Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
We'll see about that. If you don't want him, send him to Cleveland.

Personally I'd like to keep him in NY, but Tannenbaum insulted and degraded him so much he's not going to want to stay.
I don't get this notion that Tebow was somehow mistreated. The Jets traded for him, and when they got him into camp and saw him in action they realized he wasn't nearly as good as they thought he was. When the trade was first announced I said it was going to be a disaster because the Jets already had a bunch of locker room issues. Tebow's press and the following he brings with him amounted to dumping gas on an inferno.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I don't get this notion that Tebow was somehow mistreated. The Jets traded for him, and when they got him into camp and saw him in action they realized he wasn't nearly as good as they thought he was. When the trade was first announced I said it was going to be a disaster because the Jets already had a bunch of locker room issues. Tebow's press and the following he brings with him amounted to dumping gas on an inferno.
The problem is that he was brought in as a publicity stunt, not as a serious player. They didn't put together packages that made use of his skills, they didn't work to develop him at all. And the last two games of the season they played everyone at QB except him, even though he was ostensibly #2 on the depth chart. That's a snub, and a big one.

If he wasn't that good they should have cut him loose before the trade deadline. They had lots of opportunities to do so well before now. And if they were going to do that to him at the end of the season they really should have. Except that he was there as a publicity stunt.

I feel bad for the guy, he really never had a fair chance like he should have, and this is after he takes Denver to the playoffs and they show their gratitude by dumping him off on the Jets circus. I hope he goes somewhere where he has a legitimate chance to play, and develop good QB skills.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 PM

589 posts, read 851,106 times
Quote:
We'll see about that. If you don't want him, send him to Cleveland.

Personally I'd like to keep him in NY, but Tannenbaum insulted and degraded him so much he's not going to want to stay.

When you're as bad as Tebow, you don't get to decide where you go. You cross your fingers, and hope that you get a chance to go anywhere.

He'll be very very lucky if any team, Jacksonville included, is willing to give him a try.

Maybe if he's given his outright release by the Jets, so that he doesn't cost anyhing. But, I can't see any team giving up a draft choice or a player in trade, in order to get him. Plus, what team wants to put up with the circus that follows him around, especially when he's at best, a backup?

As I mentioned before, Tebow has been given a chance in practice every day. Clearly, he showed that he couldn't cut it, otherwise he would have gotten more playing time. With both Tannenbaum's and Ryan's jobs on the line, had either of them thought that Tebow could have helped in any way, he would have received more playing time, had he deserved or earned it.

Bluescreens right. I think the Jets thought that he might be good enough to push Sanchez, hence the trade, but once they got a look at his actual skills in practice, they were surprised at how bad he was.

I'll grant you, that Tebow seems to be a genuine nice guy. But that shouldn't have anything to do with how he is evaluated. He's going to have to earn any chance that he gets, otherwise he'll be out of the league, just like hundreds of first round busts before him.

Last edited by Nomad58; 12-31-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 AM

570 posts, read 581,280 times
I thought they already have a rb?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Tim Tebow is not an NFL quality quarterback yet, though I am not sure he will be one in the future either.

The reason the Jets started Sanchez instead of Tebow is because McElroy did not recognize his concussion symptoms until Thursday. At that point, the game plan had already been put in place. TT would not have been able to run the game plan with his skill set, and creating a game plan on Thursday, with only a Friday practice and Saturday's walk through to implement it, was not an option. Sanchez was chosen to run it.

Tebow's contributions to Denver's success should not be minimized, but while he did go 8-5 with the Broncos last year, he lost 4 of the last 5 games he played there -- including a humiliating 7-3 home loss to KC in Week 17. You don't beat teams in the NFL by scoring only 3 points. Another problem was the number of 3 and outs the Broncos offense had while Tebow was in control. Denver's defense got little rest, and inevitably broke down as the games wore on. Against the Steelers, the winning touchdown was a 19 yard pass that Demarius Thomas ran the rest of the way. If Thomas gets tackled, I have sincere doubts whether the Broncos could have driven down to score the winning TD.

Simply put, Tebow does not make decisions fast enough, does not go through his progressions, and cannot throw the football consistently and accurately enough for him to be a threat. His waiting in the pocket leads to scrambles (which he is good at) and/or sacks and holding penalties.

Incidentally, Broncos' OC Mike McCoy's ability to make lemonade out of the TT lemons he was handed is one of the big reasons why he is one of the hottest candidates for teams needing a new HC.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
You really think bringing Tebow in was Ryan's idea? The whole project was Tannenbaum's baby.
Just questioning how you thought Tannenbaum "insulted and degraded" Tebow.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Just questioning how you thought Tannenbaum "insulted and degraded" Tebow.
Brought in as the #2 QB, and then skipped over. If they weren't serious about playing him then they should have traded him. But they wanted him around for the publicity, and that's a GM call, not a coach call.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
A little comedy relief.

https://twitter.com/Hochentweet/stat.../photo/1/large

Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Tebow is an athelete but not a QB. For those saying someone could work with him or teach him, no, you can't. He's not in High School. At this point, you either know how to throw a football or you don't. Guys can have their technique tweaked and cleaned up sometimes, but even that doesn't always work because when you have been throwing a certain way your entire life, it's hard to change. And you need a solid basis to work with. Some people just don't have it. It's like pitching. You can't teach someone to throw a 100mph fast ball. You either can or can't. What you can do is coach/teach/tweak control so that that 100mph fast ball finds the strike zone. Same with football. If there is a natural ability there, mechanics can be tweaked to improve accuracy, timing, etc. But not the ability to throw. Which is Tebow's problem. He needs more than a tweaking. The guy can't throw and you aren't going to be able to fix that.
I feel sorry for the true Jax fans if they end up with him. Because while the gimmick may fill the seats for a few games because they love him so much there, he will not fix the franchise's QB or winning problems and will only exacerbate them.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM

589 posts, read 851,106 times
Quote:
Brought in as the #2 QB, and then skipped over. If they weren't serious about playing him then they should have traded him. But they wanted him around for the publicity, and that's a GM call, not a coach call.

The Jets didn't insult Tebow. They brought him in hoping that he could push Sanchez for the starting job. That's why they gave the Bronco's a few draft choices for him. Tebow just didn't meet their expectations. So actually, it's Tebow that should be apologizing to the Jets for being such a disappointment. He wasted their time, money, and draft choices.

What he did with the opportunity the Jets gave him, was entirely up to Tebow. No team ever guarantees a player that he will start, no matter what his performance level is. Any player has to prove himself, each day in practice, and during every game.

People on this board seem to forget, Tebow was given chances over and over again, each day in practice. Obviously, when given those practice chances, he showed that he couldn't cut it. If he could, Tannebaum and/or Ryan would have gladly played him, rather then risk losing their jobs.

The argument seems to be, "It doesn't matter that Tebow is terrible in practice. He's a 'gamer', so the Jets should give him the starting job, no matter how bad he is in practice." That's a ridiculous argument. I'm guessing that most of the contributors to this thread played some type of team sports at some point in their lives. How would you feel if each day in practice you proved that you were clearly better than another player on your team, yet at game time, that other player got the start over you, because he's a 'gamer?'

Also, to argue that since the Jets gave up a 4th and 6th round pick, they somehow own Tebow something, is just plain wrong. First round draft choices are cut every year. The teams don't owe the players anything. The players have to perform.

Come on. Tebow may be a nice guy, but he'll never be an NFL QB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football