Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

My Husband is worried about the name I thought of for our son. Our daughter is named Amy Lynn, I love her name so much. We're not very good at picking boy names though, it seems. Nothing sounded right for a long time, but I decided that the name David Livingston sounded great. Livingston is a family name of mine, and I really like how it sounds. My hubby is worried that the name is too long and old fashioned. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,185,368 times
I like 'David' just fine. Nothing wrong with old-school, especially versus the God-awful names I hear being used today (won't give examples because I don't want to derail your thread).

'Livingston' is a bit.......pretentious sounding, if I were to be honest. It immediately conjurs the stereotyped aristocrat. You know, the ones that always call each other 'lovey' and discuss how hard it is to find good help. If you've ever watched Family Guy, it immediately reminds me of this guy:

Mike

Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,389,149 times
I think its really nice, however if your husband is really not on board, I would look into alternatives that are similar sounding.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,389,149 times
Similar Names to Livingston for Boys & Girls

Finn Both
Rainer Boys
Lewis Boys
Logan Boys
Reginald Boys
Lawrence Boys
Willow Both
Livingstone Boys
Lorelei Girls
Aiden Boys
Teagan Both
Wallace Boys
Lincoln Boys
Flynn Both
Sage Both
Navon Boys
Connor Boys
Rowan Both
Parker Both
Lamont Boys

Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,261,566 times
I like it but more importantly you guys will have to live with it. What I don't understand is, so what if it does sound old fashioned? Where is the "worry"? It's a nice sounding name so go with it if that's what y'all decide on!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiko View Post
My Husband is worried about the name I thought of for our son. Our daughter is named Amy Lynn, I love her name so much. We're not very good at picking boy names though, it seems. Nothing sounded right for a long time, but I decided that the name David Livingston sounded great. Livingston is a family name of mine, and I really like how it sounds. My hubby is worried that the name is too long and old fashioned. What do you guys think?
David is very nice Livingston is too. It is also a family name so I don't see anything wrong with it at all. And as far as old fashion goes, who cares. He will be called David, right?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
David is a nice name (my brother's name). It's not so common anymore; that is a positive in my opinion. Too many Aidan, Braden, Cayden names these days.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,934,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiko View Post
David Livingston sounds like a very good name for a boy. If Livingston is a family name, no one can call it pretentious.

If he is teased by his peers while he is young (teach him to let it roll off), it will be more than made up for when he reaches adulthood and claims it. Can you see him in the work world with a great name like that?

Go for it.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM

912 posts, read 1,526,892 times
The name David is fantastic -- I love seeing the classic names.

Livingston is a big middle name for a little baby, but it sounds like a good distinguished name -- also, really, how often is he going to be called by his middle name? I think it's great, though, and being a family name is even better. Go for it!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,427,370 times
As others have said, on a daily basis your son will be called David (or Dave), not David Livingston. I like the use of a family name as a middle name...see no problem with it.

I work in a government office, and you should see some of the names that appear on incoming paperwork: names that are obviously made up, names with strange spellings, names that make us shake our heads in amazement. I wish parents would take a minute and think about what happens when their children go off to school with names that are hard to spell and/or pronounce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy