Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:50 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
I believe God puts everyone here for a purpose and if the baby was too terribly deformed to live then obviously the mother would miscarry or something. I don't believe in intervening in the Divine Plan.
If a loving, caring god actually existed, he/she wouldn't reach down and deform a fetus just to teach someone a lesson about something. Being a deity, I'm sure he or she could figure out a better way of getting his "purpose" across than to condemn an innocent child to suffering, pain, and a short life.

Genetics has nothing to do with a deity, it's a roll of the dice. Sometimes you come out okay, other times you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
But the question wasn't asking us what we think she should do, the question was what would YOU do. Nobody has the right tell someone else what they have to do in this regard.
And I believe I indicated what I would do. I won't go into your attack on God because that's not what this about and I believe I also stated some would disagree with me and that's just fine. I believe people have a right to believe or not believe in what they choose.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
If a loving, caring god actually existed, he/she wouldn't reach down and deform a fetus just to teach someone a lesson about something. Being a deity, I'm sure he or she could figure out a better way of getting his "purpose" across than to condemn an innocent child to suffering, pain, and a short life.

Genetics has nothing to do with a deity, it's a roll of the dice. Sometimes you come out okay, other times you don't.
I will respond to this somewhat because I feel I have to. I know I can't change you nor can you change me. I haven't died and gone to heaven yet and so therefore, I haven't been able to question God on why he does things or allows things. I really don't think, when you believe in God, that you would feel you could question God (with a capital G). I believe he's in our lives (believers' lives, that is) in good times and bad times. I don't believe he creates babies to suffer. I don't believe he puts wives in abusers hands. I believe he helps people get through enormous situations. I can't even phathom living life without him in my life. This is WHY I choose to believe. Thank you very much.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
sbd78-

Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like your parents are very special.

You gave us all a lot to consider.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Agonizing. How sad for them.

I don't know what I would do. With my second pregnancy I did not get most of those fetal diagnostic tests done, because by that time in the pregnancy I would not have terminated. So what was the point?

Like another poster said, sometimes things are much better than expected. Sometimes not. We are in the process of an adoption, and people keep asking me "what if something is wrong with them?". Do they forget that before this was an "adopted child" it was someone's "biological child"? You don't know what you will get. And you don't know what you can live with. My friend adopted a "healthy newborn". It turned out he was far from healthy, as in disabled and unable to live without constant care. If they could have requested a child of this health would they have? No! If they could go back and change it would they? No! They love him, they are glad they have him, they feel their lives blessed because he is in it.

I am totally pro-choice, BTW.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,897 times
I have been thinking about this thread for a while and I have to say I would not get the abortion. I would always wonder "what if".
There are no guarantees that a healthy baby will stay healthy, as there are many disorders that do not present themselves until later in life. It is a tough situation and I feel for those who must make the decision IRL. IMO both decisions require courage, and I wish the OP's family the best in determining what is right for them.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I'm not sure what I would do in this situation, although I feel fairly sure that if I had felt the baby move I would not be able to terminate the pregnancy. My heart goes out to anyone in this situation.

Thank heavens that abortion is still safe and legal in this country, so that if they choose to terminate they won't be committing a crime.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Somebody I know was told all kinds of things were going to be wrong with their baby and she was perfectly healthy. Medical technology is amazing, but sometimes they get it wrong. I'll hope for the best for your friend.
The same thing happened to a friend of mine. They were given specifics on what was wrong and what would happen... did the tests and studied on the conditions... and then decided... problems or no... this was their child... and was loved... so they simply would deal with it. Miracles DO happen, as we witnessed the birth of a perfect child!

However, this is the best of cases and unfortunately, for whatever reason unknown to us, not all turn out so well, and sometimes can be extremely devastating. Here's wishing all of you the strength and the wisdom to make the very best choices for you in whatever you choose to do!

Blessings to all

Old 01-17-2008, 12:34 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
All I can say is that I will be praying for all of those who are going through this.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
Wow, what a tough decision to have to make. Either decision could be right for various reasons.
I think if my wife and I were faced with that we would tend to not abort and if worse came to worse we would try to show all the love we could for the child for as long as the child was with us.
We would like to hold, cuddle, comfort it for as long as we were able to. I think even a newborn has a sense of feeling of being loved by someone.
But miracles do happen once in awhile. I have a friend that had bad news about a baby and although it did and still does have problems, the child is now an adult and has made my friend happy for the gift of this childs love. It hasn't been easy for her. There have been some bad times but my friend has no regrets about her decision to have the child.
It is heart breaking to have to be faced with making that kind of choice and maybe always thinking that whatever you did might not have been right. Such a tough thing to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy