6981 View Post
I just moved back to Portland after finishing my degree in graphic design, and am finding it very difficult to find any work. I have a good resume, my bachelors degree, and a portfolio of what I can do, as well as sales and management experience, yet I can't even seem to get an interview anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
If you are mobile, try looking at other parts of the nation, that your career might be in demand. Some places are doing a better than others.
You do not want to waste an education.
Always have a job lined up, before you move.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Have you not read about the 9% reported unemployment record or all the many posts about people living here being laid off by the thousands? There are virtually no jobs in Portland. Period. Sorry to be so grouchy but I just got through doing my taxes and the "privilege" of living in this overrated state is costing me dearly.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
It's not you...it's this damned situation we're in.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Have you not read about the 9% reported unemployment record or all the many posts about people living here being laid off by the thousands? There are virtually no jobs in Portland. Period. Sorry to be so grouchy but I just got through doing my taxes and the "privilege" of living in this overrated state is costing me dearly.
You're just being realistic, and not misleanding people.

Overpriced and overrated certainly does apply to Oregon, just like a lot of other places. We're all in this economic mess.

I don't find you grouchy at all Minervah. And I don't think anyone has to apologize for an honest opinion.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
You're just being realistic, and not misleanding people.

Overpriced and overrated certainly does apply to Oregon, just like a lot of other places. We're all in this economic mess.

I don't find you grouchy at all Minervah. And I don't think anyone has to apologize for an honest opinion.
Thanks, SeeBee. I went out and bought one thing I could afford after paying those taxes; a mint-chocolate chip ice cream cone. I feel so much better!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Good for you, Minervah! Now, you've got me thinking about my taxes...last year I owed more taxes for the first time in my life. What a shocker...I was told to expect to owe a slightly larger amount this year.

I'm going to get my pout on, and stock up on vegan carrot cake and soy ice cream. ~ doing taxes this week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland