Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,826,409 times

Advertisements

I see no point in this. Schools teach kids to deceive but aren't teaching them math and science. No wonder we're fast slipping compared with the students in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM

834 posts, read 2,688,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I see no point in this. Schools teach kids to deceive but aren't teaching them math and science. No wonder we're fast slipping compared with the students in other countries.
What does this comment have to do with the conversation? The article doesn't specify the academics of this 17 year old. What do you know...she may be a braniac and have a 4.0 GPA. She probably has high grades, high intelligence to undertake this type of social project.

If anyone has been to Yakima, WA...you can probably imagine that this is the most interesting piece of news around town. It's a nice lovely town.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,531,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
What does this comment have to do with the conversation? The article doesn't specify the academics of this 17 year old. What do you know...she may be a braniac and have a 4.0 GPA. She probably has high grades, high intelligence to undertake this type of social project.

If anyone has been to Yakima, WA...you can probably imagine that this is the most interesting piece of news around town. It's a nice lovely town.
Actually is says "For the past 6 1/2 months, the Yakima, Wash., A-student faked that she was pregnant."

With that, I would support my daughter, and I do have a daughter even though she is only 9, but I would have told the boyfriends parents. I really see no reason that they should not have been told, I feel for them.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,745,213 times
No, I really couldn't do it. From the time my children started talking, I instilled into them the importance of telling the truth. No matter how uncomfortable things got, no matter how hard it was at times for them to tell ME the truth and for me to tell THEM the truth about things, we still did it. Honestly, I would never have had to disapprove of something like this, because my children would never have taken on a project like this...it would have gone against everything they believed in. Well, okay, maybe my firstborn...the one who rebelled as a teenager, he might have been able to do it, LOL...but none of the others ones could ever have done it....WOULD ever have done it. :-)

Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,505,757 times
Lying for a project? That's everyone's beef with this?

So when you took an egg home and pretended it was a baby for a project, you really thought it was a baby?

The project was out there, but 'morally reprehensible'? What a stretch.

The only thing I object to is his parents not knowing. That was cruel, as it affects their lives very directly and in an extremely stressful manner.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,826,409 times
So what else is good to fake? Maybe the next project she could fake she has cancer. Or fake that her parents abuse her. Or learn to fool people in other creative ways.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,373,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Well, it's not a social experiment if everyone is in on it. Everyone freaking about it afterwards is even more interesting social information for them to add to their report.
Exactly my thoughts. Exactly.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Proof that this ridiculous statement is true in any way, shape or form?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
So what else is good to fake? Maybe the next project she could fake she has cancer. Or fake that her parents abuse her. Or learn to fool people in other creative ways.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,208,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Well, it's not a social experiment if everyone is in on it. Everyone freaking about it afterwards is even more interesting social information for them to add to their report.
I'll grant you that one. OTOH, legitimate social experiments are undertaken by people who are familiar with the proper procedures and ethical constraints.
If I'm still required to fill out your FAFSA papers and buy your Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch, I get to demand a certain amount of consideration-- like not being part of an interesting social experiment without my permission.
Seriously, the breach of trust would be huge for me. I don't think some hare-brained high school project is worth it.

ETA-- even if I were the kid's aunt, neighbor, or casual subway acquaintance I'd be cranky about being lied to about something of that magnitude. But I'd get over it a lot faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy