Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,628,760 times

Advertisements

I haven't had the chance to read the city local ordinance, but what are some peoples thoughts about raising backyard chickens (not roosters) and owning harvesting honey bee hives? This trend is growing popularity around the country and could Prescott/PV catch on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
My daughter and s i l did it. Very messy. Had an expensive coop. Had to keep the dogs from chasing them. Alot more care than they wanted to do. Gave it up.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 PM

404 posts, read 765,248 times
Given the projected price of eggs, it might not be a bad idea...

As for bee hives - very interesting idea but I'd be terribly concerned about liability given our litigious society. All you need is kids playing nearby to accidentally run into it and set the swarm a-buzzin'...

There are a few apiarists in the area - I listened to a presentation by one that was informative if a bit self-serving and uncouth. According to this person, keeping bees is a code violation in PV, but not in Prescott/Yavapai County. Might have more restrictions in an HOA subdivision...

A few friends and co-workers have commented that eating local honey in the spring helps to alleviate allergy symptoms. I'm going to try it next spring, since this spring was really bad.

Good luck if you do either/both - I think it would be interesting and hard work. If you have kids it might be a great educational opportunity.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Bees are wonderful creatures, without them, we would likely be extinct...but keeping them as a hobby is a lot of work, and can be expensive to get set up. Whatever you do, do not place a hive close to the chickens...as the bees fly low to enter the hive, they make a tasty target for a foraging chicken. We always had free range chickens on the farm, they did a great job of ridding the yard of pesky bugs. The greatest chore was building a secure place for them to roost...(they like to be up and away from predators), and building the nest boxes. 10 years ago, we could sell all the eggs they would produce for $2/dozen....largest profit margin by far than any other farm venture we had. Murray McMurray Hatchery is a good source for birds, they ship by overnight mail.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-20-2015, 10:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,692 times
Good information from gemstone1, except for the bees. Bees come in to collect pollen/dust off my chickens' feeders and while they're there the chickens avoid them. I can't imagine having to eat factory produced eggs. My kids learned about the value of a dollar by caring for the poultry here and selling eggs.
They ARE messy. I have to chuckle when I see people spending money on "nice looking" henhouses. I tell them your birds don't care how cute their house is, they're going to poop all over it anyhow.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:01 AM

404 posts, read 765,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Good information from gemstone1, except for the bees. Bees come in to collect pollen/dust off my chickens' feeders and while they're there the chickens avoid them. I can't imagine having to eat factory produced eggs. My kids learned about the value of a dollar by caring for the poultry here and selling eggs.
They ARE messy. I have to chuckle when I see people spending money on "nice looking" henhouses. I tell them your birds don't care how cute their house is, they're going to poop all over it anyhow.
Is there an easy way to harvest the poop? It's supposed to be a pretty good fertilizer source for gardening, isn't it? (I think it's fairly high in nitrogen content and possibly some other nutrients.)

Old 09-01-2015, 12:32 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,694,346 times
The other thing you may wish to consider is that many areas are now controlled by HOA agreements and they can limit what you put in your yard like this.
Just my thoughts.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:50 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
Is there an easy way to harvest the poop? It's supposed to be a pretty good fertilizer source for gardening, isn't it? (I think it's fairly high in nitrogen content and possibly some other nutrients.)
Chicken manure needs to be composted. It's very hot and will burn garden plants if applied straight. Henhouse clean-outs; feathers and all will light up a compost heap right quick. Cleaning the henhouse every week or two will keep a compost heap cooking nicely. The manure dust isn't good to breathe. Wear a mask during cleaning and shoveling the manure into a wheelbarrow for transport to your compost pile.
Chickens are a bit of trouble, but worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott