Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:35 PM

26 posts, read 144,905 times

Advertisements

I dont understand the fascination with Portland. The city is a port city that was built for logging and fishing which has long since left. Portland has a population of 2,300,000 and isnt a small town anymore. Traffic can be backed up for miles around the city because many of the highways havent been upgraded. Also recreation isnt that great in the city. You have to drive out to the coast or the mountains to get into the nice areas. Why is Portland so great? Its not next to the ocean or the pudget sound. Its just a city in a valley. Portland is over hyped. I think the cities out in central and eastern washington are alot nicer. There is little traffic out there and lots of recreation.

Last edited by cn1221; 11-22-2007 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:23 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Do you even live here? Just curious where you came up with your info. Or maybe I should say welcome back 'nova?

Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 PM

26 posts, read 144,905 times
No, I live in the Portland metro. I dont understand why people like oldtintype and others think its so great. I know about the new IKEA by the airport, i know about nw portland with restaurants, the congestion over I-5 into vancouver, renaming interstate ave to chavez, powell butte nature park out in gresham, etc....Im from the area. I just found this place cold or cloudy and increasingly crowded. Also you have to drive pretty far out of the city to get to the mountains or the beach. Also Oldtintype you sound suspiciously like a realtor.

Last edited by cn1221; 11-22-2007 at 07:00 PM..

Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 PM

A realtor. Ha-ha-ha. Far from it. Maybe you need to get out more and spend time doing things in the area. There is tons to do. Or maybe the area isn't for you and you should relocate. I talk about Portland because I like it here and I like what the city has to offer. It's not perfect, no place is, but it has a lot of great strengths and I'm very happy here.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 AM

31 posts, read 121,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
A realtor. Ha-ha-ha. Far from it. Maybe you need to get out more and spend time doing things in the area. There is tons to do. Or maybe the area isn't for you and you should relocate. I talk about Portland because I like it here and I like what the city has to offer. It's not perfect, no place is, but it has a lot of great strengths and I'm very happy here.
Tintype is right. There is TONS to do. Just put the phrase "When it's not raining" at the end and they're all true. Example: We have a beautiful view of Mt. Hood...when it's not raining.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn1221 View Post
I dont understand the fascination with Portland. The city is a port city that was built for logging and fishing which has long since left. Portland has a population of 2,300,000 and isnt a small town anymore. Traffic can be backed up for miles around the city because many of the highways havent been upgraded. Also recreation isnt that great in the city. You have to drive out to the coast or the mountains to get into the nice areas. Why is Portland so great? Its not next to the ocean or the pudget sound. Its just a city in a valley. Portland is over hyped. I think the cities out in central and eastern washington are alot nicer. There is little traffic out there and lots of recreation.
Portland's trying to become a real city. Be nice.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsux View Post
Why are so many people like tintype spending so much time trying to sell Portland when they claim they have nothing to gain?

I think he is a realtor. Portland is way overhyped in my opinion.
Why do so many people come on here just to say negative or inaccurate things about Portland? It goes both ways. And I'm neither male nor a realtor.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Why do so many people come on here just to say negative or inaccurate things about Portland? It goes both ways. And I'm neither male nor a realtor.
People don't come to Portland to say negative things. People move to Portland with great intentions. It's AFTER you move here that you realize that it really does not live up to the "brochure." The fascination with Portland also has to do with its own smugness. You'll see Keep Portland Weird signs. AS IF. Paleeze. We're all weird here just because we're not like the midwest. But you'll soon notice that it's okay to be weird as long as you're weird like us. It's Alabama for lefties.

Last edited by starchild1; 11-23-2007 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Cool it's because of the super cool

Baby Boomers who shaped the town politically in the 70s and 80s. It's great because it JUST IS, and always will be.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:54 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Do you even live here? Just curious where you came up with your info. Or maybe I should say welcome back 'nova?
Yea, my thoughts as well. All one has to do when you read posts like a few here is look at all their other posts. They offer no help or insight and all the opinions are negative. Some people are either, lonely , mean, or just want to stir a pot and get attention, like the reoccuring lady troll who keeps getting kicked out then rises from the dead with a new name/same game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland