Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,594,336 times

Advertisements

Wow. Lotsa c-sections here.
Exactly how common are they?
I don't think I know anyone who's had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
At least 5 years, unless you plan to have your baby raised by daycare.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,350,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I know it depends. I am just wondering for most women, how long it will take for postpartum recovery.
LOL!! 18-20 years, depending on how many kids you have!!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

263 posts, read 745,759 times
it depends. my first baby i had at 28 weighed 5#, took 5 hours labor, and i was not quite right for a month. ached all over and horrible afterbirth pains for quite awhile. my second baby at 29 weighed nearly 10#, same 5 hours labor, and i could have leapt up from the bed and danced all night. go figure.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I know it depends. I am just wondering for most women, how long it will take for postpartum recovery.
I wouldn't call it "vacation." Do you mean physical recovery? 6 or 8 weeks depending on vaginal delivery or c-section. Emotional recovery? There isn't enough time! Take off as much time as you can, depending on your child care situation. I took off about 4 -5 months with both of mine, then had some family help for a few weeks. They both started day care around 5.5-6 months. I know moms who have taken as little as 6 weeks and as much as a whole year.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,594,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
At least 5 years, unless you plan to have your baby raised by daycare.

This seems unnecessarily judgmental.
Some of us work, here.
Some of us like to work; some of us don't have a choice.
The notion that one must choose between being a mother or working is a false and detrimental one. Nobody tries to place any such guilt trip on men.
I think it's great for kids to see their moms busting ass in the corporate world (or whatever world, as long as it doesn't involve sitting around the house all day watching "As The World Turns").
I also think early childhood education (by a licensed, certified teacher) gives kids a real boost when they start kindergarten and elementary, and that the social skills they gain in a quality early childhood program are invaluable.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Wow. Lotsa c-sections here.
Exactly how common are they?
I don't think I know anyone who's had one.
I'm not sure, but both of mine were c-sections. My doctor, and many others, will not do a vaginal birth after a c-section. I think that is relatively new, and is one reason why there are so many c-sections these days.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:49 PM

149 posts, read 831,631 times
Do pregnant women who excise regularly get less chance of c-sections? Is that related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm not sure, but both of mine were c-sections. My doctor, and many others, will not do a vaginal birth after a c-section. I think that is relatively new, and is one reason why there are so many c-sections these days.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM

149 posts, read 831,631 times
No, I mean if you work, how much vacation will you plan to take for postpartum recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Oh RECOVERY....I thought you said vacation!? Trust me, no woman is on VACATION after giving birth. Recovery, OTOH depends on the woman, the birth etc etc etc. Everyone is different.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:07 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,921,690 times
My first was a looong labor and delivery (31 hours). It was two weeks before I could move normally (I had pulled a muscle) and not be totally exhausted. I would say my body needed a full four weeks for my first.

My second was a much quicker labor (about six hours), most of which I spent in the tub. I also spent four days in the hospital (two days longer than most hospital stays) because my son needed extra care (and I was nursing). I think that helped a lot. Anyhow, I went for a six mile moutain hike about three weeks later and felt great, so I think my body only needed two weeks or so.

Since it is your first, I would take as much time as you possible can. That way you can be prepared in case you need more time than *normal*, and have more time to enjoy your baby before the craziness of work combined with motherhood begins! I didn't need much time off for sickness in my son's first year, but he wasn't in daycare either. I would think about how much time you will need off for other needs, such as doctor appointments and baby's sicknesses (and your own) and family visits, etc., and subtract that from how much vacation time you currently have accrued. Take that remaining vacation time for your maternity leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy