Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
And like've said before in my pther post, as of now the Saints that are 9-3 are put in the "Wildcard Hunt", while the St.Louis Rams a that 6-6 are put in #4 spot to be in the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

So how can you put a 9-3 team in the Wildcard spot while putting a 6-6 team in playoff contention?
Easy -- one team is leading its division, one team is not.

Quote:
It should be the other way around.
No it shouldn't. If you want to be assured a playoff spot, win your division. It's that simple. The reason there's a division system is to keep more teams in the playoff hunt later into the season. Otherwise you'd have a whole lot of teams whose fans would have nothing left to look forward to by mid-season. Diminished fan interest is not good for the league.

Anyone else remember the 2008 Cardinals who finished the regular season 9-7 and came within one close play of winning the Super Bowl? Gonna tell me that team didn't belong in the playoffs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:27 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,426,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even if the team with the highest wins than the other team don't win their division they still should be ahead of the team with less wins and had won their division.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Even if the team with the highest wins than the other team don't win their division they still should be ahead of the team with less wins and had won their division.
Yeah, you already said that.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

No it shouldn't. If you want to be assured a playoff spot, win your division. It's that simple. The reason there's a division system is to keep more teams in the playoff hunt later into the season. Otherwise you'd have a whole lot of teams whose fans would have nothing left to look forward to by mid-season. Diminished fan interest is not good for the league.

Anyone else remember the 2008 Cardinals who finished the regular season 9-7 and came within one close play of winning the Super Bowl? Gonna tell me that team didn't belong in the playoffs?
And look what happened to with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005 that didn't win their division and became the 6th seed, yet they beat the Bengals(who won the AFC North) in the Wildcard and went all the way and won the Super Bowl.

Quote:
If the Eagles Defense had stoped Kurt Warner and that Cardinals Offense in the NFc Championship it would have been Eagles vs Steelers in the Super Bowl. You know how Jim Johnson was when he kept blitzing so much than using his Blitz Packages wisely.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:48 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times
I have been to a number of major college football games and two NFL games. Both are quite boring, but I'd have to give the edge to college football games. The NFL games were full of vulgar drunken redneck idiots, mixed with a "sit down, watch the game, and clap" sort of vibe. College football definitely has a better crowd, less stupidity in the stands and the fans are definitely more into it. On the field...both are pretty bad, as constant commercial breaks and timeouts ruin the flow of the game.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,305 times
I love both... However there is more disparity in college football.

It's not exciting when Auburn or Oregon are playing Vandy and Washington State...

The NFL is trully "Any Given Sunday"... plus its watching the best vs the best. It's not fun watching Nadal vs a non ranked player. So its no fun watching top 5 football teams play non ranked teams.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I love both... However there is more disparity in college football.

It's not exciting when Auburn or Oregon are playing Vandy and Washington State...

The NFL is trully "Any Given Sunday"... plus its watching the best vs the best. It's not fun watching Nadal vs a non ranked player. So its no fun watching top 5 football teams play non ranked teams.
And it's no fun watching a team like the Dallas Cowboys go up against low performing teams in the NFL like the Detroit Lions.

And for you speaking of Auburn and Oregon playing low rank teams like Washington and Vandy, how did Appilician State beat Michigan in 2007 at in "The Big House" which is Michigan's Stadium?

Don't tell me you weren't suprised of that.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Appilician State beat Michigan in 2007 at in "The Big House" which is Michigan's Stadium?
That was clearly the second best college game ever.

Right after the Ohio State win over Miami (FL) in the 2002 National Championship game.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,305 times
Quote:
And it's no fun watching a team like the Dallas Cowboys go up against low performing teams in the NFL like the Detroit Lions.
I wouldn't consider the Cowboys an elite team... What Dallas Cowboys team have you been watching?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I wouldn't consider the Cowboys an elite team... What Dallas Cowboys team have you been watching?
The Cowboys play the Lions almost every season on Thanksgiving Day and they always beat the Lions.

But how about this, The Patriots playing the Cleveland Browns.

the Steelers playing the Lions

The Steelers playing the Rams.

The Colts playing the Panthers.

The Saints playing the Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football