Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 34,342 times

Advertisements

Im currently 40 weeks pregnant and my dr is estimating the baby's weight to be 9 lbs 14 ounces...He is inducing me in 2 days and he wanted to jump right into a c section. When i told him I wanted to try vaginally he said he would give me 12-14 hours and if things didnt progress he would then do the c section...Im worried...Is a 10 lbs baby normal??? Do women deliver babies this big vaginally??? Im scared he wont be able to come out....like he might get stuck or something...

Also, my baby is in the head down position but still has not dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
My mother was delivered naturally and she was just over 10 pounds. That was a long time ago before c sections became popular.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Kind of depends on your body as to whether or not it will come out.

My son weighed close to 9 pounds. When it came down to the pushing part, I pushed for 2 hours. There was no way he was coming out of me (I'm tiny anyway) and was so exhausted I welcomed a c-section. He had one big head.

You might have the hips that just pop that baby out! I know saying not to worry won't help, but really, I wouldn't worry about it. That baby won't be stuck in there forever

Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
My son was WAY over 10lbs. Close to 12lbs, but I can't remember the exact weight.

He went into fetal distress during labor and I had an emergency c-section.

Not sure why you're avoiding it. I wasn't trying to avoid a c-section. It all happpened so quickly because fetal distress just happened before I dialated.

If you're small boned with a small pelvis like me, you very well might have to deliver via c-section.

The fact you are induced could also determine your need for a c-section. I never dialated.

And if the doctor broke your water, you can only leave the baby in there for a certain amount of time without the fluids and a c-section will be NECESSARY.

If I were you, I'd rather not push my baby into fetal distress. Follow your doctor's advice. C-sections aren't aweful.

My sisters son got stuck in the birth canal and then she needed a c-section and she had both types of recovery issues from incision and being swollen 'down there.'

But she did just fine. There's nothing to be afraid about. Either way, vaginally or c-section, your baby will come out.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM

9 posts, read 34,342 times
I'm just so worried...I keep hearing/ reading absolute horror stories about c sections...I never even thought about fetal distress...

Thank you...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Either you will be able to deliver the baby or you won't. If you can, it will be no different delivering a
10 lb baby, or a 6 lb baby. Women have big babies every day. But when your doctor says it's time to have a C section, then he means it. Maybe you need to discuss it further with him? Does he already know your body will not be able to deliver naturally, or is he just wanting to make his tee time that day?
Good luck. Let us know how you did.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojeda25 View Post
Im currently 40 weeks pregnant and my dr is estimating the baby's weight to be 9 lbs 14 ounces...He is inducing me in 2 days and he wanted to jump right into a c section. When i told him I wanted to try vaginally he said he would give me 12-14 hours and if things didnt progress he would then do the c section...Im worried...Is a 10 lbs baby normal??? Do women deliver babies this big vaginally??? Im scared he wont be able to come out....like he might get stuck or something...

Also, my baby is in the head down position but still has not dropped.
My family has tall women who tend to be broad through the hip. I was the smallest baby of my generation at 9lb. 4oz. One of my aunts delivered a 9lb. 8oz. girl, a 10lb. boy and an 11lb. boy the old fashioned way. Nothing weird about big babies.

Once you get to 40 weeks the baby can gain a lb. per week and the likely hood that he/she will aspirate meconium increases daily. It's smart to induce soon and it's a safe play to go to the c-section if the labor doesn't progress quickly. Doesn't sound like the doctor is being unreasonable.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times
My son was 8lbs 4oz at birth. I had a c-section, unplanned, but not emergency. I am very petite, coupled with narrow hips - there was no chance he would fit out, though they let me dilate to a 4.

Guess what - I had an easier time getting up and walking around the hospital than the vaginal delivery girls who were all crying about being unable to sit, lol. I had a fantastic recovery, and delivery. No problems bonding or breastfeeding, either. You can barely see my scar, and it's been four months.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojeda25 View Post
I'm just so worried...I keep hearing/ reading absolute horror stories about c sections...I never even thought about fetal distress...

Thank you...
I honestly can say that I'm glad I inadvertently avoided a vaginal delivery---for multiple reasons that I won't go into here.

Recovering from surgery isn't terrible. I've had quite a few abdominal surgeries.

I recovered the fastest with the c-section because babies make you move around.

Laying in bed makes for a slower recovery from abdominal surgery.

I'm sure you and your baby will be fine however it is delivered.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Guess what - I had an easier time getting up and walking around the hospital than the vaginal delivery girls who were all crying about being unable to sit, lol.
That's one of the reasons I'm glad I didn't have a vaginal delivery. (That and not being stretched out.)

My recovery was very fast. I was driving a week later (even though I wasn't supposed to be driving).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy