Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 01:36 AM

32 posts, read 56,264 times

Advertisements

I'm a graduate student in psychology currently finishing up my last year in Phoenix, AZ. I am sick and tired of the desert and the sun and would like to go some place lush and green with trees and flowers, etc. I have strongly been considering the Pacific Northwest for internship and to possibly live there, and am wondering what it is like for African-Americans?

I suppose I should say more about myself so that I can receive better answers. I am originally from SC and moved to PHX, and I am looking for a place that has the amenities of a city but also has a community feel at the same time. I am a professional and a poet, and I am a bit eclectic without being anywhere near the extreme. I'd like to be in an environment where I can enjoy other creative and intelligent people.

I realize that there won't be ample diversity in most of the Pac NW, but after looking at demographics Portland and Seattle have higher percentages of blacks than PHX. While I would like the opportunity to see other minorities on a fairly regular basis, I am more concerned about tolerance. Also, I am open to other cities than Portland and Seattle. I have heard things about Corvallis and Bend, etc. I am open to a smaller city as long as it has what I am looking for.

Please share any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions you may have. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 07:15 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
You'll fit in just fine in any of the cities you mentioned.

The biggest issue is employment. Pre-arrange your internship before you move and don't limit yourself to just one area.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
There are a couple of newspapers that serve the African-American community in Portland:

http://www.theskanner.com

http://www.portlandobserver.com

If you can find a good employment situation, I think you would really enjoy Portland.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
From the way you write, phxbelle, I assume you to be... ... middle class. You will be very disappointed if you come to Portland (or Seattle) expecting to find plenty of other African Americans on your level. I have been here a year and have not found any. All the people I know here (including my partner) are white. The blacks I see on the MAX or encounter on the street in Beaverton or NoPo (North Portland) are from another world. I can't talk to them and they mostly don't talk to me. When they do I can understand maybe every second word. I have never lived there but I imagine there is a wide range of black people in the south and while fewer will be middle class and/or higher educated there will certainly be enough around to have community.

Since I will not, cannot live in the 'black section' of PDX (been there, done that in NYC) I live among the whites (and hispanics) in Hillsboro. 'Tolerance' is as about as good as it gets. I am here for some specifics and intrinsics of PDX that has nothing to do with the people here. Those have not disappointed me. Maybe your upbringing in the south will make it possible for you to fit in in NE or SE Portland and find a nice church or your work will provide you with community. I just fell into work and community out here to the west and don't get much opportunity to see Portland proper on weekends. Let me know if you do decide to come up. I can at least show you around the place a little.

H

Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 PM

152 posts, read 335,418 times
Yes, I agree that it seems you will fit into Portland nicely. I am black and like the previous poster, I live on the West side (NW Portland) my partner is white and most of the people I know here are white. Although, the black people I come into contact with are pretty normal to me, so I can't speak on that point, LOL.

I moved from the east coast and have been here 2 years. When I do get to go downtown, I love it, I think Portland is a very cool, manageable city. The rain usually comes and stays for the late fall, winter and much of Spring. The summers are very hot and dry, but being from Phx, you are used to that. The up side, is that if you are here in PDX, you will get a break from the heat at some point.

It is very diverse here on many levels, so that should not be an issue here. From what you say, it seems that it is most important for you to find people that you have a connection with and I don't think you'll have a problem with that.

Good luck and keep us in the loop on your progress!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 AM

32 posts, read 56,264 times
Thanks for the replies. This is good information to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland