Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,408,041 times

Advertisements

When I moved here, I was depressed by rainy, cloudy weather. I spent my childhood in Rochester, NY, which statistically has as many rainy, cloudy days as Portland. I was glad when my family moved to Southern California, with its endless sunshine, and then to Atlanta, which gets plenty of sun. So why did I move to Portland? I came to the PNW on vacation, and the scenery was so overwhelmingly beautiful to me that I decided I could deal with the weather for two or three years, just for a chance to explore the area. (I had a portable job at the time.)

What several people told me when I moved here is was that I'd hate the first two winters, and then I'd either adjust or leave. It was true: the first two winters were rough, and I considered moving south to California. But the next few winters were tolerable, and I liked everything else about Portland, so I stayed. And then a funny thing happened: I reached the point where I now actually like the climate. I love the fog, the mist, the rain, and the occasional snowfalls. I have no idea why this happened. It doesn't happen to everyone.

It's an exaggeration to say that the sun doesn't appear for weeks at a time. We get sporadic sunny days during the winter, and days with what we call "sun breaks" alternated with cloud cover. Some winters are cloudier and rainier than others. A few years ago, we had a stretch of late winter/early spring weather that was so dry (and often sunny) that the weatherpeople said at the end of April that it would have to rain for almost all of May and June to make up the rain deficit and avoid a drought. And guess what? We had two months of almost daily rain. I admit that the weather got to me that spring. But then summer came, and all was forgiven.

So it's hard to predict. In my unscientific polls, a minority of people here truly like the rain and the gray. Most put up with the climate because they love other things about the PNW. A lot of people take a vacation to a sunny place like Hawaii in mid-winter to maintain their sanity. If you react to rain and gray like gigglediva, then by all means, stay away. If you have a moderate dislike of the weather, then it will come down to how much you like the rest of what Portland has offer. As others have said, it's a good idea to visit first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 AM

252 posts, read 954,892 times
I was born here but lived in Phoenix Arizona for fifteen years and now back here for over twenty.

Yes, it rains too much. Many that don't complain about the rain have never lived anywhere else to compare it too. I foolishly married a native who refuses to even consider moving or I'd be long gone back to the sun.

It rains, drips, mists, or is otherwise gray outside for weeks on end.

Yes, when the sun shines it is gloriously beautiful but move to California and visit here....

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM

666 posts, read 1,847,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
Yes, it rains too much. Many that don't complain about the rain have never lived anywhere else to compare it too. I foolishly married a native who refuses to even consider moving or I'd be long gone back to the sun.

Yes, when the sun shines it is gloriously beautiful but move to California and visit here....
And that would be your opinion. I lived in Southern California for three years and hated it. I'd talk to my friends back east and typically have conversations like:

"oh, is it spring? I didn't realize because everything is brown and dusty and pretty much the same temperature as usual."

"oh, is it winter? I didn't realize because everything is brown and dusty and pretty much the same temperature as usual."

How the heck does a car get covered in dirt when it is parked in your driveway for two weeks without moving? That would be due to the garbage in the air because you know what? It doesn't rain.

I have a 180 degree view of the situation. Live in a place that gets nothing but sun and really doesn't have seasons and then come back here.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM

252 posts, read 954,892 times
I thought the original poster asked for opinions? I gave mine and you can give yours. There was nothing said about only positive opinions of the weather wanted.....

I never noticed the rain as a kid but as an adult who gardens and rides horses it drives me crazy. Mud and rain are not enjoyable for either hobby.

I never missed "Seasons" when I lived in Phoenix. I'd move back tomorrow if I didn't have to get a divorce to do so....

Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 PM

666 posts, read 1,847,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
I thought the original poster asked for opinions? I gave mine and you can give yours. There was nothing said about only positive opinions of the weather wanted.....
Opinions yes, misinformation tempered by your opinion...no. You basically said if you lived in a sunny place you would realize how terrible the weather is here.

What people constantly fail to realize is that some people despise constant sunshine as much as you despise rain / clouds. The real answer is that you can't tell someone if it rains too much. Too much for you, yes. Too much for me, no.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 PM

569 posts, read 1,823,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Opinions yes, misinformation tempered by your opinion...no. You basically said if you lived in a sunny place you would realize how terrible the weather is here.

What people constantly fail to realize is that some people despise constant sunshine as much as you despise rain / clouds. The real answer is that you can't tell someone if it rains too much. Too much for you, yes. Too much for me, no.
It also depends on the climate from where the individual came from. Is someone from southern California going to have an issue with the rain? It's possible, maybe even likely. With someone from the midwest, like myself, find it to be an issue? So far I've been here for 2 months and it hasn't been an issue. I'll trade rain any day for brutal winters with snow and at times subzero temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland