Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel downtown Portland? I'll be flying in on 11/20 to spend a couple days and see the city. I've never been there, and need a little break, so I picked Portland for a weekend trip. I've heard that you can take light rail from the airport, and going somewhere where I don't need a rental car was a big factor. I'm looking for a hotel that's decent, under $100 a night, and on/near a light rail line, and in an area where I could walk/take light rail to attractions. Also, any suggestions on things to do/see downtown would be helpful. Mostly I just want to relax, but see the city too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
As an aid in your searching.....

Yes, The Red Line MAX runs from the airport to Downtown.
Details: TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area

Using Google Maps, zoom into Portland city, and notice there is an area formed by I-405 and I-5 next to the River. That is about where Downtown Portland is. Now, turn on the Transit feature under the more... button. You are looking for the Transit Mall, or also known as Pioneer Square. It is just to the west of the 9th US District Court of Appeals building (known locally as Pioneer Courthouse.) Normally that (Pioneer Square) is the stop to exit the Red Line MAX light rail for connections to else where in Downtown Portland. Aside: Downtown Portland is known as "Fareless Square" as most mass transit is free (Fare-Less) in the downtown area.

There are quite a few very nice hotels in downtown Portland, and they do offer weekend deals via Internet places like priceline.com Also try this link, but IMHO, price line has better deals.
Downtown Portland Hotels Cheap : Discount Hotels Near Downtown Portland

But here is the deal, you most likely will want to visit the area just north of downtown called the Pearl and Old Town.
Read about the Pearl District here:Susan's Online Guide to Portland Oregon - The City of Roses
This site is a bit rah-rah by a real estate broker, but it is good info.

Hotel Lucia has really sharp dressing door men, so I presume $$$. The Portland Marriott on Broadway is close to the Pearl. But again, go for bargains on Internet for either of those places.

Things to Do....
Powell's book store for one (this is what a book store should be like!)

As for restaurants try this local review:
“Restaurant Guide 2009” | Willamette Week | October 21st, 2009
{Aside: be aware the reviewers for this publication are younger adults who, IMHO, are biased to foods that urban 20 or 30 years olds will find very enjoyable. Foods which are lighter (quantity, volume) on the meats and fewer dishes with heavy classical type sauces.}

Others will offer their suggestions also.

Phil

Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
As an aid in your searching.....

Yes, The Red Line MAX runs from the airport to Downtown.
Details: TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area

Using Google Maps, zoom into Portland city, and notice there is an area formed by I-405 and I-5 next to the River. That is about where Downtown Portland is. Now, turn on the Transit feature under the more... button. You are looking for the Transit Mall, or also known as Pioneer Square. It is just to the west of the 9th US District Court of Appeals building (known locally as Pioneer Courthouse.) Normally that (Pioneer Square) is the stop to exit the Red Line MAX light rail for connections to else where in Downtown Portland. Aside: Downtown Portland is known as "Fareless Square" as most mass transit is free (Fare-Less) in the downtown area.

There are quite a few very nice hotels in downtown Portland, and they do offer weekend deals via Internet places like priceline.com Also try this link, but IMHO, price line has better deals.
Downtown Portland Hotels Cheap : Discount Hotels Near Downtown Portland

But here is the deal, you most likely will want to visit the area just north of downtown called the Pearl and Old Town.
Read about the Pearl District here:Susan's Online Guide to Portland Oregon - The City of Roses
This site is a bit rah-rah by a real estate broker, but it is good info.

Hotel Lucia has really sharp dressing door men, so I presume $$$. The Portland Marriott on Broadway is close to the Pearl. But again, go for bargains on Internet for either of those places.

Things to Do....
Powell's book store for one (this is what a book store should be like!)

As for restaurants try this local review:
“Restaurant Guide 2009” | Willamette Week | October 21st, 2009
{Aside: be aware the reviewers for this publication are younger adults who, IMHO, are biased to foods that urban 20 or 30 years olds will find very enjoyable. Foods which are lighter (quantity, volume) on the meats and fewer dishes with heavy classical type sauces.}

Others will offer their suggestions also.

Phil
Thanks Phil. This is very helpful. I chose Portland because it's one of only a couple major cities in the U.S. I haven't been to, and Oregon is one of only three states I've never been to. Plus I've heard so many great things about it. For some reason, Denver (where I live) always seems to be compared to it, but that's not my point in visiting. Mostly I'm just getting away for a much needed break, and it's only a 2 hour flight from Denver. Plus it's been a long time since I've explored a new city. Thanks again for the tips/help!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Hotel Room Photos : Ace Hotel Portland
This hotel has been recommended on this board before. It looks to be in a nice (for what you want) location.

Food cart stuff:
Food Carts Portland » downtown (http://foodcartsportland.com/tag/downtown/ - broken link)

I find this article hilarious. He's got Portland's "number." I didn't even know there was a Vacuum Cleaner Museum in town! Figures...Ace Hotel is critiqued (sorta) - they rent out bicycles if you are interested.
Frugal Portland - NYTimes.com

Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 AM

94 posts, read 224,407 times
The new Nines Hotel is the most luxurious hotel in town and they have very reasonable winter rates for a 5 star property (King room $159), so you should find something under $100 elsewhere very easily. I would try Hotel Lucia, Hotel Deluxe, Hotel Modera--all are boutique hotels so you will get more of a unique city feeling (as opposed to checking into a Hilton or Marriott). I would visit travelportland.org for a good overview of city neighborhoods and attractions. You can also pick up their publication at the airport when you arrive--it is very well done. You do not need a car--the city is very walkable and compact, and clean, safe streetcars and buses go everywhere else. I would go to either the Portland Japanese Garden in Washington Park or the Portland Chinese Garden during your visit--they are very worthwhile even in the rain.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 AM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
I know of someone who got a room at the Nines via Priceline for $75. We are looking to do something similar this December somewhere in downtown Portland. This time of year ain't peak tourist season, and with the economy hurting anyway, you should have lots of room to negotiate price.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
Users of these message boards post their winning bid (Priceline or Hotwire) for a given city and hotel. It gives you a good idea what hotels are charging in the area, and where you should start with your own bid.

BiddingForTravel.com - Message Board - Yuku
Priceline and Hotwire Forum

Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
I know of someone who got a room at the Nines via Priceline for $75. We are looking to do something similar this December somewhere in downtown Portland. This time of year ain't peak tourist season, and with the economy hurting anyway, you should have lots of room to negotiate price.
That's what someone suggested to me. I've never tried it, but I think I will.

Does anyone know if the 24 Hr. Fitness downtown is decent? Most are, but I'll probably hit the gym while there. And looking at the weather, temperatures seem to be what I'd expect, but does it rain about every day this time of year? I'll have to find my rain gear that doesn't get used much in Denver!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:56 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
There are two 24 hours downtown. The one in the Pearl is a bit better then the one right downtown.

Also, the Ace Hotel is winning lots of kudos from a lot of people.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks for all the help! I ended up getting a room at the Double Tree by the Lloyd Center for $53 a night through Priceline. Not exactly in the middle of downtown, but it looks like a decent area to me and near light rail. I'll try the 24 Hr. in the Pearl - it's also the closest to the hotel. Now I can start figuring out my schedule of things to see. Now just promise me it won't be raining the entire time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: