Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,436,929 times

Advertisements

Too old to raise children, provide for them and be there for them when they need you! I mean your on the way out here!!! Selfish I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,563,275 times
It's extremely selfish. No doubt about that! Having kids when you're either too young or too old is wrong. The child gets shortchanged with both scenarios, unfortunately. Many people have children for the wrong reasons, anyway, though.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:20 AM

402 posts, read 2,212,151 times
I have a client, I think she told me she is 54 years old. She has 6 foster kids, most of them under 10 (and with problems). I looked at her and said, "you're a saint", and she said, "no, I'm insane!".

That, I think, is a much better option if you want to have a child to love, and those children so desperately want and need it.

I agree, it's extremely selfish.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 AM

797 posts, read 2,994,115 times
I'm 32 and have 7year old twin boys, let me tell you she will definately need a lot of help. It is a huge undertaking no matter the age and while I believe God only gives us what we each can personally handle and that no baby is an accident, forcing a pregnancy at her age really is pretty selfish. I can understand her motives to give her other 6year old child siblings to bond with but really why did she have another child at 54 and how? I can only speculate that she was suffering from severe empty nest syndrome and had wrapped her identity so much in being a mom and raising children that she didn't know what else to do with herself. I wonder if she really has looked into the future far enough? Will she even be alive for her new babies to graduate or get married or to even meet her own grandchildren, only God knows.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,822,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm having this discussion on another board. what is your solution then? you yourself said if you can have them naturally at that age, "more power to you". how old will THAT mother be when those kids graduate HS?

to be clear, i'm not a fan of this. however, regulating it is MUCH scarier, IMHO. such is the quandry with medical advances.
Irregardless of if it's right or not, regulations within medicine can be done with out it being scarry. If independent ethical guidelines are applied to all situations, as is the case in other areas of medicine, then the practice of artificially creating pregancy at such advanced ages would not be condoned.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 42,673 times
Did you hear what the 60 yr.old mom of twins said in the interview? She told women, don't get a puppy, have a baby! Thats just sad. There are soooo many children waiting to be adopted.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 AM

402 posts, read 2,212,151 times
I'd love to see a second interview in about 4 weeks after having them home.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,532,554 times
Is there a prize or something for the oldest woman to give birth? I am in my sixties and have no plans to become a mother again? I had my first grandchild at 40 so I have had time to enjoy raising all of them and still was young enough to play with all of them and do all the running around and never getting much time off. I can't imagine wanting to have a baby at this age (I can't even imagine wanting to um-er, you know)! These old gals may be healthy and strong, but thing is will they be healthy and strong in 10 or 15 years when they have a child/children to raise? I think it is selfish for the child.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,436,929 times
I think what it is with adopted children is many are violent and have alot of serious issues, and most people dont' want that...I give people credit who do do that here, I know I am not that selfless of a person, I have enough of my own problems, don't need anyone elses.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,907,072 times
Um... Why would it be okay for an older woman to adopt kids, but not have them biologically? If your argument is that the kids will get gypped out of something, wouldn't adopted kids get just as gypped as bio kids? Or do they just not quite count as real kids.....

I don't get the selfish argument, either. So what if she only spends 30 years with them- if you were told your mother was going to die in 30 years, would you wish you didn't have her at all in the interim? I would MUCH rather see a woman who is a loving, caring, devoted, and intentional parent at 60 than a 30-something parent who allows nannies and au peres to raise their children so that they can concentrate on their careers, or people who are in debt up to their eyeballs thinking nothing of having another child or two. Of the three, I wouldn't call the old lady the selfish one. But which one gets the flack?

Are single mothers who use AI also selfish for having kids? What about people who are suffering from a physical or mental condition, or a terminal disease? Would you call a woman confined to a wheelchair for life selfish if she wanted/chose to have kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy