Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times

Advertisements

We all know the 'genius' tag that has been labeled on Bill Belichick, many think he's the best coach in history and you can certainly make the case that he is one of them. But, when i see some of these bumbling idiots out there as head coaches, i wonder how good Belichick really has to be to 'outcoach' some of them. Do you really have to be an epic genius to outcoach Norv Turner (for example) or some other clown out there?

They say that Belichick's big advantage is his ability to break down videotape and find little nuances in the tape and exploit that and this is his biggest advantage. One of my theories on why Belichick is so good isnt necessarily his tape break down, its something else that makes him incredibly brilliant and that is the idea that you give up size for intelligence. There arent too many small players in the NFL yet, it seems like Belichick's entire premise is to get a small intelligent guy like Wes Welker and turn that into the cornerstone of their offense.

Also, look at their teams a bunch of years ago, they were anchored by Tedy Bruschi on defense, he was the 'signal caller' for the most part out there....and Bruschi is SMALL for NFL standards. You wont find too many linebackers smaller than Bruschi who play at such a high level....but it comes down to intelligence and Belichick needs players who are incredibly 'football smart' like Brady, Bruschi and Welker types.

its brilliant strategy because most players in the NFL are HUGE so you might think that the biggest and strongest team has an edge, but in the world according to Belichick, small intelligent players are as valuable as bigger and less intelligent players and Belichick seems to really gravitate to the player with the very high football IQ...that way, he can instill his ideas into these players. Its like New England, at almost all times, has multiple 'coaches' on the field and it starts with Tom Brady who has a football IQ that's as high as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Bill Belichik helps himself by making good personnel decisions. Though he's a hech of a football coach, I think he may be better at judging talent, and identifying which players would fit in well with his system.

Tom Brady in the 6th round? As much as I hate his guts, the guy is a first ballot hall of famer. Belichhik won his first 2 rings as coach with a defense and Brady more of a "game manager," and then won his 3rd with Brady leading the team to victory.

Belichhik is an arrogant jerk, which even most Patriots fans will admit. New England could be up by 20 points in the 4th quarter and belichik goes for it on 4th down. I get the whole "if you don't like it, stop it," but come on man LOL.

But Belichik is a football genius. He knows how to find players that fit well into his system, he judges talent well, and he's a great X's and O's guy. Probably the best coach in the NFL over the last 20 years. Of course, seeing something in Tom Brady that nobody else did sure has helped his cause while coaching the Patriots.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
He wasn't very good in Cleveland. When he got Brady he became very smart. Just like Shanahan and Elway.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
In Bill I trust. That was a first down on 4 and 2 back @ Indy in '09.........I'll never let it go!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Since he was caught for cheating spying and videotaping pregame walk arounds he hasnt won anything.Coincidence? Gimme a coach like Tom Coughlin. Extremely underrated, made Jacksonville a winning team when he was there, and has handed Bilechick a wuppin two times in the big dance when it matters.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Since he was caught for cheating spying and videotaping pregame walk arounds he hasnt won anything.Coincidence? Gimme a coach like Tom Coughlin. Extremely underrated, made Jacksonville a winning team when he was there, and has handed Bilechick a wuppin two times in the big dance when it matters.
I would hardly call the two wins by the Giants "wuppins" as they were both very close games that could have gone either way.

Name another coach who has been more consistent over a period of time, say 10 years, in the history of the NFL. You can count on 1 hand.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Belichick without Brady: (7 years), 52-60, 5 losing seasons, only one playoff win.

Belichick with Brady: (9 years), 98-34, 9 winning seasons, 3 championships.

Belichick Super Bowl wins after caught cheating = 0

Coughlin has made great teams in multiple cities with a wide array of players and never a Tom Brady HOF level all time great.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Belichick without Brady: (7 years), 52-60, 5 losing seasons, only one playoff win.

Belichick with Brady: (9 years), 98-34, 9 winning seasons, 3 championships.

Belichick Super Bowl wins after caught cheating = 0

Coughlin has made great teams in multiple cities with a wide array of players and never a Tom Brady HOF level all time great.
So you're saying Coughlin is a better coach than Belichick?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,414 times
The only thing Bill Belichick is good at is cheating and running up the score against bad teams.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:47 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Well, after the video taping game, he actually won 17 straight games before losing on a fluke in the SB.

By no means am I saying what he did was right, BUT I will still give the man credit for being a good coach. Coughlins two SB wins hung in the balance on incredible plays that his players made. I'd say if anything those two coached to a stalemate in those games and the Giants players made one more play than their opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football