Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM

358 posts, read 1,918,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
in the US, the average age for the onset of puberty has been going down and that's often attributed to cultural factors like how our food produced (hormones in meat, dairy), average BMI, all sorts of theories are out there.
Wow I didn't know that actually! I'm wrong then, especially reading stuff like this:

Quote:
Some of the aspects of family structure and function reported to be independently associated with earlier menarche:

* The increased incidence of childhood obesity (reaching a body weight of 100 lbs or 45 kg appears to be an important "trigger" for the very young reaching menarche--both estrogen and progesterone are fat-soluble hormones).
* Absence of father from the home from early childhood
* High conflict family relationships
and

Quote:
Some of the aspects of family structure and function reported to be independently associated with later menarche:

* Larger family size
* Warmer, closer or more positive relationship with biological father
* Warmer, more supportive, low stress family environment
from Menarche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So it certainly doesn't sound as simple as "better fed, healthier, faster growing children" being the cause. Seems like current cultures/environments are going against the intentions of nature in that aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM

134 posts, read 371,170 times
Very sad to hear about. I knew a girl 2 doors down in my dorm who found out her sister was really her mom. Apparently the girls mother gave birth to her at just 11, the result of a relationship with a 17 year old and her grandmother chose to not tell the girl until wshe was old enough to understand. The amazing thing about it all was that she said she had had a feeling about it all her life.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,142,073 times
In Charleston several years ago, there was an article debating whether to teach sex ed in elementary school or not. That year, they reportedly had THREE pregnant ten year olds. (no idea if they resulted in births or not)

Old 12-13-2007, 07:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,500,865 times
My daughter is 10 and we have been discussing the fact that she may start her period soon with her doctor, she has already had some spotting. Its strange position to be in, here one day we are talking to her doctor about this then the next she has a friend over and Barbie central has exploded in her room, they sat up all night playing Barbies.

She has even had to start wearing bras now. Whats funny is she is young enough to find it funny when I put one of her bras on the cat.

I have read that children are starting their periods younger and younger, I was 13, my birth Mother didn't start until she was 16. I have read it could have something to do with the hormones in our food but of course the FDA doesn't want to admit anything that would hurt the money the big companies are bringing in.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,759,352 times
[quote=cdc3217;2209501]Well, IMO, just because we're biologically able to procreate at age 12, that doesn't mean it is what "nature" intends. Our biology includes being social, and socialized, and that's where my argument comes in. Also, our culture changes our biology -- in the US, the average age for the onset of puberty has been going down and that's often attributed to cultural factors like how our food produced (hormones in meat, dairy), average BMI, all sorts of theories are out there.

Really relevant link to this topic.

http://www.slate.com/id/2179998/fr/rss/ (broken link)

Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,772,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
I'm confused. Why is this such a bad thing? "Ohh no, she had a child! How terrible!"
Strange world we're living in when having a child naturally is seen as such a terrible thing.
I guess this will hurt her prospects for making a lot of money in the future! And that's horrible.
It's a bad thing because she's 10. She's a child. It is assumed that there was an element of coercion involved in her having sex.

At least in the U.S., a 10-year-old cannot give consent to have sex and anyone having sex with a 10-year-old is committing a felony.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,507 times
Default not knowing the girl was pregnant

The thing is that ovulation happens before menstration, so if she was sexually active with her boyfriend on a regular basis (or even just at the right time to get pregnant), she could be impregnated without even knowing ovulation had taken place.

As for abortion, when people do accurate research into the matter rather than just speculate, they discover that abortion does way more damage than going through with an unplanned pregnancy to term.
(can check the Elliot Institute for research on that matter)

Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,524,863 times
what the?>>>>
she was not abused. she had sex with a school mate. and she was surprised when she got pregnant?
at the age of ten, did she even know where babies come from? yet she was old enough to have sex? at 9???!!!!
i think i am going to be sick.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,318,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what the?>>>>
she was not abused. she had sex with a school mate. and she was surprised when she got pregnant?
at the age of ten, did she even know where babies come from? yet she was old enough to have sex? at 9???!!!!
i think i am going to be sick.
What?

Are you saying it is not abusive for a 13 year old to sexually approach a 10 year old?

I beg to differ. I am sure that my son at 13 (he is now 16) would have absolutely known that any sort of "relationship" with a 10 year old would be an abuse of power, just because he was older. He definitely saw 10 year olds as "little kids" when he was 13. He would understand that it's wrong to coerce a younger kid to give up their candy and wouldn't use his age to get something from them. Don't see how this is any different!

Not that he is having sex with anyone... he would still recognize this whole scenario as pretty effed up!

As for what's wrong with it (different poster, didn't bother to quote)... what is RIGHT about it? A 10 year old has no way to fully comprehend the effects of sexual activity, much less parenting, or even just the emotional aspects of the pregnancy experience. They certainly cannot TRULY consent!

And when people talk about teen pregnancy being "horrible", maybe it's not just the clueless. Maybe it's those who have BEEN THERE who are sad for the lost innocence and the struggle that they KNOW a pregnant teen faces. It has nothing to do with churning out a ton of cash. As another poster said, it has everything to do with increasing the struggle to simply finish your education and earn a living wage. Teen pregnancy, unless there is a TON of support, greatly burdens the child having to deal with it. It doesn't mean they won't turn out to be great parents or successful adults, just that their road has instantly become twice as rough unless they are one of the lucky few to have amazing support from family and schools and friends.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,524,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
What?

Are you saying it is not abusive for a 13 year old to sexually approach a 10 year old?

I beg to differ. I am sure that my son at 13 (he is now 16) would have absolutely known that any sort of "relationship" with a 10 year old would be an abuse of power, just because he was older. He definitely saw 10 year olds as "little kids" when he was 13. He would understand that it's wrong to coerce a younger kid to give up their candy and wouldn't use his age to get something from them. Don't see how this is any different!

Not that he is having sex with anyone... he would still recognize this whole scenario as pretty effed up!

As for what's wrong with it (different poster, didn't bother to quote)... what is RIGHT about it? A 10 year old has no way to fully comprehend the effects of sexual activity, much less parenting, or even just the emotional aspects of the pregnancy experience. They certainly cannot TRULY consent!

And when people talk about teen pregnancy being "horrible", maybe it's not just the clueless. Maybe it's those who have BEEN THERE who are sad for the lost innocence and the struggle that they KNOW a pregnant teen faces. It has nothing to do with churning out a ton of cash. As another poster said, it has everything to do with increasing the struggle to simply finish your education and earn a living wage. Teen pregnancy, unless there is a TON of support, greatly burdens the child having to deal with it. It doesn't mean they won't turn out to be great parents or successful adults, just that their road has instantly become twice as rough unless they are one of the lucky few to have amazing support from family and schools and friends.

what i mean is it she was not coerced or forced by an adult. and it looks to me like she did concent. she may not have known the consequences of her actions at the time, but for as much as she knew what was about to happen, she doesnt seem to have been forced in any way.
how do you know the 13 yr old tried to coerce HER! i guess you have never seen a young girl already boy crazy at the age of 10. i have and it's not pretty. they know not what they do, but they do send vibes around that they are ready. and a hormonal 13 yr old boy is going to get those vibes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy