Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:37 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,751,635 times

Advertisements

Yes I didn't see that doc again, especially since I had a c-section - imagine what he could have forgotten or missed there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 02:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,394,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Well, I'm grateful to be seeing one! My OB has been all kinds of frazzled and disorganized from day 1. She saw me through my last miscarriage and was the one that initiated all of the testing afterwards to determine the causes of our recurrent miscarriages.

At my first OB visit, she looked at me and said, "hmmm 3 miscarriages. Did they ever find out why?" I said, "I don't know, you ran the tests."

2 visits ago at my ultrasound, the tech diagnosed the baby with an echogenic bowel and told me it was a soft marker for CF. My nuchal was normal; so apparently she's an expert. So when I saw my OB about it, she said that it was nothing and not to worry. So the very next visit she said, "why haven't you seen the genetic counselor? why havent' you seen the MFM?" I said, "you never referred me and told me it was nothing to worry about." Then she says, "what was your nuchal result? I can't find it." Then she says, "oh crap. You're 35. Wait. 37. I have to refer you to an MFM."

I was like, really? Really, woman? I'm 25 weeks along and NOW you're concerned about the baby's markers? She JUST realized I'm 37? I've been seeing her for almost a YEAR.

So now we're going to see the MFM, or perinatologist in the Houston Med Center. I think we'll be in good hands. According the them, this is a high risk pregnancy; my OB just didn't think so.
My OB left it up to me to decide whether I wanted to transfer all my care (vs. just a referral) to a perinatologist or not. My OB saw me through a traumatic miscarriage and I genuinely really like her. But at 35 and carrying twins, I feel like I will be in better hands with a perinatologist. If you have any doubts about your OB, do not hesitate to transfer your care to another OB or to the perinatologist you have been referred to for the rest of your pregnancy. It is so important to have full trust in the physician that holds your health and your baby's health in their hands.

Best wishes to you for a happy, healthy pregnancy!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 834 times
I was referred to one when I was pregnant in 2008. I went and yes, all they talked to me about is the possibilities due to my age since I would turn 35 3 weeks before he was born.

After he was born 8-19-08 I asked the dr and nurses why is his head shaped odd? He was born via re peat c-section that was my 3rd c-section and the one prior had a perfect round head. My first was a emergency c-section since he was 11lbs 11 oz. Anyway, they told not to worry about it so I didn't. They had to do a cranial ultrasound after birth because an enlarge left temporal lobe prior to birth, they told me nothing to worry about again.

When he was 3 mos old and still not hold his own head up I thought something was wrong so I consulted with his paediatrician and oddly enough she said "nothing to worry about" my son didn't hold his own head up till he was 5 mos old. Didn't sit till 8 mos old crawl 10 mos old walk 17 mos old. When he was 11 mos old I took him to Washington D.C. To the Children's Hospital the dr ordered a doc band to correct his skull shape dx'd plagiocephaly, brachycephaly, & torticollis. So at 13 mos finally received the doc band and sure it was reshaping but at 18 mos old was released and 2 mos later head went back to the way it was. So I took him to the Texas Children's Hospital in Houston April 2011 due to his global delayment he was dx'd with low muscle tone severe speech occupational and needs physical therapy and now wears braces on his legs to his gait. He is 2 yrs old but the size of a 5 year old. He is being tested for Fragile X, and a bunch of other chromosomal syndromes and a bone age test. He fits in all the characteristics for fragile X. Took me almost 3 yrs to get somewhere to find out what's wrong with him so I will know the results 5-20-11.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,544,099 times
I realize this is an old post, but I've seen a genetic counselor twice. Once when I was pregnant with DS because my brother has 18q- syndrome (a short 18th chromosome). I was told that since his is a deletion and not a translocation, it is not hereditary. A chromosome study was done on me to make sure I am not a carrier of any chromosome abnormalities and I came back clear. I was referred to a genetic counselor a second time when I was pregnant with DD, because I had 4 miscarrieages between DS and DD and one of them came back as having triploidy after genetic testing from my D&C. I was told that time that the triploidy and the 18q- syndrome my brother has are both random chromosomal abnormalities and are not hereditary. Luckily my 2 children are perfectly healthy with no abnormalities. I guess both my brother's abnormality and the triploidy are bad luck?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:12 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,314,413 times
I was referred to a genetic counselor only because I have twin gestation but in the end it was much ado about nothing... with an unexciting family history and low risk ethnicity I think it was just for reassurance. I chose to be screened for SMA and Fragile X just for completion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy