Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 12,323 times

Advertisements

Hello, my girlfriend and I are looking to make the switch from southern cali to Portland. And we want to do it asap. I was thinking around January would be good for us, but I want to know if its a good time to move? is the weather decent enough? Will i be bouncing all over the roads like that crazy portland Youtube video?

And lastly, any suggests on Suburbs with good access to metro transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 53,038 times
January is an iffy month.
It's somewhat cold (30 to 40 F), but when it gets really cold (15 to 30F), it tends to be dry and windy.
Late December/early January is the prime time for a snowstorm.
IF we get one, it can last from a day to a week from snowfall to clear roads.
Last year was very unusual as far as snow amount and duration.
Getting over the Siskiyous on the CA/OR border might be more of a challenge than Portland in January.

If your moving up here on a wing and a prayer, it has been said very truthfully that no time is a good time to move to Portland without a substantial nest egg and a job lined up!

Please heed that advice! We ain't lying.
No matter what you have heard, Portland is not the easy livin' Shangri-La people seem to think it is.

Last edited by ColoQuadRacer; 07-23-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaKevin View Post
Hello, my girlfriend and I are looking to make the switch from southern cali to Portland. And we want to do it asap. I was thinking around January would be good for us, but I want to know if its a good time to move? is the weather decent enough? Will i be bouncing all over the roads like that crazy portland Youtube video?

And lastly, any suggests on Suburbs with good access to metro transportation?
Make sure you have traction tires, chains and keep a close eye on tripcheck.com. January is the worst month for winter travel.

Like the other reply said, make sure you bring enough money to live on for 1-2 years because there are no jobs at the present time unless you have highly specialized skills and an extensive local network to help you.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 12,323 times
damn really? Sounds like its not the perfect time to move their, but we are so sick of living in LA. Any idea how the temp services are up there? There isn't much money that can be saved here, certainly not a years worth of expenses... I'm hoping we can find a way to make it work!

I see that housing is half the price we are paying now, I pay 1200 a month to rent a room in a house with 4 other people... Just seems sooo much cheaper... and it looks like my line of work makes approximately the same as in LA.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
January might not be the best time of year as mentioned in previous post. March should be better plus you will get introduced to some Oregon rain while your at it.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaKevin View Post
There isn't much money that can be saved here, certainly not a years worth of expenses... I'm hoping we can find a way to make it work!

Then come up here on vacation and try and line up a job before you make the move.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
What is your line of work Kevin? That is or should be the operative question. It all hangs on that. If you can't work in Oregon it doesn't really matter if the COL is 1/2 or less of LA. OTOH there may not be a CA to live in by January...

H

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
Im in the same boat now, but am also taking the good advice from those who know what they're talking abot.
I want to move to Portland in the worst way, however, if it takes a long time for me to get a network in Portland and I happen to make enough friends to be happy where I am now, it might delay my move a bit. I got an open mind with this life direction of mine. I prefer it to be in Portland, but if it is too bad, Im deciding to take the advice of those who know and my future could be in the northeast for awhile. At least one thing is this, the northeast is a bit more stable for jobs than Portland is.
If I take longer to get to Portland, I know its for the best.

I do have a question tho, what should your nest egg be going there? 10 grand?

I know someone who went from the east to SF with 3 grand BUT then again, it was SF. More stable than PDX I would think so you could go with $3000 and find a job quicker.
Portland Im guessing you'll need 10g?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 PM

[Q]Portland Im guessing you'll need 10g?[/quote]

$10K sounds about right. That would give you about 4-6 months to look around. Save the last $1k to get back home if all else fails.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
[Q]Portland Im guessing you'll need 10g?
$10K sounds about right. That would give you about 4-6 months to look around. Save the last $1k to get back home if all else fails.[/quote]

****! I knew it had to be a lot and that would only give you 4-6 months of time huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: