Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,436 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are going to be in Portland for 1 day.

Where would be the best place to visit, and where will be a good place to have lunch?

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
What's your demographic: Couple of single dudes? Family of four? Young couple in love? Makes a difference...

Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Thomas Nelson:

It is hard to recommend for just a 1 day visit. I will presume you are young 20-somethings, have some cash, and are not interested in fantastic views with expensive, albeit very good, food...

Just FYI about Portland...
Downtown Portland, in just about every parking lot, people have set up modified RV Trailers to be food "carts" of a wide variety of food. A customer walks up to the window, buys the food, and eats it standing up on the sidewalk. By my count there are food carts offering 'fast' food from 9 separate countries, and I am not even trying to ID all the International flavors.
The following link is the best I know of for a visitor to get the feel of the Portland 'carts':
Food Carts Portland

You can rest assured, that if you are visitors over the age of 45, you will get a world class case of heart-burn from eating a sampling of Portland's food carts; 25 year olds, will not suffer as much IMHO, but YMMV.

And as you walk around visiting the Food Cart sites, you will notice an almost complete lack of desert and meal finish sweets in the food carts downtown. No hot apple pie turnovers, no warm fudge brownies, no rice-pudding in a cup with a heaping splot of cinnamon on top. In summer, you can find a few shaved ice vendors, but in cool rainy season forget it. We Portlanders are saving our calories for our local Independent beers, which are down right outstanding.

Don't forget to try Voodoo Doughnuts. Gourmet magazine Bon Appetit rated this place in top 10 in USA.
Bon appetit includes VooDoo Doughnut in top-10 list of best donut shops | OregonLive.com
and
Top 10 Best Places for Donuts: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com

Ahem, {cough, cough}, a low fat, low calorie diet, or even maybe a high blood sugar problem diet, and Voodoo Doughnuts are not exactly what one would call "compatible". I think I should add this for full disclosure reasons.

Please enjoy your visit. I hope some one will chime in with their favorite foodie cart... mine favorites all end with a rush to the extra large Tums tablets. And for one day, gosh, I don't think spending the next day in car with the windows rolled up would be such a good idea, gas and all that.

Phil

Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,436 times
Default Visiting Portland

My husband and I are in our 60's, so that being the case where could we visit for the day in Portland. I was thinking somplace that is pretty, where we could walk around. We also want to go and have a nice "sit down" type of lunch.

Any ideas much appreciated

Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
If I only had 1 day in Portland, I would have to go see the Japanese gardens again.
Portland Japanese Garden

Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Thomas Nelson View Post
My husband and I are in our 60's, so that being the case where could we visit for the day in Portland. I was thinking somplace that is pretty, where we could walk around. We also want to go and have a nice "sit down" type of lunch.

Any ideas much appreciated
Ideas for Food....
Start with these links:
Street Newspaper:
“Restaurant Guide 2009” | Willamette Week | October 21st, 2009
and a high glossy magazine:
Portland Monthly Magazine / Eat & Drink / Eat & Drink Articles / Detail

I suggest you seek the write ups on:
Laurelhurst Market out on E Burnside near SE 32nd street
Carnivore's Delight. 'nuff said.
-- (Aside: may be difficult to get to as major road work @ E Burnside and Sandy Blvd)

Southpark Restaurant:
A seafood restaurant at the corner of SW Salmon and SW 9th downtown. A bit on the more $$$ but a lot to say for PNW seafood.

And of course the Portland Grill....
(aside: Google: Big Pink, Portland OR )
Big Pink is Portland's tallest building located downtown. On the Green Light-rail Line (MAX). (In downtown, the MAX and streetcar are free in the 'Free-Rail' zone.) The Portland Grill is on the 30th floor, and has a breathtaking view, if and only if the weather is sunny or mostly clear sky. Pricey, and more of a coat and tie place for week-day lunch.

Everyone is different, and has their own choices---
For me, I like the following walking tour:
Red or Blue Max to SW 10th street, and go visit Finnegan's Toy store on SW Yamhill. Note: not recommended for Grandparents on a budget!!!
I'm serious, keep a tight fist on your credit cards!!!

Then walk north to Rich's Cigars and Magazines @ SW 9th and SW Alder. Just plain the most aromatic wonderful tobacco store I know of. Don't forget the large selection of Magazines. Ask for magazine Glimmer Train, Portland's own high end literary review with short stories and author profiles. Very impressive quality of writing and editing. Rich's has about 15 to 20 literary review magazines, plus so many other magazines. Maybe 15 magazines for the gourmet cook and restaurant connoisseur.

Walk North to Corner of SW Stark and SW 11th to a East Coast style Deli Restaurant Kenny and Zukes Delicatessen. Don't have high hopes of actually finding a table, as the lunch waiting line is usually still there until 2:00pm or so.

Oh, ACE hotel is just down the street on SW Stark toward 10th which is a great downtown hotel if you are non-conformist, and they have a great Coffee shop Stumptown Coffee just off the lobby. Ace hotel is known for it's unique wall paint motif so each room is individualized.

Anyway then continue walking North on 11th street past Seafood Grotto Restaurant (don't forget to check out the review in Fish Grotto & Seafood Rstrnt User Reviews - Portland, OR 97205 - Citysearch)

Then on past W Burnside to Powell's book store. Seriously, a 3 story entire block building just for a retail book store. More books than many public libraries. New, used and Rare. (Books to seek out: Author Stieg Larsson, from Sweden, his 1st book "Girl with the Golden Tattoo" is a great mystery-thriller genre where one of the protagonist is a young woman with several tattoos. Independent movie to out soon. Author died after publishing 3rd book in series.)

When you exit Powell's book store, you are at the southern end of the Pearl District of Portland. There are a few walking tours of the Pearl, the best are of the art galleries, and cultural stops, however, I recommend you catch a free ride on the Street car and ride it back south to catch a Red or Blue MAX line heading west.

Exit the Max line at the underground stop at the Zoo exit, and ride the 3 floor elevator to the top of the hill.

Walk from the Elevators over to to Washington Park and on over to the Hoyt Arboretum. This is a bit of a walk, so be prepared. Restrooms are kind of scarce.

Well that is my suggestions, feel free to plan your own excursions, and don't forget the wonderful Japanese Gardens which most tourist visit.

Phil

PS: When you are downtown, please keep in mind this is a normal working city, there will be some homeless and panhandlers all over downtown Portland. They are harmless, they just want money and a place to sleep. Your choice if you want to give money to them. Feel free to ignore them, I recommend you not make eye contact.

Last edited by philwithbeard; 04-08-2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: add PS.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:39 AM

127 posts, read 306,720 times
Food:
Home Page
Hubers Café - Portlands Oldest Restaurant in Portland, OR
http://www.portlandcitygrill.com/page/home
Grand Central - Portland's ultimate Restaurant and Bowling Lounge
Escape From New York Pizza - Portland, OR, 97210 - Citysearch

Falls:
Multnomah Falls is a Must | Oregon
If no time for a road trip to the waterfalls, then
Portland Japanese Garden
Rocky Butte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Willamete Falls flood aerial.jpeg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Home | OMSI
all located in or near Portland.

Fun:
I mean, have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland