Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times

Advertisements

There's got to be another way.

I'm 25, happily married and monogamous for 4 years, and yet we still use condoms, and I feel like a bad wife for it.

Here's the deal:

I've mapped out our financial and career trajectory (of which we're well on-track), and we've projected that we'll be completely ready for a child in 2 years (from now), in accordance to the conditions we've set that we need to meet or exceed before we're fit to reproduce.

That time is not now.

I've gone through the gamut of options:

Hormonal methods = extreme side-effects, to the point of contemplating suicide. Even with the extremely low-dose/non-systemic kinds, and many different ratios of progesterone to estrogen. They're all out.

Anything requiring spermicide = ouch. Any further details on that would be TMI.

IUD = my uterus is too small for even the Skyla, which is hormonal anyway..

Pull-out method = not effective

Fertility awareness = I've been charting this, even using a Lady Comp device (still using condoms, this is just to gather preliminary data right now), but I seem to be too irregular...it seems like I might ovulate more than once per cycle. So I'm opting against chancing it.

Abstinence = how many married couples indefinitely abstain from sex? Mentioning this because I know someone will bring this up.

That leaves condoms. We both hate them, but I am not ready to drop everything in life and have a baby right this minute. There are things we want to do in life first and ducks to get in a row.

I feel like we're the only the only married couple in the world who still uses condoms. Are there any other possible options?

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 02-25-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 05:32 PM

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I didn't see a women's health section, so this seemed to be the closest option. I didn't want this in the Relationship section since I'm focused more on the birth control aspect than the marriage aspect.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
You are not the only ones.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,988 times
Planned Parenthood has a long list of options.
https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control

Does your gyn have any ideas?

Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
I'm not sure why condoms should be considered so terrible? Maybe because it's the only method where instead of the woman handling all the negatives of bc the guy has to with a condom? I mean if you've decided nothing else works and that you don't want to get pregnant then go for it. Two years really isn't that long - he can handle it - and if he can't then reconsider having kids because there's a lot of stuff he'll have to put up with then that's not always fun!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 PM

676 posts, read 726,540 times
Try the natural skin condoms, they are more expensive but by far feel better. I've been using the pull out method for over 10yrs with success but there is always that risk and it don't work for everyone. The thin film of spermicide works well to. I suppose you could always just take plan B the next morning after unprotected sex now that it is available over the counter.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
With your small uterus, irregular periods and sensitivity to hormones...have you talked to an OBGYN about your fertility?

Old 02-26-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
With your small uterus, irregular periods and sensitivity to hormones...have you talked to an OBGYN about your fertility?
Yes, I've been seeing the same provider. She doesn't think it's a problem, especially considering that my mother had all the same issues, and she'd get pregnant just looking at a baby stroller. haha

Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,443,093 times
Have you tried the diaphragm without spermicide? Maybe in combination with pull out?

Old 02-27-2016, 01:28 PM

99 posts, read 93,146 times
Geez, my husband and I used condoms for years during marriage. The only times I got pregnant were when we didn't use them. We have 4 children together. He has a vasectomy now.

Many women don't want to use hormonal birth control, or can't due to health issues. I don't think using condoms is uncommon at all, and it doesn't make you a bad wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy