Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
So if I chopped off my index finger, and it was gone, are you saying that my hand would not be considered imperfect or mutilated?
Your idea of perfect is pristine? Then a hang nail would be imperfect. A person can be perfect and not mutilated if he has had a circumcision. His penis can be perfect and not mutilated if it has had a circumcision.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,625 times
[quote=ADVentive;5390292]
Quote:
I was not saying anything about the AAP policy except to point out the connection with the feeding issue
There is no connection between circumcision and feeding. Babies don't starve to death after being circumcized.

Quote:
In fact, none of the medical organizations recommend doing it.
In fact none? One would know this only by researching every medical organization and their recommendations or lack thereof.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,032 times
My son had his circumsized. But they didn't do it with a scalpel. They just had this little plastic ring that did it over time. He was never in any pain whatsoever.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM

650 posts, read 2,180,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipglossjunkie View Post
Snip foreskin, or leave foreskin? I want to snip it, hubby says he doesnt care, and MIL is going insane at the fact that I am considering snipping it......sigh. Husband is circum. but he is the oldest of 5 boys. His mom said he was in so much pain and it was such a cruel thing to do that she still feels bad for doing it. She left her other 4 sons in tact and is practically having a panic attack every time circumcising the baby is brought up. In all honesty we are probably going to circumcise, and just not tell her. she can find out on her own. But am curious how did you mothers who have sons, come to the conclusion and decide which route you wanted to take regarding circumcising your baby.
Okay, this is directed to the original poster only. I hope you make a decision that you can live with either way. I obviously feel very passionately about this, hence the very fired up posts. You will have to take what EVERYONE has said here and do you own research (which is what I advocated in my first post) and make an informed decision that you are happy about. Congrats on your baby.

To everyone else: If you agreed and supported my stance, thanks so much. If not, well, I was just trying to save one more innocent boy's foreskin. I stand behind everything I wrote, but I am done. I'm just preaching to people who can't open their minds to see that they could be possibly wrong, so there is no point in continuing. I have better things to do.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,519,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I'm just preaching to people who can't open their minds to see that they could be possibly wrong, so there is no point in continuing. I have better things to do.
How dissappointing that you decide to respond in this manner.

In life, not everyone is going to agree with YOU. Even over the things you are willing to go down fighting for.

And after awhile, too much preaching makes people turn away. Sometimes, the simplest approach makes the biggest impression.

As for me, my mind is open to hearing what YOU have to say, but it doesn't mean I am going to agree or even have to!!??

You have some great info & should be respected for standing your ground but you just completely discounted all of it by ending with such an offensive & juvenile tone. Now, I could care less what you even stated b/c you were so disrespectful to those who gave you the opportunity to voice your stance but didn't attack it.

"Thank you" to people who agree and whatever to anyone else? How sad to be so self-righteous.

Maybe some see what YOU are doing as wrong. Have you thought of that or are you just so close minded that you don't even think or bother to read what others have written?

Again, you have posted some really valid info, why be so immature??

Guess I see every time I come on here anymore why I don't belong to Mom groups & even worry about looking into the PTA....enough of "I" am the perfect parent b.s. is here.

Guess the opinion is that one is either chopping off their newborn's penis due to cosmetics or wants their child to catch an STD b/c they don't.

What a waste to believe this post had some validity to see that, actually, it has none.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,131,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipglossjunkie View Post
Snip foreskin, or leave foreskin? I want to snip it, hubby says he doesnt care, and MIL is going insane at the fact that I am considering snipping it......sigh. Husband is circum. but he is the oldest of 5 boys. His mom said he was in so much pain and it was such a cruel thing to do that she still feels bad for doing it. She left her other 4 sons in tact and is practically having a panic attack every time circumcising the baby is brought up. In all honesty we are probably going to circumcise, and just not tell her. she can find out on her own. But am curious how did you mothers who have sons, come to the conclusion and decide which route you wanted to take regarding circumcising your baby.
Do it. He'll thank you during 8th grade gym class in the changing room.
Plus lotsa chicks won't touch the turtle neck.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:50 PM

193 posts, read 843,296 times
I dont think your son is going to honestly have any regrets that you circumcised him, if that is what you decide to do. I see the point some women make in regards to "it is his body let him decide", and most things in life I would agree to that 100 percent, but wether or not the foreskin is there is not going to hinder him in any way in the future (but there are always exceptions to everything). You can go to the Dr. Sears website on circumcision (I completly trust his opinion). He states that Yes a baby can feel it and it is painful but if done with local anethesia, it is fine. He has done thousands and always uses local anesthia and has never had any problems. But like I said either way I am sure your son will grow up to be happy and healthy and this will be a minor thing in his life whichever choice you make. I think moms make alot bigger deal about this than it is worth. Compared to how many males are in our population, I hear waaay more women talking about it and making it so controversial than actual men themselves. This alone should tell you MOST men (not to say all) have no problem with what they have wether it be circumcised or not. I think women care about more than men do.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,131,301 times
Actually I have known 2 grown men who had it done because the uncirc'd was NOT pleasant feeling they said and it got dirty and was a hassle for them to clean. That is their decision as adults but i would rather do it to my kid as a baby than an adult. Sorry but no one recalls childhood pain at that age. Otherwise you would be traumatized for life when recalling the pain of going down the birth canal and being so smooshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Most men do not know what they are missing, since it was taken away form them when they were too young to protest.

Links to help with your research: Mothers Against Circumcision

Pictures of reconstructions from botched circ.: The Problem of Circumcision in America

Stories from men who wish they had been left intact.: Circumcision Problems & Opinions

Please do your research and do not make your choice based on what you think family, friends or future partners of your son will say or think. This is the first big parenting choice you have to make and you can not undo it when it is done...

Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,147,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Give me a break. The entire penis is not being "chopped off".

If you chopped off the tip of your index finger, yes, I would consider it imperfect but you could still use your finger & the pain would not be lifelong. You could go on living a perfectly fine life. Mutilated? No.

Some posts are bordering pure extremism.

Mutilation as stated by the American Heritage Medical Dictionary: "Disfigurement or injury by removal or destruction of a conspicuous or essential part of the body" Using the term mutilation in regards to circumcision is extreme. The part of the penis that is removed is not essential for a normal life if it's kept on or removed.
Her point is that it is an unnecessary mutilation of a perfectly fine and healthy body part for no medical reason. True?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM

10,192 posts, read 11,177,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My son had his circumsized. But they didn't do it with a scalpel. They just had this little plastic ring that did it over time. He was never in any pain whatsoever.

Exactly!!! I had both my boys circumsized....And that's how it was done. No crying, nothing from them when they had the procedure.

I just think it's a personal choice for parents. Either you do it or you don't. I don't think there is a right or wrong here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy