Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times

Advertisements

I had 2 C-sections. They tried inducing me for both, before I had the C-sections, but they were just too big! My oldest was 10 pound and 12 ounces, and my youngest was 9 pounds and 6 ounces. The C sections were just fine. Sure, you're in a little more hurt afterwards for longer than a normal birth, but nothing was wrong with my children. They turned out beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:08 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
Getting prepared for possible C-section is a good idea. You never want to be stuck in an emergency situation without a second option. I'd get mentally prepared for it, but of course you can try natural delivery first. Everyone is thinking of your baby's safety first and foremost, which is great.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
That is why they have ceseareans. My Mother had a ten pounder, me..she did it naturally, at age 16. My biggest was 8 lb. 8 oz. No big deal.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojeda25 View Post
Im currently 40 weeks pregnant and my dr is estimating the baby's weight to be 9 lbs 14 ounces...He is inducing me in 2 days and he wanted to jump right into a c section. When i told him I wanted to try vaginally he said he would give me 12-14 hours and if things didnt progress he would then do the c section...Im worried...Is a 10 lbs baby normal??? Do women deliver babies this big vaginally??? Im scared he wont be able to come out....like he might get stuck or something...

Also, my baby is in the head down position but still has not dropped.

I was 10 pounds when I was born.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM

54 posts, read 111,328 times
A 10lb baby doesnt hurt more than a 6lb one- 99% of the pain of labor comes from the muscles contracting. The vaginal pain is from the perinium stretching (ring of fire) and to be honest, once its stretched to a certain point, any additional stretching isnt going to be noticed.

THis can be minimized by massaging the perinium and by breathing baby out slowly rather than pushing as hard as you can when the head is presenting.
LIke the nurse on here posted, a heavy baby doesnt automaticly mean a big head or even a real big baby and the scans done during late pregnancy are very often wrong on measuring size.

Aside from true pelvic disproportion, honest emergency like maternal or fetal distress, Id push to avoid a c-section if at all possible. It really is a major surgery.

Going to 41 or 42 weeks pregnant is NOT statisticly more dangerous!
A baby who hasnt 'dropped' in a first time mom (barring a physical reason) is a baby who isnt ready imho.
If you are set on delivering by the timeline set by the drs, Id try to get labor going myself before all else. (deep squats, lots of orgasms, nipple stimulation, lots of walking)

I have found that one intervention (almost) always leads to another. Pitocin induction leads to unnatural birthing waves which leads to unnatural and unmanagable pain and occasionally a distressed baby.
Severe pain leads to tension usually (leading to the body lock up, going into fight-or-flight mode) which adds more to the pain, leading to an epidural.

THe epidural can be a huge relief no doubt, but can also lead to a severe drop in moms blood pressure (leading to more intervention), stalled labor progression (leading to more pitocin) and fetal distress (leading to-yup, a c-section)

At this point in my life, expecting my 8th baby in about 5 or 6 weeks, Im all done blindly following medical advice without getting additional info.
I've had great hospital births as well as terrible ones, so Im not anti-hospital at all.
Im just anti 'birthing woman as a medical situation rather than a natural process to be embraced'. Sounds pretty new-age, but Ive found that really educating myself from all angles and learning to trust my body has lead to a new confidence and fearlessness.
This baby will be born at home when s/he is ready, with the assistance of a midwife.
We'll tackle any obsticles (tension, baby not engaging, etc) in a natural way as long as indicated- a hospital a quick drive away in case of a real honest emergency.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
This thread was started last July. I am sure she has had the baby by now. Hopefully she has just been too busy to get back to the thread.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 PM

54 posts, read 111,328 times
Lol I hadnt even noticed the date!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,776 times
I really hope u did have a c-section!!! I also had a 10lbs baby in a "normal" delivery and my normal life ended right there... I hated my husband for months for wanting a "normal" delivery, then I hated the doctors for not knowing that my sweet baby was big and not performing a c-section! My baby almost died and I even till this day I can't laugh or sneeze or I'll pee in my pants! And the intercourse is not that great anymore, I am so lucky my husband loves me otherwise he would go after another woman to satisfy him.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojeda25 View Post
Im currently 40 weeks pregnant and my dr is estimating the baby's weight to be 9 lbs 14 ounces...He is inducing me in 2 days and he wanted to jump right into a c section. When i told him I wanted to try vaginally he said he would give me 12-14 hours and if things didnt progress he would then do the c section...Im worried...Is a 10 lbs baby normal??? Do women deliver babies this big vaginally??? Im scared he wont be able to come out....like he might get stuck or something...

Also, my baby is in the head down position but still has not dropped.
My husbands wife (MIL) delivered both her babies 9 1/2 and 10 lbs at age 18 and then 19 vaginally, no medication. The first of which she had at 43 weeks , which they don't allow anymore. It can be done and is done every day. Doctors want to rush you with your labor, its a natural thing and it can be a long drawn out event. Do not let them rush you or your baby into anything. If you are both healthy and safe and everyone seems to be doing fine IMO progress as you naturally would and insist they follow your instructions. Write down your birth plan and tell them they are to follow it unless an emergency situation arises. Just because he wants that baby out so he can get home for dinner doesn't mean that's whats right for you or baby

Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hana2013 View Post
I really hope u did have a c-section!!! I also had a 10lbs baby in a "normal" delivery and my normal life ended right there... I hated my husband for months for wanting a "normal" delivery, then I hated the doctors for not knowing that my sweet baby was big and not performing a c-section! My baby almost died and I even till this day I can't laugh or sneeze or I'll pee in my pants! And the intercourse is not that great anymore, I am so lucky my husband loves me otherwise he would go after another woman to satisfy him.
I had a 5 lb (barely) baby naturally and cannot laugh or sneeze without peeing myself. Every single time. Its become a joke almost between myself and my husband , every time I sneeze we kind of look at each other like yep pee'd myself. Kegels work wonders though and I've noticed a difference. Try em out. Loss of bladder control is very common among women who have vaginal births with babies of any size
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy