Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,490 times

Advertisements

Opinion: There Is No Such Thing As Birth Rape - ParentDish

Quote:
A post titled "A Discussion About Birth Rape and Its Results" on the "BINSI Blog" reads: "Some believe people use the term 'birth rape' to sensationalize their trauma and feel it is disrespectful to actual rape victims. The pain these women feel is just as real, and they are just as much victims as anyone else. One dictionary definition of the word rape is 'to violate or abuse.' State laws about rape usually consider any forceful penetration of the vagina or rectum to be rape. Ladies suffering from birth trauma display some of the classic symptoms of rape victims, including silence and shame about their ordeal."

I'm sorry, but babies come out of your vagina. Sometimes, the doctor has to take a peek.
Quote:
Yes, it's controversial, and yes, maybe it draws attention to a certain subset of women whose birthing experiences were, indeed, traumatic. There's no question that losing control of your body is scary, and there's also no question that it happens frequently when women give birth. Preparing to do the mental and physical work of birth is daunting, to say the least, and when things go awry in the birthing room -- even just a little bit -- it can feel like a complete loss of autonomy.
Is this for real? Must be a result of the "It's all about me" mentality. Did you all feel raped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 AM

894 posts, read 1,127,711 times
Oh brother. It's not even remotely the same.

I had an illegal alien put a gun to the back of my head, c-ock the trigger and tell me to do exactly as he says or he'd blow my brains out. I was violently raped.

How does that even compare? It doesn't.

Some women just want to play victim and use anything to validate their reasoning. I didn't give in to that victim mindset at all. I fought back, and took my life back for myself. There's no way in hell I'm going to spend the rest of my life in fear over what one idiot did.

I'm blind, so many people think I should automatically have some type of "fears" ... but I don't. I guess it all boils down to what you're made of, mentally.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post

I had an illegal alien put a gun to the back of my head, c-ock the trigger and tell me to do exactly as he says or he'd blow my brains out. I was violently raped.

Some women just want to play victim and use anything to validate their reasoning. I didn't give in to that victim mindset at all. I fought back, and took my life back for myself. There's no way in hell I'm going to spend the rest of my life in fear over what one idiot did.

I'm blind, so many people think I should automatically have some type of "fears" ... but I don't. I guess it all boils down to what you're made of, mentally.
It's impossible not to have respect for your courage.

Women cannot equate the pain of childbirth to rape. We know what we are getting ourselves into when we get pregnant. It's ridiculous for anyone to think that childbirth doesn't include a doctor and staff and a whole lot of pain.

Childbirth is nothing like rape.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,581,681 times
No words for the silliness of this!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM

821 posts, read 2,039,030 times
I'm a pretty conservative person so when I was having my first child my husband asked me does it make me feel uncomfortable having about a 100 people run in and out of the birthing room constantly checking how much I've dialated. I told him what in the world would make me uncomfortable they are here to do a job and that job is to make sure to the best of thier abilities that me and my child make it through this safely I could care less if the whole entire medicial staff came in to take a peek. LOL

Outside of a medical situation only for my husbands eyes

Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post

*hugs*

Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,751,126 times
geek I'm not trying to belittle your feelings in this, what happened to you was despicable and you are very courageous to speak out.

However - I've heard some pretty gruesome birth stories, with doctors putting whole hands inside women, and instruments, under circumstances that were already very traumatic, often times with the mother being made to feel like she has no choice other than to allow it to happen or they and their baby will die. These were not uncomplicated everyday birth situations, these are emergency, complicated and often life threatening situations.

I don't know if rape is the best word to use for these incidences, but then again, I'd have hoped that someone who has been raped would have more understanding and compassion for someone who feels they were violated so horrifically that they use that word to describe it instead of dismissing their feelings as petty and ridiculous.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I don't know if rape is the best word to use for these incidences, but then again, I'd have hoped that someone who has been raped would have more understanding and compassion for someone who feels they were violated so horrifically that they use that word to describe it instead of dismissing their feelings as petty and ridiculous.
Sorry, but if a woman is so ignorant to the birthing process, perhaps she shouldn't get pregnant.

There is nothing 'horrifically violent' about having a baby. When the time comes, you do what has to be done to get the baby out, or don't put one in there to begin with.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Sorry, but if a woman is so ignorant to the birthing process, perhaps she shouldn't get pregnant.

There is nothing 'horrifically violent' about having a baby. When the time comes, you do what has to be done to get the baby out, or don't put one in there to begin with.

No kidding there...sheesh....i loved giving birth.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,920 times
I don't like the term, "birth rape" because I do believe that it diminishes the severity of the actual act of rape which is much different from having a less then ideal birth.

I do think that many doctors, CNM's and hospitals do things that are not in the best interest of laboring women due to hospital policies and procedures, liability, ignorance and convenience. I understand that intervention necessary in the case of actual emergencies but many times the intervention itself is what leads to emergency situations.

I don't agree with inducing women just because they've gone past their due date or because they *think* the baby *might* be too big without telling women that an induction will increase their chance of having a cesarean section by 50%. I don't agree with breaking a women's water as a part of an induction in most cases because if the induction fails then they will have to do a cesarean after a certain time frame due to the increased risk of infection from breaking the water. I don't agree with routine vaginal exams during labor because all they do is increase the risk of infection. I also think that they should inform patients during their prenatal care of the risks that an epidural pose. Some doctors do this others do not. I think that scheduled C-sections are a bad idea unless they are due to a real medical problem. Really it comes down to education, informed consent, and saving interventions for actual emergencies.

The cesarean rate in the US in 2007 was 31.8%. In 1965 it was 4.5%. The WHO's reccomendation for optimal cesarean rates is between 5-10%. The maternal death rate int he US is worse then 40 other countries. The United States has the second worst newborn mortality rate in the developed world. Clearly there are things that we could do to improve prenatal care and how women are treated during labor and birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy