Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,758 times

Advertisements

i know it's been done before but i'm wondering if anyone has a different take on whether to buy in prescott or sedona i am looking to move there in a couple years but want to buy now will prescott's real estate values go up the same as sedona's or is the rate faster in sedona? just want opinions i know it's hard to predict i'm very confused sedona is beautiful but distant from the airport... very confusing b.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,922,793 times
Hi B, Sedona is a little warmer than Prescott, more expensive, more breath-taking scenery, more touristy, and has more restaurants and touristy shopping. Prescott has more regular type shopping (e.g., grocery, hardware, everyday clothing, furniture, medical, etc.). Neither location has significant industrial/commercial/business employment. In both locations, most of the jobs are in the service arena: restaurants, retail, banks, etc. Sedona is primarily a tourist spot, so there are 11,000 residents and 100,000 tourists. This can be aggrivating to the residents, because they have to deal with the traffic and congestion brought by the tourists. Then again, Sedona would not have any of the services that it has without the tourists paying for it. As far as future rate of housing cost/value increase, there is probably not a significant difference. If I had to pick, I would say that Prescott has a better chance for a higher percentage increase in value, but that's a shot in the dark. So it really comes down to how much do you love and are you willing to pay for the Sedona scenery?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM

216 posts, read 698,679 times
i agree w/ the previous post...sedona is spectaular in its beauty...but coming from a small tourist town, knowing how limited the employment is, can be frustrating in a small town

prescott area is not a whole lot better in finding employment, and also not as spectacular in scenery, oh but the history and the pronghorn and beautiful weather.....i love the prescott area

so, as the previous person said, it all depends on how much those beautiful red rocks draw you in.....but prescott also has the dells, the history, so much going on at the court house......and social security office/dmv (or mvd), walmart(good/bad)...all of these i didn't have at my previous home and kind of am very grateful for all of them

have fun in your choice, i don't think you'll go wrong with either

Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,758 times
Default the red rocks got me

i went out and visited both places and didn't really like prescott, sorry! other than the few blocks downtown that are kind of quaint (but still congested and loud with traffic) i was dismayed by the looks of the rest of the town some houses had nice views but were close together (we were looking in a low price range) i had found some houses i liked in the trees outside the town but the real estate agent said they would be hard to rent and we have to rent the property for a couple of years so.... sedona is beautiful and we found something for 300,000 that has a great view out the living room window we'll see how it is when the tourists come to town! b.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM

11 posts, read 64,061 times
We also visited Sedona and other towns around it. I found out that it was too expensive to live in Sedona. We finally decided to buy in Prescott Valley. It is less expensive and is close to Sedona, Flagstaff and Phoenix.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,932,953 times
Because it is surrounded by National Forest, Sedona has very limited ability to expand. As a result, there will be less property available which should protect house prices in a down market and get better increases in a good market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott