Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
People on this board seem to forget, Tebow was given chances over and over again, each day in practice. Obviously, when given those practice chances, he showed that he couldn't cut it. If he could, Tannebaum and/or Ryan would have gladly played him, rather then risk losing their jobs.
We're not forgetting that. What YOU seem to be forgetting is that they could have done any number of things to remove him from the #2 QB position if he couldn't cut it, and they SHOULD have done so. They didn't. They kept him at that position in the depth chart, but then refused to actually treat him like the #2 QB. Because he was only there for publicity, not as a professional athlete.

If someone did that to me I would have been insulted. It's pretty unprofessional.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
The Jets didn't insult Tebow. They brought him in hoping that he could push Sanchez for the starting job. That's why they gave the Bronco's a few draft choices for him. Tebow just didn't meet their expectations. So actually, it's Tebow that should be apologizing to the Jets for being such a disappointment. He wasted their time, money, and draft choices.

What he did with the opportunity the Jets gave him, was entirely up to Tebow. No team ever guarantees a player that he will start, no matter what his performance level is. Any player has to prove himself, each day in practice, and during every game.

People on this board seem to forget, Tebow was given chances over and over again, each day in practice. Obviously, when given those practice chances, he showed that he couldn't cut it. If he could, Tannebaum and/or Ryan would have gladly played him, rather then risk losing their jobs.

The argument seems to be, "It doesn't matter that Tebow is terrible in practice. He's a 'gamer', so the Jets should give him the starting job, no matter how bad he is in practice." That's a ridiculous argument. I'm guessing that most of the contributors to this thread played some type of team sports at some point in their lives. How would you feel if each day in practice you proved that you were clearly better than another player on your team, yet at game time, that other player got the start over you, because he's a 'gamer?'

Also, to argue that since the Jets gave up a 4th and 6th round pick, they somehow own Tebow something, is just plain wrong. First round draft choices are cut every year. The teams don't owe the players anything. The players have to perform.

Come on. Tebow may be a nice guy, but he'll never be an NFL QB.
One thing that kills me with the Tebow supporters, and I get that he is a likeable guy and i'm not wishing him failure, but look at how players have come out and made comments that the guy can't play or as it was put "he's horrible" or terrible. That should tell you everything. It's rare that a player comes out and say something like that. There's trash talk and calling others over-rated but I can't think of another example where teammates have said "the guy's horrible".

Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
One thing that kills me with the Tebow supporters, and I get that he is a likeable guy and i'm not wishing him failure, but look at how players have come out and made comments that the guy can't play or as it was put "he's horrible" or terrible. That should tell you everything. It's rare that a player comes out and say something like that. There's trash talk and calling others over-rated but I can't think of another example where teammates have said "the guy's horrible".
If he was really that bad they should have moved him to #3 on the depth chart. Is that so much to ask?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM

589 posts, read 850,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
If he was really that bad they should have moved him to #3 on the depth chart. Is that so much to ask?

What's the difference? If you're not #1, you aren't playing anyway.

Once they got a look at Tebow in practice, he was never going to be their #2 QB. That's no ones fault but his own. The only reason that they kept him at #2 on the depth chart was because the Jets only activate 2 QB's for a game.

Since Tebow also played punt protector, and in the occassional Wildcat series, it didn't make sense to activate both Sanchez and McElroy, (they both have essentially the same skill set) and deactivate Tebow. Had they done that, they would have had to revamp their punt team, and goal line packages too.

Look, this kind of thing happens to hundreds of NFL players every week, of every year. All teams do what they gotta do. It's a tough cut throat business. Why do you think that Tebow deserves any special treatment? Just because he's a 'nice guy' doesn't mean he should be protected from the harsh realities of the NFL.

There've been hundreds of nice guys cut before him, and there will be hundreds more cut long after Tebow has left for the CFL, UFL or where ever else he might end up. Who knows? Maybe in a couple of years, we'll be able to see him down here, on the Jacksonville Sharks AFL team. That's where Chris Leak ended up last year, and Leak was good enough to beat out Tebow back in 2006, during Tebows freshman year at Florida. So, you never know...............

Last edited by Nomad58; 01-03-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
What's the difference? If you're not #1, you aren't playing anyway.
Tell that to Greg McElroy.

Teams usually have 3 QBs on the active roster at any one time, though a few get by with two. Unless one was injured, all three were active.

They could also have made Tim an RB, a TE, even a CB, and he still could have served as punt protector and Wildcat QB. It's completely arbitrary. They did NOT have to leave him as the #2 QB in the depth chart. Unless they wanted the publicity of having Tim Tebow as their #2 QB. Which was the whole idea.

Which is another reason I'm glad Tannenbaum is gone. Anyway we'll see when he ends up somewhere else (probably Jacksonville). If they run an honest competition for the job, we'll see how he does. At least we can be relatively certain it won't be a publicity thing anymore, should just be professionalism.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
The Broncos refused to differentiate between Tebow and Brady Quinn last year. They were both co-#2 on the depth chart. Nomad hit on part of it, but I also believe that Tebow's unhinged fanbase and the obsessive media attention paid to him are also to blame. The Tebowphiles would've gone ape **** had he been demoted to 3rd string or assigned to a position other than quarterback.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM

589 posts, read 850,824 times
Quote:
Tell that to Greg McElroy.

Teams usually have 3 QBs on the active roster at any one time, though a few get by with two. Unless one was injured, all three were active.

They could also have made Tim an RB, a TE, even a CB, and he still could have served as punt protector and Wildcat QB. It's completely arbitrary. They did NOT have to leave him as the #2 QB in the depth chart. Unless they wanted the publicity of having Tim Tebow as their #2 QB. Which was the whole idea.

Which is another reason I'm glad Tannenbaum is gone. Anyway we'll see when he ends up somewhere else (probably Jacksonville). If they run an honest competition for the job, we'll see how he does. At least we can be relatively certain it won't be a publicity thing anymore, should just be professionalism.

No, the Jets typically only had two QB's active for their games, as it the case for most teams these days. Yes, all 3 were still on the roster, but only 2 were made eligible to actually play in the games. That's why Tebow had to be #2. They needed him for the punt team, and wildcat. The only time the Jets considered activating all three, was when there was uncertainty about the severity of Tebows rib injury.
NY Jets

I have to tell you, you're the first person that I've ever heard suggest Tebow as a cornerback. I can 100% assure you, that truly would be every wide receivers wet dream. As a running back, he's much too slow and not the least bit allusive. As for TE or H back, I haven't really ever seen him used as a receiver before, (and I've been watching him since he was in High School, because he lives a few miles down the road) so I don't know if he could handle that either. I'm guessing no, because it's a little late to be learning a new position, unless you're a fantastic raw athlete, which Tebow isn't.

I have to also disagree with the Jets keeping him at #2 just for the pub. I think it would have been just the opposite. Once Tebow got hurt, the Jets could have put him on IR or the PUP list, and not had to deal with any of the questions about why they weren't playing him, once Sanchez started to go belly up. Instead they kept him at #2, and endured the questions from the press. The Jets are in NYC, and already sell out all their games. The last thing they need is more bad publicity.

The biggest mistake you make is suggesting that the decision process it's all arbitrary. Nothing could be further from the truth. The sad fact is that Tebow just isn't good enough, and never will be. That's why the Bronco's were the only team to think he was worth a first round pick. Why the Bronco's were so quick to trade him after last season, why there were only two NFL teams interested in him when the Bronco's were trying to trade him last year, why the Jets never played him and will now give him his outright release, why some Jet players were openly talking about how bad he is, and why MAYBE if he's lucky there is still one team interested in him now, as an unrestricted free agent.

At some point you have to look at the actions of every GM and coach in the league, and figure that there has to be a reason no one wants him.

There's no shame in not making it in the NFL. It's happened to Heisman trophy winning QB's Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, Gino Torretta, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Matt Leinhart, and Troy Smith, and now Tim Tebow, just in the past 25 years. Testaverde, and Palmer were just average at best, and the jury is still out on Sam Bradford, and Cam Newton. Actually, when you really take a look at the list, you have to go all the way back to Roger Staubach in 1963, to find a Heisman winning QB that actually lived up to the hype. RGIII seems poised to finally break the Heisman curse.

Last edited by Nomad58; 01-03-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You are getting WAY ahead of yourself by putting him on Jacksonville now.....

Remember last year after the playoffs? Everyone and his mother thought he was a perfect fit for Jacksonville and look who ended up signing him.

I would just hold off speculation until it becomes official....
New Jaguars GM: 'I can't imagine a scenario' where Tebow comes to Jacksonville

Lookie here...told you guys that there's no guarantee he'll end up in J'ville....

The GM doesn't want him..

Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
New Jaguars GM: 'I can't imagine a scenario' where Tebow comes to Jacksonville

Lookie here...told you guys that there's no guarantee he'll end up in J'ville....

The GM doesn't want him..
Here's a scenario:

Shahid Khan: Get Tebow here so we can sell tickets to Tebowites. Make him MJD's fullback.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Ouch...poor guy. I wonder if he could really be out of football next year...

Between his drive and ego (i don't mean ego negatively here), i doubt Timmy would want to go somewhere where he'd be the 3rd string QB. That dudes wants to play, and play as a QB. He doesn't seem to be open to becoming a full back or tight end, even though he's built like one.

And I doubt any NFL teams would pick him up and place him any higher than 3rd string on their QB depth chart....which wouldn't float for Timmy.

Maybe its time for him to start his own mega church. "Pastor Tebow." kinda has a ring to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football