Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,892,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
What? It has nothing to do with that. They are committing illegal activity, by shocking the animal with 5,000 Volts+, by kicking and beating the animal, by torturing the animals.

Did you even watch the video? It was explained and shown quite clearly what illegal & cruel acts they were committing.

Thank you! Plus, electricity is much more painful and hurtful on animals, than it is for humans.

Once again, I don't believe you even read my post or watched the videos, as both the questions were clearly explained. My opinion was stated in my OP.

It's also not about "setting off an argument". It's about discussing serious issues that need to be addressed. It's about informing them. That is what forums are about.

You got me mistaken for Observer53, because I didn't write that last statement about starting an argument. That wasn't me that posted that one...Because I DID watch the video first and read your statement first. That wasn't my post....

Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM

300 posts, read 430,445 times
Rodeos have been around for over a century. They show the abilities of the cowboys and cowgirls - from bronc and bull riding, to barrel racing, to calf roping.

All this whining and crying about the animals getting hurt is BULL

Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
Rodeos have been around for over a century. They show the abilities of the cowboys and cowgirls - from bronc and bull riding, to barrel racing, to calf roping.

All this whining and crying about the animals getting hurt is BULL
But historically, they weren't using electricity to get the bucking horses to buck. Rodeo stock is generally pretty well cared for, by the professional stock providers that really care about what they are doing... these actions AT the rodeo, shown on the videos, don't fit with that... it's not whining and crying, it's WRONG. They don't need that to get the broncs to buck.

Karma, there are all sorts of events at the rodeo... the calf roping, as you indicate, and the bronc and bull riding. They are all part of the "tradition".

Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
But historically, they weren't using electricity to get the bucking horses to buck. Rodeo stock is generally pretty well cared for, by the professional stock providers that really care about what they are doing... these actions AT the rodeo, shown on the videos, don't fit with that... it's not whining and crying, it's WRONG. They don't need that to get the broncs to buck.

Karma, there are all sorts of events at the rodeo... the calf roping, as you indicate, and the bronc and bull riding. They are all part of the "tradition".
Please keep in mind that many animal "rights" groups want to stop rodeos altogether.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:50 PM

178 posts, read 481,365 times
I Wonder Why I agree that animal rights groups may have alternative agendas to end rodeos which is why my post is clear that they need to "clean rodeos ethically but not end a sport about history tradition and sportsmenship."

Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Is it OK if someone took your dog or cat and electrocuted it and beat it because they wanted to be entertained?

Then why is it OK for a rodeo to do that to its horses and other animals?
Let's not get totally off track here. I am for humane treatment of all animals. I want that clear.

That said, I am born and raised in Arizona, and have been around cattle (and horses) and ranch life all my life. And, the fact of the matter is, electric cattle prods have been part of cattle ranching for many years - getting a herd moving or loaded on box cars or trailers sometimes takes some "prodding".

Again - humane treatment is essential. But there are those who mistake what is used as inhumane when it is not. I take videos, such as the one in the first post, always with a grain of salt because those who create them have an agenda and there are times when they do not tell the whole story.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

The term "cattle prod" is used for cattle. Yet, in the videos, it is being used on horses to get them to "buck".
Sorry if I was not clear enough - prods have been used on horses, sheep and other livestock for years.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

The term "cattle prod" is used for cattle. Yet, in the videos, it is being used on horses to get them to "buck".

In other words, the horse doesn't want to buck and for the sake of entertainment, the person takes the cattle prod and applies it to the head, neck or back of the horse and then shocks it to get it to buck.

Many horses have been killed or seriously injured at these rodeos for the sake of entertainment.

All I am asking is that the rodeo practices are reviewed to see if they are treating the animals correctly. Per the video and other evidence, the animals are NOT being treated as they should be. When asked to stop the inhumane treatment, they refuse to and just cover it up.

> > >

I believe that the Prescott rodeo, along with other rodeos, exploits the animals, tortures them, and injures them for the sake of "entertainment". That is wrong.

Proverbs 12:10
“The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal, but the mercies of the wicked ones are cruel.”
Just so it's clear-- is there video evidence of these same procedures being used AT the Prescott Rodeo? I understand the concept of protesting at rodeos generally to bring these issues to light to rodeo fans and others, but I think it's useful to know whether this is a documented issue IN PRESCOTT. The videos linked are not from there.

Electric prods are not commonly used on horses or horse herds (except, I'll bet, they've been used in feedlots for slaughterhouses). There have been some issues of some show horses being abused with them, but they are hardly in common use for horses in general.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,874,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Just so it's clear-- is there video evidence of these same procedures being used AT the Prescott Rodeo? I understand the concept of protesting at rodeos generally to bring these issues to light to rodeo fans and others, but I think it's useful to know whether this is a documented issue IN PRESCOTT. The videos linked are not from there.
The PRCA (Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association)
heads the Prescott Rodeo/Prescott Frontier Days, which takes place each year in Prescott, and will do so also in June/July 2010 in Prescott.

The videos shown has the PRCA vice president shocking the animals at every event PRCA hosts. Whether it's Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona or wherever. When PRCA hosts it, they use the same techniques.

The Prescott Rodeo, which PRCA heads, now forbids videotaping of the event. Any cameras or digital recording devices will not be allowed. Coincidence? No. They don't want people recording them shocking the animals.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,670,513 times
thread is closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: