Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times

Advertisements

that's just it though....of the native americans in this country, only a few were offended by the Redskins name. And polls have shown that there are still 72? Native American schools across the west that have a school name "Redskins"

Politicians and radio/tv personalities are taking advantage of this latest trending issue to make themselves appear "open minded, progressive, and deep thinking," but behind closed doors probably dont' care either way about the name. Just using it for political points. Disgusting really.

Look you guys.....at the end of the day, we are talking about the name of a sports team. Seriously?! Why is Obama speaking about this in front of the press?! Isn't Iraq falling aparat?! who cares about the name of a football team?

If the Redskins were to change the name, how will the United States be a better place the next day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
A. What percentage of ALL native Americans are represented by this "group"?

If 1% of white people actively sought to be called "Northern European-Americans" would that automatically mean that the other 99% felt this was a priority as well?

-and-

B. HOW would a name change help improve the lives of impoverished Indians?

And please...be specific.
I have no idea why you keep beating the same drum. For the 11th time a name change would not improve the many other problems NAs face. Nobody claimed it would. You have found excuses to dismiss my other analogies so I'll try a third one:

If I kept my neighbor up at night with loud music it's a problem for him. Not as big of a problem as his 6 screaming kids with Rickets but it's a problem. So if I stop playing loud music late at night it would be the right thing to do even though it does nothing to solve his problem of 6 screaming kids with Rickets. Why would anyone make the claim that stopping the late music should cure Rickets or it shouldn't be done at all? That is what you are arguing and it's a crazy argument.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:43 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
that's just it though....of the native americans in this country, only a few were offended by the Redskins name. And polls have shown that there are still 72? Native American schools across the west that have a school name "Redskins"

Politicians and radio/tv personalities are taking advantage of this latest trending issue to make themselves appear "open minded, progressive, and deep thinking," but behind closed doors probably dont' care either way about the name. Just using it for political points. Disgusting really.

Look you guys.....at the end of the day, we are talking about the name of a sports team. Seriously?! Why is Obama speaking about this in front of the press?! Isn't Iraq falling aparat?! who cares about the name of a football team?

If the Redskins were to change the name, how will the United States be a better place the next day?
It would show that racism, no matter how small of a scale, is not tolerated.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:49 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea why you keep beating the same drum. For the 11th time a name change would not improve the many other problems NAs face. Nobody claimed it would. You have found excuses to dismiss my other analogies so I'll try a third one:

If I kept my neighbor up at night with loud music it's a problem for him. Not as big of a problem as his 6 screaming kids with Rickets but it's a problem. So if I stop playing loud music late at night it would be the right thing to do even though it does nothing to solve his problem of 6 screaming kids with Rickets. Why would anyone make the claim that stopping the late music should cure Rickets or it shouldn't be done at all? That is what you are arguing and it's a crazy argument.
I believe the answer they want is that it would cure cancer, stop global hunger and end all wars.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
that's just it though....of the native americans in this country, only a few were offended by the Redskins name. And polls have shown that there are still 72? Native American schools across the west that have a school name "Redskins"...
link please? like most of the nonsense you post as fact, this too is laughable

tick...tock...tick...tock...

Last edited by Ghengis; 06-20-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I believe the answer they want is that it would cure cancer, stop global hunger and end all wars.
Or it's not worth doing at all. Got it.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

In all of your weird examples stopping a hypothetical action or taking a hypothetical action literally helps out a hypothetical situation.

By changing the name of a sports team (a name they've had for 82 years) NOTHING, literally NOTHING is "helped" or "improved" in the lives of Indians.

An example of how the Redskins could help out a situation by making a change:

Let's say that FedEx Field (where the Redskins play their home games) used too much water that was supposed to go to local residents. The residents protest...and the Redskins use less water at the stadium.

THAT is an example of the team making a change that actually matters to people and would help people out.

Changing the name of the team does ZERO to help out native Americans!

Claiming that the team name is a major priority for American Indians is an insult to them because it ignores REAL problems that exist on the reservations.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
In all of your weird examples stopping a hypothetical action or taking a hypothetical action literally helps out a hypothetical situation.

By changing the name of a sports team (a name they've had for 82 years) NOTHING, literally NOTHING is "helped" or "improved" in the lives of Indians.

An example of how the Redskins could help out a situation by making a change:

Let's say that FedEx Field (where the Redskins play their home games) used too much water that was supposed to go to local residents. The residents protest...and the Redskins use less water at the stadium.

THAT is an example of the team making a change that actually matters to people and would help people out.

Changing the name of the team does ZERO to help out native Americans!

Claiming that the team name is a major priority for American Indians is an insult to them because it ignores REAL problems that exist on the reservations.
The team itself would probably benefit from a name change the most. Everyone would want the old merchandise and the new. Also, it would be a good thing to do so they would probably get major deniro from the publicity and advertising.

Who knows maybe Native Americans would be more involved in American football?

Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Since the US government has all this time on their hands to handle important issues like this, why not generate a vote on every reservation by all native americans that are enrolled members of a tribe. Of course, almost anyone could vote even if they're not native americans since no one would be forced to show any ID's.

One question on the ballot with national security at stake:

ARE YOU OFFENDED BY THE USE OF THE TERM "REDSKINS" AS USED FOR ATHLETIC TEAMS?

Yes _____ No_____

If over 50% (or 60% or 70%, pick one) of the vote say yes, then the US government forces the name change without any recourse. They have proven that they can do this as we now know since the 3 branches of the government meant to keep each other in check are no longer functional.

Phew!!! Now maybe the administration can concentrate on discovering the major issues of the world prior to having to first hear about them on the network news.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:25 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The team itself would probably benefit from a name change the most. Everyone would want the old merchandise and the new. Also, it would be a good thing to do so they would probably get major deniro from the publicity and advertising.

Who knows maybe Native Americans would be more involved in American football?
It would be smart financially to change the name but, ultimately, it wouldn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football