Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 AM

149 posts, read 831,451 times

Advertisements

I know it depends. I am just wondering for most women, how long it will take for postpartum recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,593,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I know it depends. I am just wondering for most women, how long it will take for postpartum recovery.

I was on my feet and feeling fine, able to work (although avoiding heavy lifting) by 3-4 days post-partum.
And really, I didn't feel totally knackered even the day after... my body felt fine (I could finally breathe again!), but my mental state felt a little weird.
I didn't sleep for the first 24 hours post-partum after either of my deliveries, so everything felt a little surreal until I actually got some sleep.
But like I said, I was energized and ready to tackle the world at 3-4 days post.

Of course, I was a teenager at the time; I've heard it takes longer to bounce back when you're older, and I don't doubt this is the case, judging from how much harder it is for me to do anything these days than it was 20 years ago.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Oh RECOVERY....I thought you said vacation!? Trust me, no woman is on VACATION after giving birth. Recovery, OTOH depends on the woman, the birth etc etc etc. Everyone is different.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Most maternity leaves are 4-6 weeks long. I had c-sections and felt fine after a week or so, however, the lack of sleep was more of an issue then physical recovery. I stayed home with the kids once our oldest was born but I remember hitting the 6 week mark thinking there was no way I could go back to work right now--ok, if I HAD to I would have.

I would plan on at LEAST a month, more so for getting the baby to sleep longer at night then anything.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,476,826 times
I physically suffered for 30 days. Then serious fatigue set in for another 2 months. After that I started to feel better overall.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,863,317 times
Typical recovery for C-sections (which I had twice) is about six weeks, but some people bounce back earlier. The first three months are pretty brutal (getting settled and getting past the colicky phase that some babies have), but it starts to get better after that.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM

546 posts, read 1,679,708 times
It is extremely varied, and therefore difficult to answer your question. I was up and running an hour after birth, with only the occasional bad uterine contractions making me pause for a 12 hour stretch. By the following day, despite being a little achy I was fine. By day 3 I was completely back to my old self again minus the whole baby sleep schedule. Others can take weeks or even months depending on their situation.

Maternity leave in companies vary widely. I believe in the US, you are liable for 12 weeks of unpaid leave and still keeping job security.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:55 PM

275 posts, read 708,194 times
After my oldest son was born I took a month off. I was OFFERED more than that, but didn't take it. My body and my mind were so out of whack right after delivery, all I could think of was healing and SLEEP. :P This time, I am on bed rest and at home, so I am anxious to get back to work, but I'm going to probably wait until he is at least 12 weeks old so I can secure daycare.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:11 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,947,046 times
It was different with each of my babies. Physical and emotional/mental recoveries are different, too. My first pregnancy was high-risk so I was on bed rest for most of it. I ended up with an emergency C-section. I think it took me about 6 weeks to physically recover from the C-section. I also suffered from postpartum depression so I wasn't able to go back to work until he was about 3 months old.

Second child wasn't a c-section, but a big baby and tough, tough birth. Mentally, I felt great. He was a good sleeper so I probably could've gone back to work a few weeks after I had him. Physically, though, it took me a good 6 weeks to recover from that one.

Third baby was small and extremely easy to deliver. I can remember getting dressed in my street clothes within hours of having him and thinking I couldn't wait to take him home.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:24 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,124 times
Default It depends on your body and the delivery

I've had two c-sections. With #1 I went back to work (part-time) after eight weeks. The baby was just starting to sleep through the night at that point which made it easier.

With #2 I decided to be a SAHM b/c my dh had just gotten a job in another state. I felt well enough to pack up the house and make the move when she was about four months old. I was pretty tired and overwhelmed prior to that.

Now, I'm expected #3 and I'm not sure when/if I'll go back. I have no paid time off and my company doesn't have a maternity leave policy. Infant daycare is expensive and hard to find around here. I'll definately take a month off. Then, I'll see if my boss will let me work a partime, flexible schedule after that so I don't have to worry about childcare.

I wouldn't rush it. Take whatever time is offered to you and take care of yourself and your little one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy